Clear All

1-Anything that has vinegar in it.
    2-Anything with tomatoes in it.
    3-Anything with MSG in it.
    4-Chocolate
    5-Tea
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Tomato Products-especially Spaghetti and Chili
      Chocolate
      Carbonated Beverages
      Anything with Citric Acid in it
      And I have to be careful about how much sugar I eat at a time or that will flare me too.

I've been able to eat more of these things since being on Elmiron and Elavil. I can tolerate a piece or two or chocolate a day and I can have pizza once a week with no problems. Afraid I've seen the last of my chili and spaghetti eating days, and carbonation still makes me really sick.

Comment

I've never really drank tea, coffee, alcohol, or soda, so I don't know where they rank. Here are my worst triggers

1) soy
        2) walnuts or pecans
        3) citrus! I can sometimes have low acid orange juice, but if I have it too frequently, I start to flare
        4) curing, smoking, or aging of any sort
        5) MSG, had major flare once when I accidentally had some, I literally was sleeping next to the toilet because I would pee very little, walk back to bed (about 10 ft), and need to go again
        6) Vitamin C and B vitamins, I had a week long flare after eating some generic cheerios. Those sprayed on vitamins on cereal are the worst!

My symptoms include a burning pain, bloating (I can't wear jeans when I flare majorly, only a pair of wide leg pants that I made or skirts), and frequency (my last flare I was going every 30 minutes), and a stabbing needle pain at the beginning of my urination (only on major flares). They all intensify the worse my flare is, but for smaller flares, one thing will usually be bigger than the others. I don't know if any of the symptoms correlate with certain foods or not, though.

Comment

Fruit and fruit juice
          sodas
          milk, yogurt
          vitamins

It's funny how we are all so different with the foods we can tolerate. For me, chocolate is the first thing I grab when I have bladder pain. Chocolate actually calms my bladder down. When I read how others can tolerate yogurt everyday, my first thought is ouch! How can they tolerate that stuff!?!??! Then my second thought is dang it, I'm jealous!
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
          Mary Anne Radmacher

Comment

You're the one being able to eat chocolate! I think the rest of us are jealous of you! I haven't found anything that calms my bladder down... but I do find it interesting milk gives you trouble. How so?
            [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Tomatoes and tomato products, multivitamins, onions, vinegar (although the am't in a small bit of mustard doesn't bother me). Gosh I've gotten to the point to where I just removed the no no foods from my diet and can't even remember what all flares me lol!!!!!

Comment

I can eat a "little" bit of chocolate with only uping my frequency and sometimes, it's just worth it. Give me cheap chocolate like a easter bunny and I'll want to die from the pain. I thought honeydew was okay--it is when you don't gorge yourself on it. Regular tea sends me thru the roof.

Comment

Coffee is my main trigger, but I can handle a little bit of the low-acid stuff once in a while. I've had problems before when I've eaten too much sourdough bread or too many peanuts, and dried cranberries or cran juice is a no-no.

Most other things I can have--tea doesn't bother me at all, and neither do soy foods or any fruits or veggies (thank goodness, since I'm vegan). A lot of common trigger foods I have in moderation, to be on the safe side--chocolate, vinegars, citrus fruits, etc.

I think my *biggest* trigger, though, is not drinking enough water. When I'm flaring, I'll chug water like mad, and I get incredibly sick of drinking water. So when I'm feeling okay, I don't drink as much water as I ought to.
                  Diagnosed with IC in 2004.

Comment

Wow. This is a great thread. Since i am relatively new to all this..I don't know all my triggers yet, however..We drink organic, shadegrown coffee and I dranks some yesterday and was in AGONY all day.

Cranberry Juice had me keeled over..heaing pad, tens unit the works.

Has anyone been able to drink the coffee that is sold at theIC store?

Photo 315.jpg

Photo 106.jpg
                    Mimi~

Currently battling:
                    Migraines
                    IC
                    Panic attacks/Anxiety Disorder

Current Treatments:
                    Pain Meds and Anxiety Meds
                    Gentle Physical Therapy
                    Yoga
                    Heating Pad~my best friend
                    Lots of hot baths w/ Epsom Salts & Baking Soda
                    Tens Unit
                    Prayer

Comment

The coffee sold at the ICN Shop is very low acid. I can drink one cup of low acid coffee.

Donna
                      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I've been able to drink the Trader Joe's low acid french blend with no problems, but I never have more than about a half cup at a time.

Kava (low-acid instant) works too, but it's not very tasty, IMHO. The trader joe's stuff at least tastes like real coffee, even if it isn't that great.
                        Diagnosed with IC in 2004.

Comment

So far, my main triggers seem to be the couple of days before my period, intense exercise two days in a row, sex (about 50% of the time now, which is way better than it was), black pepper, powdered garlic, preservatives, MSG.

I haven't tried any foods in the "usually problematic" column at all since being diagnosed in February. However, I know that when I read that column, the entire list was pretty much my diet prior to knowing I had IC. I barely ate anything at all from the "usually ok" column, and only ate foods that were very high acid. I just didn't know any better.

My diet consisted of mostly grilled/smoked meats, very spicy food like wasabi with my sushi, thai food (the spicier the better), green tea, black tea, coffee, the darkest chocolate known to mankind, yogurt daily, aged cheeses, berries, tomatoes, cranberries, nuts everyday, etc., etc. All the bladder killers. Oh, and lets not forget my huge regimen of vitamins and minerals and Omega-3s and fiber capsules, etc.

For the poster that asked....when I get a flare, the pain isn't different, it is just worse. The pain I experience is a burning nerve pain. It feels kind of like someone has taken a hot piece of metal and placed it around my vulva and is holding it there. Sometimes the pain goes from the front of my pubic hair to my butt and down my legs. I also get urgency and urethral pain (I actually think it is spasms, but cannot prove that).
                          Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

Tomotos, spicy food.. to scared 2 try grapes they were my fav.. mustard can't have but ok with mayo and alil vinger
                            Angela

Comment

Here's my list- its short as I don't have as many food triggers --
                              I can drink a cup of decaf coffee (not regular coffee) anymore than one cup, forget it- I'm gone.
                              Cashews--found that out a few months ago! No more of them!! pain is NOT WORTH IT!!)
                              MSG
                              Some sauces: A-1; BBQ;Hot sauce

I can eat pizza now and then - as long as I don't eat more than 1 or 2 small slices; and maybe some chocolate every once in awhile. (just have to have plenty of water to go with it)

Comment

juices: orange, cranberry (not fond of it anyway!) and cider (bummer cuz I LOVE it!)

Non-decaf soda, coffee, or tea. Caffeine is the devil. I am also effected, to a lesser effect to decaf as well, and am working on weaning off. I got some of the Pero from the store, and am aquring a taste for it. Figured getting totally off the coffee is best. Tea is not a problem cuz I rarely drink it, unless I am sick. Soda-tough one! Been drinking the root beer on ice, like described in the "if you really must have pop" section of the diet handbook...but only 1 a day. Hard on me having gone from 2-3 diet caff free pepsis a day. eek!

Haven't tried giving up chocolate, but it is likely a trigger, based on it's caffeine content. I have a serious sweet tooth, and lately my cravings are BAD. Currently on prednisone for my RA...need to get off it, much easier to resist the cravings without that evil/wonderful med on board. (love/hate relationship with prednisone).

Alcohol. Horrible. I was never a big drinker, but since starting on Methotrexate for RA, I can't drink at all, so it's forced me to give up that one. Nothing like the threat of serious liver problems to get you off a bad thing!

I've not really tried to eliminate other things, because I am still struggling with cutting the others out. I'd imagine perhaps tomatoes would be bad, but honestly haven't noticed probs with stuff like sauces, etc. Haven't eaten a plain raw tomato in ages, perhaps that would bug me.

All that said, having IBS (constipation type), I find that my IBS exacerbates the IC symptoms. Thus foods that aggravate the IBS, can also indirectly affect my IC symptoms. So foods that make me bloat are troublesome. Fatty foods also. Plus every stupid med that "dries me out", LOL!
                                My dx: RA, Fibro, Interstitial Cystitis, Bipolar Type 2, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, IBS
                                My meds: MTX, Leukovorin, Humira, Prednisone for RA flares, Celebrex, Orphenedrine, Tramadol as needed, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Lyrica, Trazodone, Nexium, Singulair, Atarax, Elmiron, Provigil, and Macrobid/Trimethoprim (rotate monthly). I also take a multivitamin, Magnesium, Calcium supplements, fiber supplements, probiotics, and vitamin D.
                                Current treatments: bladder instillations

Come play with me on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X