No announcement yet.

Poll: What are your worst food triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strawberries and cranberries! I have given them up for life! but like some of you have said, food never really seemed to be an issue so I didn't pay much attention. but now that I've had IC for 5 years I'm trying to get better at it. did it take anyone else a ridiculous amount of time to figure out your trigger foods?

I also have a feeling that any drink with caffeine and carbonation are not so great for me. I'm sensitive to water and the 3 I can have are evian, figi, and arrowhead. I went on a banana binge these last few days and my bladder is on fire. I didn't put two and two together until my mom mentioned it. darnit
    Allison, 25, living with IC since 2002. Add me on Facebook! (search Allison Jacobs)

Conditions: (known)
    IC, Chronic Pelvic Pain, Neuropathy, Adenomyosis (hysterectomy to "cure" this), Vulvadynia

Medications:
    Elmiron--200 mg twice daily
    Cymbalta--90 mg once daily
    Various pain meds, rotating

Treatments:
    Spinal Nerve Stimulator implanted 5/10, mostly unsuccessful
    Hysterectomy 9/09
    D&C and hysteroscopy 8/08, somewhat helpful
    Mirena IUD began 12/07, unsuccessful
    Lupron Depot 6/07-8/07, unsuccessful
    Hydrodistention 2004, 2007
    Physical therapy 2003-2006

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
    John Wayne

Comment

Blueberries

And so why are blueberries on the safe, safe list if so many people seem to have trouble with them. I think I'm one of them! Maybe they should go OFF the safe, safe list!!! I bought bars, was eating them, as I needed fruit . . .

Originally posted by lauraads View Post
      I just wanted to post that a month of giving up foods might not be long enough to determine a trigger. When I came out of remission, I couldn't eat ANYTHING without pain -- even plain turkey (hormone free, preservative free, cooked at home, etc.). I hurt all the time no matter what I did. I stuck to the usually OK list unless something seemed to make the bad terrible, and then I cut it out. It took about four months to calm enough from avoiding typical problem foods before I had my symptoms go down and I could see food choices making a difference. It took another two years before I could really successfully expermient. I still can't eat even one blueberry without dying however, I could guzzle coca-cola all day and be fine now (a sip three years ago would have killed me). I built up to tiny bits of onion and sour cream and then I took a nasal allergy spray for three days and haven't been able to eat them since so I'm waiting for the calming to take over again for about four months before I'll try again. So, I just wanted to give that thought that maybe you could stick to a strict IC diet for a longer period and see if it helps. Maybe it won't, I have seen the surveys that diet makes no difference to some with IC.

My trigger foods. Ugh. there are TOO many! Off the top of my head:

Alcohol of any sort, vinegar, soy sauce, ANYTHING spicy (except garlic and pepper), hard and aged cheeses, peanuts, onions, tomatoes, citrus and all other fruit except gala apples and pears, vitamins, many meds, even topical stuff like soaps and lotions, whole wheat, ANYTHING smoked, acidic waters, tea, dark chocolate, aged meats, ANYTHING fermented, mayo, yogurt.

Gee, it sounds like I don't eat anything but I do! I just have to cut it all myself since most restaurants have so many hidden ingredients!
      Waves
      Diagnosed 6/4/07, also IBS, migraines, allergies,
      hysterectomy, previous fibroids, cysts.

Help measures in process -- hope to start PT, etc. Main pain meds: HEAT, Tylenol, Alleve, Working on diet!

Cold infusion of Marshmallow Root tea 2x day, Citrus free Quercetin 2x day

I am not my illness -- it's just a facet, I aim to enjoy life and pursue my dreams! I hope it makes me a more compassionate human being.

Comment

Food

Any caffeinated drinks; any spicy foods; chocolate; coffee; alcohol; sugar;

Comment

I feel the same way! Sometimes my diet just doesn't seem to do jack for me and I could be eating coffee and chocolate or plain bread and water and I'm in pain either way.... sucks, huh...

Comment

Huge flair with watermelon juice

Comment

my major problems.. and really the only.. everything else I can't see making me worse.. since I am horrible already.. I have gone all bland to and no difference in my severe pain.. but definite no no's

any and all fruit. .except blueberries
              tea, coffee
              juice
              soda
              tomatoes in large quanity.. if I take prelief with a little I am okay
              chocolate.. I don't even remember what this tastes like anymore
              doritoes.. or any type of chip like that
              red wine
              regular vitamins
              Healing thoughts

Bea

Comment

Wow there is such a difference with everyone. I really thought diet played no part in my symptoms either but it sounds like it's just going to take me a long time to figure it out. I'm flaring bad right now but looking back at the past week I've eaten a lot of bad things. Starting last week I was drinking Vitamin Water. I feel like I'm vitamin deficient! Then I had Mr. Pibb, white chocolate mocha, low-acid coffee, Pepsi, Buffered Vit C, cashews -I just don't understand how I used to be able to eat all this stuff and the IC just seemed to come on overnight!
                The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
                First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
                Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
                Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
                Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
                BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Food triggers

I have to be super careful with food. You have me wondering about cashews. I ate those too. Think I'll give those up too just in case that was it.

Comment

My biggest triggers: anything with tomato in it, citric acid (which is in everything these days!), tea, chocolate, most spices.........don't ya just hate IC!!!!!

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
                    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
                    Dx'd Hypothyroid
                    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
                    June 2007
                    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
                    First Cysto 1979
                    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
                    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
                    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
                    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
                    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
                    Bladder surgery 2000
                    Dx'd: IBS 2000
                    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
                    Laminectomy 1989
                    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
                    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Diet coke is the worst trigger for me. Then tea, wine and tomatoes.

Lesser triggers, but I still can't eat them, are just about everything on the "usually problematic list". I'm going to have to totally change the way I cook. I made the most delicious pork this weekend, and used the dried soup mix to spice it in the crock pot, and it was a big trigger. It kills me to see that delicious left over pork and know I can't have it.

No mayo. No salad dressings. No vinegar. No cheddar cheese. No no no no no no no no no
                      Doing well on: IC diet, prelief before every meal, recently discovered enablex made me worse

Comment

Here is my top 10 list:

1. Sodas
                        2. Coffee
                        3. Green Tea
                        4. Tomatoes
                        5. Spicy Foods
                        6. Watermelon
                        7. Chocolate
                        8. Lemons
                        9. Alcohol
                        10. Vitamin water. I discovered that about 5 hours ago.
                        TexasHoney

Let's keep praying for a cure.
                        IC Symptoms began in early 2001
                        Divorced : Sept 2002 (Partly due to IC)
                        Diagnosed with IC in April 2004
                        Most recent injury - Rupurtured Left Achilles Tendon
                        Wed Jan 28 2009
                        (Ice Storm Accident)
                        2nd Achilles Tendon Surgery - May 28, 2009 after re-injury on May 17
                        Other Injuries
                        Broken Left Ankle - July 2004 ( fell off ladder)
                        Broken Left Ankle (Again) - May 2005 (car accident)
                        Sprained Left Ankle - November 2006 ( fell off my aunts porch on Thanksgiving Day)

CURRENT MEDS
                        Elmiron, Pyridium

Comment

Beware Of All Vitamin Type Waters!

I agree, Vitamin waters and Propel are the worst. Everytime I drink one, even when I am in a bit of remission, it sends me back into a HUGE flre. Beware ladies!
                          Mimi~

Currently battling:
                          Migraines
                          IC
                          Panic attacks/Anxiety Disorder

Current Treatments:
                          Pain Meds and Anxiety Meds
                          Gentle Physical Therapy
                          Yoga
                          Heating Pad~my best friend
                          Lots of hot baths w/ Epsom Salts & Baking Soda
                          Tens Unit
                          Prayer

Comment

1.Chinese food
                            2.Orange or Fruit Punch Gatorade
                            3.Spicy foods
                            4.soda (I can tollerate a sip or even a tiny cup)
                            5.Fruit
                            6.#1. trigger....STRESS!!! or Holding my urine to long will cause HUGE flares.
                            I know there are others but these are the main ones. thankfully I can have chocolate...YAY:woohoo: !! and limit tomato products and I will allow one iced decaf, one shot coffee a month and I do ok.....so far!
                            ~Melody~
                            Currents Meds:

Ativan- Anxiety and IC, Wellbutrin- Depression, Zoloft- Depression, Levoxyl- Hypothyroidism, Zovirax-Persistant Cold Sores

Diagnoses:

IC, IBS, PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Depression, Anxiety/Social Anxiety Disorder, ADD, ED, Suspected Ulcer/Acid Reflux

Surgeries:
                            Gall Bladder Removal, Hysterectomy, Bladder repair for prolapsed bladder
                            Melanoma Awareness IN MEMORY OF MY SISTER AND BEST FRIEND REBECCA E.EVANS 1972-2003

Comment

My worst triggers seem to be yogurt and grapes. I can tolerate the occasional alcoholic beverage (but not the malt liquors like mikes or bacardi's.) and I seem to do OK with low acid OJ and some juices or snapples and the occasional Sprite. Uncooked onions are also a huge NO NO for me. I do ok with home made salsa, as long as my fiance doesn't put too much onions in there! Fortunately, chocolate isn't that bad of a trigger for me, and I never liked coffee. I just miss my Dr Pepper and Cherry Coke!!
                              Meds regimen: Elmiron 100mg Daily, Allegra 180mg Daily, Nuvaring, a probiotic

other medical issues- IC, IBS, Migraines, Eczema, Asthma, Allergies, Syncopal episodes (that they still don't know what causes them...) and extremely loose joints

Drink choices: water, and the occasional caffeine free pop

Comment

what can you drink? I can't drink anything except water.

I'm wondering about people's experience with Puroroast. I just ordered seven bags of it. But I'm not so sure it's okay with my bladder. I take 3 preliefs before drinking. Still...

I'm dying to find something to drink. Please--anyone--give me some suggestions about safe drinks. I thought I could drink tea with prerelif--I was peeing every ten minutes.

Are there any safe teas?

Also--any advice on what to do about flares? I need something to put me out of my misery!

I do find that the pyridium helps--but my doctor will only prescribe six a month.

Thanks everyone.

Maxine

Comment

Working...
                                X