No announcement yet.

Poll: What are your worst food triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chocolate, caffine and Sourdough Bread are Horrible for my flares!
    Diagnosed with IC Oct 07 (with only a questionnaire at the Urologist , had symptoms since 2005, after a procedure in the health care setting, where I was catheterized.

Urethral Pain mostly
    frequency and urgency
    Mild dull bladder pain sometimes

Dr Ripolls office in Boulder, CO is helping me tremendously after 8 years with this!

Comment

I had completely forgotten about sourdough bread! That one is bad for me. And of course it's one of the foods I love. It always gives me acid reflux too. It is funny that I forget how many foods I am sensitive too because I have just forgotten that they even exist anymore. I guess that's a good sign that I'm not missing these things too bad.
      The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
      First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
      Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
      Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
      Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
      BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Can't tolerate MORE foods now.

I just re-read my post of the things I couldn't eat and feel so frustrated! I spent just 3 days on an allergy nasal spray in March that had citric acid and caused me to have a terrible flare. Unfortunately, it also stripped me of about five foods I had worked up to eating again after 3 years. Ugh. I try about once a month to eat these things -- onions, ice cream (homemade), cheese cake (homemade w/out sour cream), coconut, black beans...and I get a flare each time.

It has been 7 months and I am SO frustrated, especially with Thanksgiving coming -- last year was the first year in a while that I got to make a good stuffing because it had a tiny bit of well-cooked onion and onion salt in it! I haven't found a decent stuffing w/out onion and you can't buy a mix w/out onion... Oh well, it wouldn't be such a big deal if I hadn't been able to eat these things for a few months BEFORE the med and stepped back even further with things I ate fine before and now can't tolerate at all! I guess I should just look at it as I will get there again but I had just arrived there, you know?

Just feeling sorry for myself!! :-)
        Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

Comment

I love stuffing, and I hate to hear you're having problems. Have you considered making your own from scratch? It's actually pretty easy: Dry bread / croutons, margarine, celery, carrots & other veggies if you'd like, stock. Fry up the veggies a bit in the margarine (or oil, if you prefer), then mix in the bread & seasonings, then add the stock and let cook for a little bit until the bread soaks it all up. You can add in whatever spices you can handle, and substitute the onion for something else. Maybe corn? That would provide some sweetness. You can find recipes online that you can try to adapt. A lot of the boxed stuff might have bad preservatives, too.

Now, if we could only come up with a cranberry sauce without cranberries...
          Diagnosed with IC in 2004.

Comment

I fix the real stuffing as well, so I haven't had any issues. Luckily I am a picky eater, so I fix most things (when I cook) home made. And the restuarants that I frequent know me well and fix things for me the way I order it. I use the "allergy" word because it is more understandable. Like I said before, as long as I stay away for citrus foods and acid (which eliminates alot of foods), I do well with everything else. I have done the diet thing several times in my 20 years of dealing with IC. Even before I knew about the IC diet, I knew that I hurt shortly after I had my morning grapefruit. I am also lucky that our city's water is good to drink, so that saves money as well.

As long as I am not flaring and have a sensitive bladder already, I can tolerate chocolate in moderation of course and a Pepsi here and there. I have to have my occasional Tootsie Roll(s), so I am grateful that it's not a no-no for me!

T83

Comment

Stuffing

I do make it from scratch every year as the mixes always have onions in them and other things I don't tolerate like rosemary. Preservatives actually no longer bother me! However, I just think all stuffing is bland without onion so last year was really nice to have it be flavorful. I've learned to be a fabulous cook since IC but it was nice to have the one meal a year that didn't have the flavor of (1) garlic; (2) pepper.

Oh well; maybe next year!
              Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

Comment

I love stuffing, maybe its the smell of the herbs? If you can't do any onions no matter how well cooked, how about leeks or even chives? Shallots might not work either for you, Lauraads and they are pretty expensive to buy in amounts for a large feast. We can get fresh herbs year around in Southern California and they add a lot of flavor. I usually use sage and thyme, plus parsley. This is making me hungry thinking about it. Its nice to have one holiday that I can pretty much eat 'normal' food. (Unlike other holidays where almost everything is off limits for me. )I don't look at the cranberries and tell myself I just don't like them. Now if I could just believe it...
                Golden Girl
                ICN Member
                Last edited by Golden Girl; 11-02-2007, 07:09 AM. Reason: my typing skills

Comment

Juices of any kind make me burn and cause a flare, fruit, vitamins, coffee.
                  Lisa
                  Current meds:Elavil, Lortab as needed, Vivelle dot hormone patch 0.1mg, estrace cream, lidocaine ointment, pepcid
                  Diagnosis: IC in 1999 , IBS, Pelvic floor dysfunction, vulvodynia, vestibulitis, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, hunners ulcers on bladder, hysterectomy 2/08, fibro 3/08, sciataca

Comment

Addition!

Well, I found out that artificial sweeteners really aggrivate my bladder! Coffee is picky. (Starbuck's White Chocolate Mocha decaf is ok, but brewed coffee, even decaf, really bothers my bladder!).

I can eat tomato, salad dressing, vinegar and other things that aggrivate bladders, but I try to limit them.
                    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Drinks with citric acid.

Pop! Especially Mountain Dew, because I used to drink that every day and had to give it up because it caused terrible pain.
                      Jen

Comment

coffee and spicy foods are the worst for me,I would love a good cup of coffee but it's so not worth it.I'd rather live pain free as possible...........

Comment

foods that get me

For me it totally depends on the day except alcohol and cigarettes, they are INSANELY painful. Red wine is laughable.
                          But I notice chocolate, tea, vitamins and the really yummy fast mexican food with lots of hot sauce is dangerous for me.
                          Anything with a lot of preservatives and sodium.

Shelley
                          -Diagnosed 2003
                          -Currently taking: 3 elmiron in morning and 3 at night on empty stomach, Percocet as needed, valium as needed for spasms, a TENS unit around the clock during flares.

Tried instillations of elmiron, DMSO, prelief, antidepressants, pygidium, raw vegan, juice cleanse, every diet one can name, hot baths (make me worse), and all the cranberry juice in town but none of these worked for me. For me, diet only impacts my pain if I'm having a bad flare or off of Elmiron, much like drinking alcohol while having a stomach ulcer would hurt.

love, light, health -Shelley

Comment

I too and confused about the diet. The more I eliminate the worse I get. When I was dx in dec. I rarley had painm, just frequency. I have been in constant pain for the last month or so and am down to eating bagel, cream chees, egg white w/ feta and pears. That is pretty much it. I have eliminated all my vitamins and am feeling very unhealthy and confused. I have found a few "bad" things for me are : artificial sweeteners, claritin D and that is all I am sure of . I am going to my uro today to beg for help of some kind. Good luck to you.

Comment

Judy, you really need to get yourself on a more balanced diet. The diet information in the Patient Handbook should help guide you.

Donna
                              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Food Triggers suck the most for me...

All I can drink is Gatorade (Rain berry and strawberry kiwi), Milk (about a gallon every other day) and water. In terms of food I have it really weird, but when you think of the vitamins it makes sense. One example of bizarre is I can have iceberg lettuce, but not cabbage, spinach, or romaine lettuce.

I noticed no one listed on of my worst on here, if there is a bunch of high fructose corn syrup (its at the top of the ingredients list) or any other artificial sweeteners I will be doubled over in about 30 min.

My absolute worst is if its even remotely spicy (green peppers even does it) then I am screwed for a couple days. And onions is almost that bad, even just a little bit.
                                Our Story

Comment

Working...
                                X