Diet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet.

I'm brand new to this diet and I got a really basic diet list from the IC Association and it leaves a lot out. I sometimes eat vanilla pudding, fritos and other things that seem to be ok. Fritos is corn chips, salts and corn oil. I am so unsure if any of this is is even safe and the list I printed out doesn't really give me a lot of information. Plus, my Dr. didn't give me too much info on IC, either. Is there anywhere I can get a more of a detailed list for the diet?

http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/diet.html

I prefer this list because it's more specific. Also it's really important to become a label reader. For example, vanilla pudding in itself may be ok, but the added colors & preservatives can be a problem. So, try as much as possible to avoid chemical ingredients & preservatives (especially citric acid, sorbic acid, sulfates, sulfites, nitrates, nitrites) in even "safe" foods.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

These days, I ignore the diet because of hydroxyzine. The only things that 'get through' to cause a flare are Canadian bacon and breakfast sausage. Certain drugs also cause a flare.

I can eat everything else - even bacon, pizza, etc.

Of course, everyone is so incredibly different and can tolerate different things.

Thank you hyroxyzine for normalizing my life!
        8/2007 - My constant bladder pain is now gone due to a surgery where the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastic nerves were cut. I still have IC symptoms but they are improving. It's still early to say, but I believe this solution will work permanently for me.

Symptoms since 2005 - 24/7 abdominal pain, cold sweats, low back pain, vulv, etc.
        Surgeries: Spinal Fusion L4-L5-S1 10/97, Anterior spinal fusion L5-S1 9/05, Lap for Cysts, Endo 9/06, Hysterectomy kept cervix 12/06
        Meds: Morphine, Neurontin, Valium, Hydroxyzine, Vivelle Estrogen, Thyroid,
        Exercise & PT: All at least 4 times a week
        Whirlpool baths, Moist heat, Treadmill, Stretching, Trigger point, Yoga Positions; Ab & Pelvic Massage

Comment

I am seeing my doctor in a couple of days for the second time and he will no doubt alter my medication as on Elmiron and tagamet at the moment and tagamet seems to do nothing. Have read about hydroxyzine and was wondering if you notice any side effects from this. i have no ulceration just inflammation and have been taking Cystoprotek for about 1 week now. What is the MSM gel used for. I have read a little about it and was thinking of trying?

Comment

Hydroxyzine

The only side effect I seem to have is grogginess in the morning. That does get better and I usually take 25mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I hear it contributes to constipation but so do all my other drugs. I expected to get sinus infections from having my nasal cavities so dry, but that hasn't happened.

I spoke too soon about the flares. After not having a flare for a while, I've already have two bad ones this month (2nd being 3am today). I'm wondering if it's because I stopped the tagamet a couple of weeks ago. I'm refilling my prescription for that hoping that the two combined together did a better job than just one.

Tagamet alone sometimes worked but most of theh time did nothing. Hydroxyzine definitely does the most for me at 50-75mg and literally changed my life. Elavil didn't seem to help me but Valium is another miracle drug (for me).

Elmiron gave me nonstop flares the 2-3 weeks I took it. It made me so much worse, I threw it away.

I don't have ulcers either - or blood in my urine. I'd like to know more about MSM gel, also. What symptoms does it relieve? When I hurt on the exterior, I use Dr. Bronner's liquid peppermint soap and it usually helps with the burning.

What type of IC and symptoms do you have?
            8/2007 - My constant bladder pain is now gone due to a surgery where the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastic nerves were cut. I still have IC symptoms but they are improving. It's still early to say, but I believe this solution will work permanently for me.

Symptoms since 2005 - 24/7 abdominal pain, cold sweats, low back pain, vulv, etc.
            Surgeries: Spinal Fusion L4-L5-S1 10/97, Anterior spinal fusion L5-S1 9/05, Lap for Cysts, Endo 9/06, Hysterectomy kept cervix 12/06
            Meds: Morphine, Neurontin, Valium, Hydroxyzine, Vivelle Estrogen, Thyroid,
            Exercise & PT: All at least 4 times a week
            Whirlpool baths, Moist heat, Treadmill, Stretching, Trigger point, Yoga Positions; Ab & Pelvic Massage

Comment

I've been taking Elmiron for a month now and just now my flares & difficulty are starting to subside, but it'll be a few more months before I can say wheather it's really helping or not, but the only thing that kills me are tomatos and certain spices people put in foods. Other than that, nothing seems to be a problem. But then again, I'm really strict with my diet. I might see if I can handle sprite...

Comment

I had my second hydro in 12 years 6 weeks ago with a new urlogist and he told me straight after the procedure that he did not find any ulceration yet my bladder showed the classic glomerations of the IC bladder and inflammation. I had been on Elmiron from diagnosis 12 years ago with great results (it virtually gave me my life back) but had to stop 6 years ago to have children. After finishing breastfeeding my last child recently my IC symptoms have returned and I have been very sick for the last four to five months continuously. I have been back on the Elmiron for 12 weeks now and am also taking Tagamet (6 weeks now). I also started Cystoprotek about one week ago. I feel better than I did but certainly not as good as before having children. I dont so much have terrible pain but a constant feeling of infection which I cant sometimes pinpoint where it is coming from (Urethra, clitoris, baldder)? but read on the chart from the hydro that my urethra is normal. I dont have too bad a problem with frequency yet sometimes feel a little urgency. I stick to the diet very strictly (atleast I think I do) and have recently been taking prelief with all meals. I see my urolgist tommorow for the first time since the hydro but I dont know what he will do next. I dont think im that keen on stopping Elmiron as yet since it helped so much last time. I think I'll give it more time but am worried about Elavil or Hydroxyzine because I have 3 young children and cant afford to be groggy but I feel like I am sick all the time and need to do something. I had a couple of glasses of wine last week for the first time in 5 months (with lots of Prelief) and dont think I felt any worse than normal the next day. It was heaven doing something normal for a change. Im starting to get worried the urologist wont be able to give me the miracle drug to give me some normality back to my life. My husband told me I was a different person last week and I wanted to kill him. I dont mind the diet so much as long as I can have a drink with my husband once a week and a normal sex life (which is not happening at the moment due to the constant feeling of infection). Anyway what symptoms do you have? Is Hydroxyzine used for inflammation? Im not sure exactly what the MSM gel is used for, inflammation I think.

Comment

I've had Interstial Cystitis since May 11th. The diet sheets I have are very confusing: Peanuts are not OK but peanut butter is OK. Cherries are not OK but Marciano Cherries are OK. Does that mean Cherry-Vanilla Ice Cream with Marciano Cherries is OK? I read that Cinnamon-Pear canned fruit is OK. Does that mean that Cinnamon Sugar is OK to put on Toast? I've recently discovered that I really enjoy Eddy's Grand Carmel Swirl Ice Cream. They say Carmel is OK - does anyone know if Butterscotch is also OK. Also, does anyone know about Lipton's Cherry-Almond Decaf Tea - is it OK?

Comment

I've had Interstial Cystitis since May 11th. The diet sheets I have are very confusing: Peanuts are not OK but peanut butter is OK. Cherries are not OK but Marciano Cherries are OK. Does that mean Cherry-Vanilla Ice Cream with Marciano Cherries is OK? I read that Cinnamon-Pear canned fruit is OK. Does that mean that Cinnamon Sugar is OK to put on Toast? I've recently discovered that I really enjoy Eddy's Grand Carmel Swirl Ice Cream. They say Carmel is OK - does anyone know if Butterscotch is also OK. Also, does anyone know about Lipton's Cherry-Almond Decaf Tea - is it OK?

Comment

Working...
                    X