Breakfast and lunch ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast and lunch ideas

I'm new to the forum here and from the UK. I've had suspected IC for 4 months now and I've been following the diet for 2 weeks. I just wondered what sort of things people eat for breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast I either have porridge, toast or pitta bread

Lunch I usually have apricots, pears and cottage cheese and cucumber sandwich.

Dinners can be more varied, but it would be nice to get some ideas.

I've had a look at the recipe section on the ICN Handbook but most seem to include foods that aren't on the 'Usually Ok' list like onions and I'm a tad confused.

PS I'm a vegetarian.

Thanks for reading this.Hope to hear from some people soon.

BBx
    Diagnosed with mild IC

Had Ultrasound in April all normal.
    Microscope Cystoscopy in May and bladder looked healthy.
    Bladder biopsy and stretch on Aug 30
    Results of biopsy and stretch on Oct 1 showed mild chronic cystitus. No pain since start of Aug and frequency diminished after stretch.
    Felt normal since mid sept'07

Current meds:
    Elavil
    Quercetin
    Glucosamine with MSM
    Tums
    Aloe Vera
    Acupuncture - finished course
    Chinese herbal teas - finished course

HI BBx,
    You might buy a copy of "Confident Choices" - it's great for newbies to the IC diet & you can get it in the ICN shop linked above. I get frustrated too with the recipes that include things like onions. If it will still be good without the onions, I just leave them out.

I can't help much with the vegetarian lunches & dinners: I'm allergic to legumes, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, soy. So, there's pretty much no way I could be a vegetarian. I'd have no protein sources. But, here are some ideas for breakfast...

Here are some things I eat for breakfast:
    1. Omelet (if you do eggs) with mozzarella cheese (Kraft brand), zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower
    2. Homemade french toast with warm pears & cinnamon
    3. Waffles or pancakes (homemade with Bisquick) with blueberries or 100% pure maple syrup
    4. Oatmeal
    5. IC safe cereals: Nature's Path Honey'd Corn flakes, Barbara's Shredded Wheat, puffed wheat, puffed corn, puffed rice, Peace Honey Granola.
    (The key is to find cereals that are free of BHA,BHT, added vitamins, minerals, no ascorbic acid) I get these at the local health food store.
    6. Homemade muffins (I make zucchini muffins, blueberry muffins, carrot bran muffins)

Hope you get some good suggestions.
    Last edited by kadi; 06-27-2007, 10:06 AM.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Kadi,
      As always, you are so awesome with your food suggestions! Those are great ideas.
      mom_in_ma

Comment

Veggie diets

My boyfriend has gone veggan on me. I don't really care if he is or not, but it does make it hard to figure out what to feed him that will match with my diet. Some suggestions

Lots of veggies snacks

Squash patties: My mom always uses yellow crookneck squash, or zucchini. You shred the squash and mix in an egg and bread crumbs. Then fry them up on a pan. My mom doesn't do it in oil, just uses a greased fry pan. When we were kids, we put ketchup on them. But now I do salt and pepper. Yummie

I love omlette's with tons of veggies

Veggie wraps: stir fry any veggies you want. I like green peppers, mushrooms, olives, and zucchini. You can use grilled chicken or beef strips if you want. Put in a tortilla with some mozzerella and you have a meal.

I have also started eating baked potatoes for lunch with mozerrella melted on the top. Then add up the veggies. I like olives, mushrooms, and lettice.

At work I eat mashed potatoes (no gravy) and whatever veggie they are serving.

It will take you some time, but you can do it.

Oh, I buy avacado's, and pears on a weekly basis. I like to get a small watermelon once in a while as well.
        Redmowii

Comment

My favorite breakfast is brown rice, cooked with a few raisins (or not) and almond milk. I'm working toward vegan myself.

Darlene

Comment

Working...
          X