Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think sugar is my worst bladder enemy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think sugar is my worst bladder enemy.

So many other "no no's" according to the diet don't seem to affect me adversely but a cookie or a biscotti with icing, or chocolate - any sweet dessert will bring on the old urge/frequency within a few hours.

I think I've finally narrowed it down after all this time.

Anyone else find this to be true?

My bladder definitely doesn't like chocolate or packaged sweets that have irritating preservatives in them. I've recently also dramatically reduced how many homemade or other "safe" sweets I eat as well, but there's no change in my IC. I did it to lose weight & it's helping a bit with that. Hasn't made any difference in my IC at all though.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

That's interesting - I haven't noticed that effect personally, but I have read that consuming sugar can cause an inflammatory response in the body, so that might be what's happening to you. Who knows? I know it's hard to pinpoint a food trigger if it's on the "bladder friendly" list, so you must at least be relieved to have figured it out.
      Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
      Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
      Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Yes

I'm the same exact way. I also get headaches after I consume sugar. This has been going on since my early twenties. I'm just glad they invented Splenda, because I can tolerate that. Some say it feeds candida and others say it kills candida. I just go by how I feel and my body seems to tolerate it pretty well.

Comment

Working...
        X