Something for a cough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for a cough?

The past few days, I've been sick with a terrible cold. I have the kind of cough that keeps me up at night and makes my stomach muscles/bottom of my ribs hurt because I've been coughing so much.

I've tried the whole tea route for the sore throat. Taken tylenol for the headaches but is there a safe medicine you take for the cough?

-Started having symptoms in May 2009.

-Doing pretty well on diet alone.

Sometimes just sucking on hard candy will help with a cough. It's worth a try anyway. Also, sometimes gargling with salt water will help with a sore throat.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks, Donna but unfortunately, I don't think candy will do the trick with this cough.

Comment

I hate to say this but you might want to see a doctor. Last spring I thought I had a bad cold and cough and it turned out it had turned into pneumonia and I had cracked 2 ribs from coughing so hard and so much. I wound up in the hospital for 4 days. Your doc could give you something rx that (for me at least) that would stop it in it's tracks.
        Of course, now that I think about it I wasn't dx'd last spring, so I'm not sure how rx cough syrup treats your bladder. I hope you're feeling better soon!
        Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
        Lexapro-20 mg
        Aciphex
        Ambien-as needed
        Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
        Valium-10 mg x2 per day
        Phenergan-1 at night
        Prelief w/everything
        Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
        Heating pad
        Hot baths
        Ice
        Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Thanks for the concern, Katie.
          I have a history of getting really bad coughing colds. I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm definitely gonna make a trip to the doctor if I don't get better within a few days.

ps: read your post about you finally finding a good doctor. I'm really glad for you. <3

Comment

I had a bad chest cough with the last cold I caught, turned out to be bronchitis & it took antibiotics, CheriTussin, and an Albuterol inhaler to manage it. All prescription unfortunately.

Normal colds, I can take Mucinex (not DM), just the guifenesen. I also do tons of hot showers, Vicks VapoRub.
            Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
            I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
            Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
            -Pyridium if needed,
            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
            -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
            -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
            -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
            -Managing stress= VERY important!
            -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thanks, Kadi. I did some research on this board and saw that some people say they do okay with the Mucinex. I went out and bought some. Also, not gonna do much for the cough but I got some watermelon and I'm making some watermelon popsicles for my throat.

Ugh. I feel so terrible. Between this cold, a menstrual migraine, and going through withdrawl symptoms (from weaning off of Celexa), I am definitely not enjoying the remainder of my winter vacation. I go back to school on Monday.

Comment

I can take Delsym for a cough with no problems.

Comment

Hi, I don't take it orally, but Vicks Vaporub is a lifesaver when I'm stuffed up or coughing.
                  God grant me the Serenity to get through each day and get home to my fur babies and my loving husband.
                  -Currently Taking: Atarax, Cystoprotek, Folic Acid, Acidopholus, Prelief, and Prevacid.

Comment

I just got off the second round of antibotics (both times the ZPack) along with cough syrup (CheriTussin). I take the cough syrup at night, as it seems to help me sleep.

Comment

Does the Cherry ever bother you?
                      God grant me the Serenity to get through each day and get home to my fur babies and my loving husband.
                      -Currently Taking: Atarax, Cystoprotek, Folic Acid, Acidopholus, Prelief, and Prevacid.

Comment

I just bought some Mucinex DM (not Mucinex D which has Sudafed in it) and I sure hope it works! I am missing a big event tomorrow here in Detroit tied in with the auto show.

If you have the same cough I have I feel for you. This is ridiculous.......and exhausting............
                        Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                        IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                        IC Diet Website
                        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                        Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                        Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Robitussin works fine for me. I've also taken Mucinex for congestion.
                          (\__/)
                          (o.O )
                          (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Thankfully, after two weeks with a non-stop cough, it's finally starting to go away.
                            I think I may have bruised a rib or pulled a muscle or something in my chest because it hurts really bad.

Comment

Hope you are feeling better. Nothing worse than having that awful cough with a bladder problem. Double dip. Yeah, a shower as hot as you can stand it, or a tub that way will help. If you dont have to go anywhere a washcloth coated with Vicks on your chest while you lie in that hot water helps (unless you don't care about being Vicksy, I certainly would not care). It's that time of the year, we all need more moisture in our homes. Every time Bob coughs all I hear is "Oww, oww, oww." And he doesn't even have a cold. (COPD). Can totally empatihze, IT HURTS TO COUGH. Donna is right, salty water, as hot as you can take it without burning your throat, gargling, will help a lot. And chicken soup girl, the best remedy in the world. Hope you feel better real soon. Colds don't last forever, it just seems that way. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X