Coffee :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee :(

I truly haven't missed my coffee since I was dx'd with IC...until this morning. And I don't know why TODAY of all days. I've been throwing up since lunch yesterday (knock on wood, not since 6 this morning). But after I got so sick this AM, the only thing I could think about was 1 cup of coffee. For some reason, that was the only thing that sounded good. I didn't drink it, thank goodness. But it's 4:00 PM and I'm still thinking about that coffee. I'm not anywhere close to being able to try things on the caution list but my brain is stuck on coffee. There's really no advice I'm thinking anyone can give me about this. Because I've read all the suggestions for coffee "replacements" and, frankly, I just want coffee.
    Anyway, I just wanted to vent to somebody. I can't vent to my husband because he still drinks his every morning. I don't want to make him feel bad and he shouldn't have to give up his fix because I do. So thanks for listening.
    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
    Lexapro-20 mg
    Aciphex
    Ambien-as needed
    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
    Phenergan-1 at night
    Prelief w/everything
    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
    Heating pad
    Hot baths
    Ice
    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Coffee

I have tried a coffee called Kava. It is, believe it or not, made by the Smuckers company. It is rich with a chocolaty aftertaste. My urologist told me about it. It is an instant coffee - so it's convenient as well. It has very little caff in it. You can go to www.kavacoffee.com and they can tell you where to buy, or you can order. I'd pick up a jar first, since our bladders are the pickiest thing ever -(mine is).
      Also Javacid is awesome, too. I've just gotten so hooked on Kava I don't want anything else!
      Live well - be HAPPY!
      GrandmaV
      Taking:
      NOTHING!!! I have done so well on the diet that he took me off all meds and I feel great!
      Hours of Prayer per day
      One day at a time
      Time to be grateful for what I have

Philippians 4:13 for Pete's sake!
      Fur therapy
      and grandchild hugging therapy (Highly recommend)

I am so thankful for my friends on the IC support network. My success has been made possible by YOU!

Comment

Kava doesn't work for my IC, gave me a flare same as any other coffee.
        But, I really like a cup of hot milk with a teaspoon of Pero (coffee substitute) and sugar.
        I get it from the ICN shop or from Whole Foods when they have it, which unfortunately isn't all the time...
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

I'm keeping all this information "on file" because one day I will have something at least resembling coffee again. I was just feeling especially whiney earlier. Right now, I'm just sticking with my water. Blah. But, it doesn't make me hurt more, so there's that!

Also, totally off topic, my 5 lb yorkie has almost successfully pushed me off the bed. LOL. Get your laughs where you can!!
          Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
          Lexapro-20 mg
          Aciphex
          Ambien-as needed
          Valium-10 mg x2 per day
          Phenergan-1 at night
          Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
          Hot baths
          Ice

Comment

coffee

Hi Katie
            I hope you're feeling better. I'm not a coffee drinker myseld, so that is one thing I don't miss. I can understand the craving thing though. The other day, much to my embarrassment, I actually ran my finger around a tin of Marie Calander's Lasagne. My husband had just finished eating the lasagne and I thought if I didn't have a bit of the sauce that was left on the edges, I was going to die(okay, not really die, but at least be darned cranky)! It was soooo good and believe it or not ,it helped with the craving and didn't bother my bladder. It was just a drop, though. Whatever works!

P.S. Re your Yorkie. I love it!

Comment

It's so crazy!! I've never been much of a tomato sauce eater because its usually upsets my stomach. But since I've been on this IC diet, I seem to want everything that's a no-no!! I want all kinds of Italian food, I really wanted to make chili today since it's so cold, I want lemon on my avocado. I want, I want, I want!!! I feel like a little kid!! I never ate those things before but suddenly they have become VERY important, lol!! A mind is a terrible thing to waste
              Lexapro-20 mg
              Aciphex
              Ambien-as needed
              Valium-10 mg x2 per day
              Phenergan-1 at night
              Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
              Hot baths
              Ice

Comment

coffee

Originally posted by KatieB View Post
                It's so crazy!! I've never been much of a tomato sauce eater because its usually upsets my stomach. But since I've been on this IC diet, I seem to want everything that's a no-no!! I want all kinds of Italian food, I really wanted to make chili today since it's so cold, I want lemon on my avocado. I want, I want, I want!!! I feel like a little kid!! I never ate those things before but suddenly they have become VERY important, lol!! A mind is a terrible thing to waste
                Mine got wasted a long, long time ago. 'Nough said!

Comment

Lol
                  Lexapro-20 mg
                  Aciphex
                  Ambien-as needed
                  Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                  Phenergan-1 at night
                  Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
                  Hot baths
                  Ice

Comment

coffee and IC

I have had IC for 4 years and during that time I didn't have any coffee. But these past few months I have once in awhile a tall decaf, skim milk latte.I have had them at Starbucks, at home and at some small local coffee shops. I just make sure they put in lots of milk. They don't bother my bladder. I of course would not have one on a day I am having bladder pain. Good Luck

Comment

I've decided that my "treat" when the girls stop at Starbucks is a med skim steamer w/ 1/2 pump of vanilla. I'm starting to sound like I speak another language, but if I order it like that it's not too sweet and not too heavy. And it makes me feel almost "normal" to sit with everybody else and their Starbucks cups, lol!!! But someday.....coffee!!!!!!
                      Lexapro-20 mg
                      Aciphex
                      Ambien-as needed
                      Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                      Phenergan-1 at night
                      Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
                      Hot baths
                      Ice

Comment

I have had IC since I was 22. My IC has gotten worse and worse as the years go on. College life was bad, then having a boyfriend made it worse. Now it's having to deal with ignorant co workers who put me down and the cost of parking and train per month ($200 a month) Got to find a job closer to home or work from home. I miss coffee too. I have tried Kava and it gave me flares. I have tried Pero, Cafix, Teaccino and all made my feel bloated. I just stick with water, pear juice or skim milk. I may try baby juices too. I even tried Puroast coffee. They sent me a free sample. The taste was downright awful to me. I tried putting in sugar and it didn't help. It gave me flares too. I also have acid reflux disease which makes it bad too.
                        In memory of my beloved best friend in the whole world! Timmy (West Highland White Terrier)
                        11/24/04-9/5/2011

God Bless,

Anna

Comment

Ah, those cravings. They can sometimes really get to you. Bob does drink Kafix and it just takes some getting used to (like the marshmallow root tea LOL). He actually made a pot of decaf coffee a couple of weeks ago behind my back and went into a flare almost immediately. MEN. He would rob a bank if it meant he could eat a pizza or have spaghetti and sauce. It was his favorite thing. But coffee, there are alternatives and what works for one, well, you all know how that goes. Good luck all. Jill, wife of Bob

Comment

I drink the reduced acid coffee from Hevla and take 3 prelief with it. Usually it doesn't bother me then. I only drink it in the morning and the rest of the day I stick with the acceptable teas, caffix and roastaroma. Caffix actually foams when you microwave it, I like it with vanilla creamer and whip cream, makes me feel like I'm drinking a latte lol

But for you how about that totally acid free decaf coffee thats on this website? I have wondered about it, has anyone tried it.
                            Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
                            Macrobid after sex
                            Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
                            synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
                            AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
                            AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
                            Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

I've started drinking Roastaroma in the mornings when my husband has his coffee. He actually has always (since we married almost 23 years ago) brought me coffee in bed every morning. That's all the romance I need!! Anyway, NOW he brings me my coffee cup with hot water and I keep the teabags in my night stand. It's not coffee but it's SOMETHING!!!
                              Lexapro-20 mg
                              Aciphex
                              Ambien-as needed
                              Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                              Phenergan-1 at night
                              Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
                              Hot baths
                              Ice

Comment

Working...
                              X