salad dressing alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salad dressing alternatives?

I cannot have any salad dressings, including ranch which several people can have, and I miss my big, healthy salads! What does everyone put on their salads? I can't stand it plain!

If you can tolerate cottage cheese, you could try putting some in the blender with your favorite herbs --- it makes a nice dressing.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi Judy,

A chef named Daniel Norten has a site that is designed for us IC patients. Unfortunetely it costs about $5 a month, but I believe he does have some free salad dressing recipes on his site. They've all been pretty decent in my opinion. It's interstitialcystitis.me

Jill
      "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

We also have some excellent recipes on this site --- and they are free! http://www.ic-network.com/icchef/

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by jvr View Post
          Hi Judy,

A chef named Daniel Norten has a site that is designed for us IC patients. Unfortunetely it costs about $5 a month, but I believe he does have some free salad dressing recipes on his site. They've all been pretty decent in my opinion. It's interstitialcystitis.me

Jill
          I made the Asian dressing with his soy sauce substitute - I added a little fresh ginger. It was really good!

I have the subscription. My only complaint is that the recipes are not well written. He frequently gives you an ingredient and then does not explain where in the directions to use them, or the directions will mention an ingredient that was not in the list. However, if you know how to cook, it's not much of an issue. He has some creative stuff on there - like chicken lettuce wraps - that I have really enjoyed.

But I also make good use of the recipes on this site - we have some good cooks here, too!
          Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
          Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
          Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Just curiously, what is a soy sauce substitute?
            Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
            Lexapro-20 mg
            Aciphex
            Ambien-as needed
            Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
            Valium-10 mg x2 per day
            Phenergan-1 at night
            Prelief w/everything
            Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
            Heating pad
            Hot baths
            Ice
            Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Originally posted by KatieB View Post
              Just curiously, what is a soy sauce substitute?
              He makes something he calls a soy sauce substitute out of water, dark molasses, sesame oil, and salt. I use it in salad dressings and to put in stir frys, etc. It gives you the color, saltiness, and a little bit of the smokiness of soy sauce. I wouldn't use it alone, but in other things it's not a bad substitute.
              Lori

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

Treatments:

Oral
              Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
              Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

So you don't think it would be good with sushi? I've been trying ANY way to eat sashimi but I only like it with soy. But soy is not good for my bladder.
                Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
                Lexapro-20 mg
                Aciphex
                Ambien-as needed
                Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
                Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                Phenergan-1 at night
                Prelief w/everything
                Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
                Heating pad
                Hot baths
                Ice
                Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

For salad dressing, I mix pear juice with canola oil & a little basil. This is good on baby romaine or spinach with a little feta cheese and some almonds, dates or pears.

I'm also ok with a small amount of Marie's lite creamy ranch dressing. It's available in the refrigerated shelves in the produce section at the grocery store. I put it on the side of the plate & just dip my fork in it for a little bit of flavor, but not a lot of the dressing before each bite of salad. If you're still worried about it, you could take Prelief (antacid) with it.
                  Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                  ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                  Source - Pinterest
                  "

Current treatments:
                  -IC diet
                  -Elavil 50mg at night
                  -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                  -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                  -Pyridium if needed,
                  -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                  -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                  -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                  -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                  -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                  -Managing stress= VERY important!
                  -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

PS If you can't find an IC friendly (without acid) pear juice, sometimes you can buy pears canned in their own juice & use that for the dressing!
                    Kadi

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                    Source - Pinterest
                    "

Current treatments:
                    -IC diet
                    -Elavil 50mg at night
                    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                    -Pyridium if needed,
                    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed

Comment

Originally posted by KatieB View Post
                      So you don't think it would be good with sushi? I've been trying ANY way to eat sashimi but I only like it with soy. But soy is not good for my bladder.
                      You could try it. I don't think it tastes "that" much like soy sauce, but you could tinker around with it. You may find that it's an acceptable substitute.
                      Lori

Treatments:

Oral

Other

Comment

I cannot find the "lite" creamy ranch anywhere! I have checked every grocery store I have ever been in. Maybe that is my problem. I have tried Marie's Cream Ranch, not lite. I miss salad!!!!!! Where do you buy the "lite" version??????? I have even looked on-line and can't find it.

Comment

I buy it at Safeway I've also seen it at Albertsons. Those are both West Coast stores. I couldn't find the lite one in Tennessee, but I diluted it with nonfat milk & figured that was the best I could do. (I've gained so much weight since IC!)
                          Kadi

Source - Pinterest
                          "

Current treatments:
                          -IC diet
                          -Elavil 50mg at night
                          -Pyridium if needed,

Comment

salad dressing

In the stores around my area,(northern va.), the Marie's lite is where the lettuce is.

Comment

Originally posted by judy45 View Post
                              I cannot find the "lite" creamy ranch anywhere! I have checked every grocery store I have ever been in. Maybe that is my problem. I have tried Marie's Cream Ranch, not lite. I miss salad!!!!!! Where do you buy the "lite" version??????? I have even looked on-line and can't find it.
                              I can't find the lite version around here anymore either. I'm in Michigan. I do buy just the regular Marie's Cream Ranch though, and I'm fine with it (in small amounts).
                              MiLynn

Diagnosed with IC based on symptoms 2-08
                              Following IC diet
                              Taking VesiCare

Comment

Working...
                              X