ricotta cheese question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ricotta cheese question

I see that ricotta cheese is listed as a safe food that is also soothing to the bladder. But one of the ingredients is vinegar. Which is big no-no for me. So I'm confused, is there a ricotta cheese with no vinegar in it? Also, I would like to know if other's can eat it without a problem.
    Thank you!

Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering the same thing myself...
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I can eat it without problems. I think the vinegar must be there in such a small amount that it doesn't bother me. Have you tried it yourself? Remember, the foods all combine in your stomach, so small amounts of a bad food can sometimes get diluted by good stuff. ;-)
      Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
      IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
      IC Diet Website
      For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
      Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
      Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
      IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Thank you Julie, think I will give it a try, I want to try making Stuffed Shells with the roasted red pepper sauce.

Comment

I'm fine with ricotta. If you're not sure, maybe take Prelief with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie B View Post
            I can eat it without problems. I think the vinegar must be there in such a small amount that it doesn't bother me. Have you tried it yourself? Remember, the foods all combine in your stomach, so small amounts of a bad food can sometimes get diluted by good stuff. ;-)
            I found this to be true for me with many trigger foods.

Comment

If you have concerns, I suggest you try a very small amount first.

Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Donna, I'm slowly working my way to the "try it" list and I'm wondering what a "small amount" is for something like ricotta? Like one tsp, one tblsp, a cup? Thanks for all your advice.
                God grant me the Serenity to get through each day and get home to my fur babies and my loving husband.
                -Currently Taking: Atarax, Cystoprotek, Folic Acid, Acidopholus, Prelief, and Prevacid.

Comment

This ricotta cheese being in the generally safe column is one of the very few mistakes I think there are in the ICA food list. I could not find any vinegar free ricotta cheese, and believe me I looked, at Mother's Market (a large regional health food chain), Trader Joes and 5 major supermarket chains plus a great Italian market. When I was super food sensitive, I couldn't eat any ricotta cheese at all and used to joke it was the only white food I couldn't eat. Now that I've gotten better I can have something with some ricotta cheese in it but still wouldn't try it straight. If small amounts of vinegar in another food (like a salad) cause a problem, why would vinegar in this case be any different?
                  Last edited by Golden Girl; 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

if you can find ricotta imported from italy there is no vinegar. the ricotta is usually made from sheep's or buffalo's milk, whey and salt. it's also has a creamier texture and infinitely more delicious. but i know for most people in america that's impossible to find in a store. but you can buy it in bulk online and freeze it. ricotta freezes well for up to 1/2 a year.
                    When there is research, there are answers.
                    When there is persistence, there are solutions.
                    Don't stop looking for answers; don't give up.

Comment

I found a ricotta cheese without vinegar at Walmart last month. I don't recall the brand but I'll check next time I go.

Comment

A vinegar solution is used to rinse the ricotta after preparation. After that, it is rinsed with plain water. but, it has to be listed as an ingredient because it used in the preparation. It doesn't bother me at all. But the first time I saw that, I freaked out! My husband's Italian mother explained that one to me.

Comment

Renee, thank you for sharing that! It is like we have found with citric acid. If citric acid is being used as a flavoring, they are probably using a lot of it in the product. If they are using it as a preservative (like in breads) it is likely not to bother IC bladders because it is used in such minute quantities and it is neutralized by the other ingredients.

Hopefully we will learn more about the "whys" and dosages of foods in the next few years as more research is done.

Hugs to your Italian Mother-In-Law!!!
                          Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                          IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                          IC Diet Website
                          For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                          Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                          Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                          IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

hahah, by the time we get all this figured out... they'll find a cure. LOL

Comment

Re: ricotta cheese question

I know this is a VERY old thread but I somehow found it today in my search for vinegar free ricotta (making butternut squash ravioli with a cream sauce). I just found that Earthfare has vinegar free ricotta. It is at their cheese counter.

Comment

Working...
                              X