Allergic to milk and eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic to milk and eggs

I was just wondering if there's any one allergic to milk/eggs who's tried the ic diet. I read how hard it is for everyone to figure out their own diet and I'm afraid an ic diet without eggs or milk products is gonna be impossible. I can have them in small amounts in other foods, but not all the time or I feel run down. Has anyone with food allergies had any success? Or lactose intolerance, maybe?
    Jamey

dx
    IC, endometriosis, cervical dysplasia, bi-polar, trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder), scoliosis, fibroid breast disorder, chronic fatigue, arthritis in hands, temporal lobe seizures
    meds
    buspar 30mg, atarax 100mg, norco 10mg 30/week for pain, vimpat 100mg 2/day, trileptal 600mg 2/day
    flare strategyestrace cream, lidocaine jelly, and ice pack on urethra. ativan .5mg for severe flares only

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    (and looking for rainbows)

I'm lactose intolerant. But luckily for me whenever I drink milk or have anything with a lot of dairy, I can take Lact-Aid and it keeps the problems at bay. Mine are mostly digestive issues (which I Don't need ANY more problems with digestive issues. As far as I see it, Lact-Aid is sort of like Prelief for dairy. My doctor said not to worry about taking it, if it helps, which it does. Have you tried that for the milk problems? Eggs are a totally different thing. I don't know anything that could possibly help with that. I think even things like Eggbeaters still have "real" egg in it. I'm sorry. I wish I could give you more help. Good luck to you!! The diet is hard enough without even more restrictions.
    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
    Lexapro-20 mg
    Aciphex
    Ambien-as needed
    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
    Phenergan-1 at night
    Prelief w/everything
    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
    Heating pad
    Hot baths
    Ice
    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Different Cows = Different Milk

I know there are some folks who are truly lactose intolerant and/or allergic to milk, but there are some people who are really only allergic to milk from "newer" breeds of cattle.

OK, I know it sounds a little strange, but there is scientific proof that Holsteins (a "newer" breed) "experienced a mutation of a particular amino acid some 5,000 years ago, whereas..." older breeds like Jersey did not. The specific protein involved is beta-casein. In A1 (newer) type cattle, produe this protien with a "mutated proline amino acid, which converts it to histidine". The histidine is what causes many of us to have upper respiratory issues with milk and sometimes have digestive issues as well.

I stumbled upon this purly by chance. For 20+ years I thought milk would give me an asthma attack because that was the reaction I had whenever I drank it or had ice cream. One 4th of July, my friends in college made ice cream with Promised Land milk (all Jersey). I had a little bit and did not have an asthma attack. I ate more and still no issues.

Now days, I've learned that I can tolerate goats milk (also contains the A2 beta-casein) and milk from old world cattle (Jersey, Guernsey, Asian and African cows). The majority of cattle in the US are Holstein. The only major milk brand that is all Jersey that I know of is Promised Land.

You can read more about it here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-the-Milk.aspx (requires you sign up for the site, but it's free)
      Don't take my word, be your own health care advocate. Research everything and make an educated decision on what treatments you think are right for you.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
      - Albert Einstein

~ Lisa
      My Store: http://www.zazzle.com/saveena*

Comment

Also to add

If I'm spending the $$ for organic anything it's going to be organic dairy. Even with the Lac-Aid I seem to have less problems with organic dairy. It IS more expensive but for me it's worth it because I have so many other digestive issues. It just makes more sense for me, personally.
        Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
        Lexapro-20 mg
        Aciphex
        Ambien-as needed
        Valium-10 mg x2 per day
        Phenergan-1 at night
        Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
        Hot baths
        Ice

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies. Saveena, that's an interesting theory and I'm gonna look into it. As far as the lactaid goes, no help for me. We thought maybe it was the "milk fat" since 2% is not as bad as whole milk, but there was no difference between the 2% and the skim. Now I have a few more things to try before I give up again;} Also I should mention that I get an auto-immune rash on my trunk as well as digestive problems with milk, so it could be linked to another condition. With eggs I just get a migraine and nausea for a day or so.
          Jamey

dx
          IC, endometriosis, cervical dysplasia, bi-polar, trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder), scoliosis, fibroid breast disorder, chronic fatigue, arthritis in hands, temporal lobe seizures
          meds
          buspar 30mg, atarax 100mg, norco 10mg 30/week for pain, vimpat 100mg 2/day, trileptal 600mg 2/day
          flare strategyestrace cream, lidocaine jelly, and ice pack on urethra. ativan .5mg for severe flares only

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
          (and looking for rainbows)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamey View Post
            Thanks so much for your replies. Saveena, that's an interesting theory and I'm gonna look into it. As far as the lactaid goes, no help for me. We thought maybe it was the "milk fat" since 2% is not as bad as whole milk, but there was no difference between the 2% and the skim. Now I have a few more things to try before I give up again;} Also I should mention that I get an auto-immune rash on my trunk as well as digestive problems with milk, so it could be linked to another condition. With eggs I just get a migraine and nausea for a day or so.
            I'm sure you have, but have you asked an allergist if he/she has any ideas or new treatments? Because the rash seems to be a different sort of thing. I, of course am not a doctor, so I know nothing, but I always have a lot of questions!!!
            Lexapro-20 mg
            Aciphex
            Ambien-as needed
            Valium-10 mg x2 per day
            Phenergan-1 at night
            Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
            Hot baths
            Ice

Comment

Have you tried any of the egg substitutes? There are also some nice milk substitutes on the market these days --- like rice, almond, coconut. It will be a challenge, but I know you can do it.

Sending encouraging hugs,
              Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I don't have any issues with milk but I have switched to almond milk. I even bake with it. I make smoothies with it and my kids don't know the difference.
                Have you tried egg whites vs whole eggs? I don't know if there is a difference there but maybe they wouldn't make you nauseas. Once in awhile I eat eggs and get nauseas out of the blue too. Most of the time I'm ok. Are you ok with them in baked/cooked goods? Its a much smaller amount.
                Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
                Macrobid after sex
                Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
                synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
                AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
                AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
                Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

As a vegan, I don't eat eggs or dairy, and I've managed well with the IC diet. Milk is the easiest - use almond milk, rice milk, or some other substitute. It's also better for you. With eggs, you can bake without them - just look up any vegan or egg-free recipe, and there's one for anything you can imagine baking.

Comment

Working...
                  X