Iron supplements and Vitamin C tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron supplements and Vitamin C tablets

I have to take some prescription iron supplements 3 times per day for anemia. And the doc said to take 250 mg of Vitamin C with each iron tablet to help with absorption. I've got to try it, but I wonder if others have had problems with this. The anemia seems to be due to GI absorption problems generally, not due to a diet problem.

I find the Ester C or buffered C is ok on my bladder.
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

vitiman C

When I asked about a suppliment for vitimans I might be lacking because of diet my doctor said to use the Sustained release Vitamin C a slow release formula. I don't know about iron suppliment.

Comment

I can take the ester C but I've always had problems with iron supplements I think due in part to my IBS and also, iron sups are famous for intestinal problems. I'm sorry youre in this position. Has your doc given you any advice on how to handle any gastro problems because I have horrible pains when ive had to take them. You might want to check with him/her. And if you do get anything that helps, please post it! I hope things go well and you don't have to do it for too long.
        Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
        Lexapro-20 mg
        Aciphex
        Ambien-as needed
        Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
        Valium-10 mg x2 per day
        Phenergan-1 at night
        Prelief w/everything
        Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
        Heating pad
        Hot baths
        Ice
        Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

I was also going to suggest the sustained release formula. You can also take the iron with a vitamin C rich food like broccoli, yellow squash, bell peppers, blueberries, or even low acid orange juice if you can tolerate it.
          Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
          IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
          IC Diet Website
          For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
          Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
          Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
          IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Working...
          X