Pesto? Capers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesto? Capers?

I'm guessing that pesto is IC-friendly (all that garlic, etc.)... anyone aware otherwise? I'm thinking it will be a great substitute for pizza and for pastas.

I also really love capers. But they're a bit pickly, so I'm wondering if they might not be so IC-friendly?

Sour is a taste I love, pickles and sauerkraut and mustards (& capers?) are a bit of a sad loss for me.
    ______
    Severe IC developed fairly quickly, autumn 2010.
    So severe that I was bed-bound & on 160mg/day morphine to cope with torturous pain levels, and unable to function other than hospital/medical appointments, for seven months. Then, miracle of miracles, something started working. I am steadily lowering the methadone dose level. I have been far out of that desperate nightmare hell zone for several months now and continue to improve.

- Ranitidine (anti-histamine, H2-inhibitor) 300mg/day
    - Methadone 9 ml/day
    - Instillations:
    - 40ml Kenalog (steroid for inflammation) 2 x per
    week, along with rescue cocktail of heparin,
    lidocaine, sodium bicarbonate
    - 20ml Uracyst, monthly @ $100/per
    - Depo lupron injections for endometriosis, monthly @ $88/per

I have had good luck with pesto!! But I'm with you on missing the sour lemony pickled foods. The very first time I set off my IC to a 10 was when I decided that a couple of Prelief could handlr a cheeseburger with mustard and extra pickles. Needless to say I haven't done that again. I was at an Italian restaurant a while back and ordered something that had a cream sauce with a few capers thrown in, I ate a few just for the taste (which was great) but for the most part picked them out. I didn't have a bad reaction, but like I said I only ate a few. I guess those and fruits are the tastes I miss the most!! But pesto is great and very easy to make!!!
    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
    Lexapro-20 mg
    Aciphex
    Ambien-as needed
    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
    Phenergan-1 at night
    Prelief w/everything
    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
    Heating pad
    Hot baths
    Ice
    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

pesto - capers

Becaue the capers are packed in a brine makes me afraid to do more than a taste with them.

I did notice at my local health food store there is a sauerkraut by 'Bubbies' that is not in a vinegar or brine that should be safe for you. I did not buy them but did purchase their dill pickles also processed without vinegar.

I found them by seeing a tip on this board for which I am grateful.

Comment

Pesto is great if it's homemade, but just be aware if you're eating it out that many recipes utilize lemon juice.

As a follow up, does anyone have trouble with pine nuts (also in Pesto)? I also want to know if anyone's had issues with capers. Maybe if you rinsed off the brine it'd be okay? I would sometimes substitute green olives for capers, and those are on the maybe list, so capers might belong on the maybe list as well....

I soooo miss all the sour/pickled foods, but like the above post said, Bubbies has several vinegar free products. Check out bubbies.com to see if there's a store that sells them near you. I tried to get them the other day but couldn't find the Whole Foods they were at. I just moved so am still not familiar with the area, but it's become a bit of a quest for me now!!

Comment

pesto and capers

So interesting how we miss those sour and pickled foods.
          I actually have rinsed capers off and eaten just a few, which didn't bother me. I haven't tried pesto since IC, but maybe I will make some if I can find a recipe, sounds good.
          I'm going to search for the Bubbe brand saurkraut and pickles once this flare from hell calms down,(being hopeful here). Yum.

Comment

Working...
          X