Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReneeWest
    replied
    sorry if this is coming to you too late... but consider Yeast Extract as a source of IC pain. YE is a flavor enhancer... just like MSG... they say it's "all natural" but that really doesn't mean anything. It kills me. It's hard to find soups/stocks without it nowadays. I make my own stock now but in a pinch I've used Swansons Stock, not broth. It's a little more pricey than the others but doesn't cause me a flare.
    Hope you find something that works.

Leave a comment:

• Sprockets
    replied
    I don't know if everyone has a Penzey's spice store in their area, but Penzey's makes great chicken and beef broth bases that are free of just about everything except the meat in question. Much less salty than any broth base I've found in this country, as well. And you can make gravy from them.

Leave a comment:

• icwillbehealed
    replied
    Chicken Broth

I find I have different times of month where I can tolerate but then other times I cannot. We make our own broth, and the last time I was sick my husband made a batch with only celery, carrots,chicken and REALsalt. All of which I eat normally in salads. I had no flare, (but I also had a bad cold) There have been other times though that I did not flare from it. Then I made it a week later, same ingredients and it flared me bad. Tried again just today, and I flared. That is why I was searching for this forum. I have a theory that it could be the mineral content. At least with homemade broth, lots of minerals from the bones get into the soup which is very healing to the gut, but I suppose could be too strong with the IC bladder. All soup broths from the store have always flared me, really anything that has been processed in anyway. Its like my body has a sensor in my bladder that tells me if the food has been processed..

Leave a comment:

• jacque
    replied
    I get massive flares with chicken broth

I get massive flares with chicken broth. I have bought Organic chicken broth as well as made homemade chicken broth and both gave me horrible flares and both had no MSG!

Leave a comment:

• judy45
    replied
    Go 100% organic, that's what I do and have never had a problem

Leave a comment:

• meResque
    replied
    We make our own, in giant batches, and then freeze it. Super easy to pop a frozen serving of chicken broth (or turkey broth, mmm!) into whatever you're making. I haven't had good luck with canned soup, no matter how closely I examine the ingredients!

Leave a comment:

• Carolyn M
    replied
    Good morning Penneyjo~
    Although salt is on the IC Friendly diet, my Mother can't tollerate high sodium broths made with regular table salt. Regular cans of broth may say Low Sodium and infact may be higher in sodium than a box of Organic chicken/beef broth. If you don't have an Organic section in your super market you may still be able to pick it up in your soup isle, I get the store brand Organic Chicken Broth which is much cheaper anyway, about $2.50 for 32oz. Organic chicken broth in your Oraganic section and be as high as $5.00 per 32oz. With that said the Organic broths are not without salt but made with sea salt and do have organic onion powder and organic (Turmeric) which is on your IC try it list, but does not seem to bother my Mother. Salt is a huge trigger for her, like pooring salt into an open wound so to speak. Hope you get relief soon. Carolyn

Leave a comment:

• penneyjo
    replied
    I looked at the can again and it's not onion powder, it's onion juice concentrate.

Leave a comment:

• penneyjo
    replied
    That's a good idea. I think I've used it before, but it's probably a very high amount in the chicken broth. I would NEVER have guessed this. Thanks for all your help!

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    You might try making something with onion powder in it. Some patients are fine with cooked onions, but not powder..

Leave a comment:

• penneyjo
    replied
    This did have onion powder in it. But, it's strange, I can eat regular onions. There was no citric acid in it. ?

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    Onions or onion powder give me a flare every time! And I've not found a single chicken broth available without it So now, I use a crockpot and make my broth overnight the day before I want to cook with it. Or I freeze the crockpot broth I make & pull it out of the fridge when I need it for recipes.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I do a lot of cooking with chicken broth. I do read labels.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    I haven't noticed any problem with it but then again it's not something I would think of to notice for a trigger. Is there possibly citric acid added to preserve it? I know a lot of people have trouble with this, and it's added to a lot of foods.

Leave a comment:

• penneyjo
    started a topic problems with canned chicken broth

problems with canned chicken broth

How do you all do with canned chicken broth? The last few times I have made soup with it, I've had a bad problem with burning. I even got the one without MSG and low sodium. I'd appreciate any help with this. I don't spot any ingredients that are on the bad list on the label.
Working...
X