black pepper flare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black pepper flare?

I had dinner out last night and the gravy had lots of cracked black pepper in it. Too much for my taste, it burned my tongue even. I didn't even think about it in relation to the bladder. But this morning I have lots of pain. Do you think there's a connection?

Very likely.....but if you had this in a restaurant, they also may have used MSG or a derivative in the gravy mix.

You could call and ask. I would!
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Black Pepper was my WORST flare ever!
      Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

Yes, the more I thought about this, the more sense it made. Black pepper is a spice, and any spice, when it's so strong or too much of it that it makes your tongue burn, could effect the bladder, it seems. Black pepper, red pepper, what's the difference? I'm sure there were no bad ingredients in the gravy because I know of the owners. No MSG for their customers. Well, I guess awareness is a good thing so I can avoid it in the future.

Comment

Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
          IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
          IC Diet Website
          For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
          Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
          Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
          IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Black pepper

Black Pepper is an irritant for me too. I just wish the resturants wouldn't put so much on the food they prepare. I find they add it not only to gravy but the breading on fried foods. I think on a good day I can tolerate a little.

Comment

I cannot eat Black pepper, but Red pepper or white pepper does not bother me..
              Hugs
              Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
              http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
              http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
              Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
              Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
              Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
              Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Working...
              X