Food and travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food and travel

OK, not sure whether this should be here or under vacations. Road trips...any advice??? Is there anything we can eat at the fast food chains? I am REALLY leery about heading out on the road without any idea what I can and can't eat. We are going to be going really slow because I have to get out and walk every 2 hours due to clot risk, so we are looking at a good 2 - 3 days on the road...UGH!!!

Subway - turkey or roast beef on italian bread, Lays Classic chips, original Fritos
    InNOut Burger - hamburger or cheeseburger on bun with lettuce only, fries, vanilla milkshake
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

When I was first diagnosed anything at McDonald's would kill me, but now I can have a plain cheeseburger, fries, and a bottled water. My son always likes going to McD's when we drive to AZ, so discovering I could tolerate this gave me one less thing to argue about for eight hours in the car.

Wendy's still does baked potatoes, I think. One of those with butter would be pretty IC friendly if the burger thing scares you a bit. A higher end chain would probably not put as many food additives and preservatives in the hamburger meat.

(I have to say that one of the benefits IC has given me is that I eat less fast food now, which is a good thing.)
      Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
      Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
      Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

If I'm really stuck, I have French fries and a vanilla milkshake.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

plain hamburgers, vanilla milkshakes....

You can also stop at grocery stores and travel with a cooler. We did that all the time when the kids were smaller. We would stop at school playgrounds, have a picnic, and the kids could run around and play.

I ALWAYS take along my own water and a few snacks since I never know what will happen. Part of our travels take us through Chicago to visit our kids in Wisconsin. You can bet I know where all the bathrooms are!!!

Good luck.....long road trips can actually be relaxing and fun if you focus on the journey and not just the destination.

Hugs!
            Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
            IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
            IC Diet Website
            For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
            Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
            Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
            IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Food help when traveling

Hi,

I find that staying at hotels that have an empty mini fridge and microwave most helpful when on a trip. The Hilton Garden Inn in New York City Time Square has this and maybe the other Garden Inns do as well. Other hotels will add an empty mini-fridge for $25 and I also get a microwave ordered. I bring various cereals I can eat in baggies that hold one meal's worth, dried fruit such as dates, walnuts, organic graham crackers, granola bars, etc. I also bring or buy plastic cutlery and paper plates, sugar, etc. I pack a plastic container to use as a bowl and a measuring cup that can go in the microwave. As soon as I can I go to a store to buy Evian water (lg and small bottles), skim milk, pears, bananas, cheese and any other items I want. My hubby buys yogurt, OJ, muffins and cut up fruit or berries. With all this we don't have to go out for breakfast and have snack items handy. We also can get ready in the am at our own pace, without dressing to go to a restaurant. I hope this helps. Kathy

Comment

food while traveling

When we travel, which is rarely, we try to stay at a Marriott Residence Inn. They have full kitchens, including a kitchen table. They aren't always the nicest hotels, but they do have the convenience and feel of home, since they also have little livingroom areas.
                We try to shop when we arrive, and stock the frig. My DH likes to go to the free breakfast buffet, and will usually bring back an extra muffin or two for a late night snack.

Comment

If going on a holiday we ussally rent condo's, often no more expensive than a hotel room, sometimes cheaper, and you get a kitchen, washer/dryer and room and all the amenities a hotle offers depending on what you take.

Not if it is just an over night but longer than that.

You can find condos to rent anywhere at a VRBO.
                  My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Similar

I do similar things as everyone else. I do pack lots of snacks just in case. Almonds, coconut, and dates. I might even make a sandwich of almond spread and blueberry jelly on Bran for Life Bread.
                    Subway is probably my favorite as someone else mentioned. I get the Turkey on wheat bread with white cheese (yum they even melt it for me) then bell peppers, olives, lettuce, with oil drizzled.
                    Also the Wendy's baked potato is lovely.
                    At some Mexican restaurants I have ordered Quesadillas--making sure it is white cheese.
                    At Outback Steak house I have ordered the broccoli and cauliflower and then had the baked potato as well.
                    At a pizza place they make me breadsticks with white cheese.
                    At Starbucks or another coffee place I've ordered the hot milk--yum with just a little brown sugar in it.
                    It is a challenge and I basically try not to eat out. So I feel for you. It's very stressful and often you feel like you are eating too many carbs.
                    Hope the best for your trip.

Comment

Hi Stacie Lynn,
                      During road trips I prefer french fries, Lays classic chips and vanilla milk shake.
                      You can also have something from Subway.
                      san antonio personal trainer

Comment

I am a little surprised at all the Subway suggestions. In my research I read that the meat there is filled with nitrates. We are getting on ok though. Lots of banana, pear and white cheese. I am eating baked potato and I found some safe lunch meat and bread. Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Subways website has an ingredient list that will tell you if it has nitrates. There are no nitrates in the roast beef or turkey that I get.

Comment

Kathy, I have stayed at the HGI! It is in a very convenient location to most everything a person wants to see in Manhattan. In fact, Manhattan is a great location for an IC person to visit. I was worried about bathrooms, but with the abundance of large retail stores, that just wasn't a problem at all. AND the delis on every corner are full of IC friendly sandwiches, produce, and water. Loved it there. (Now I want to go back!)
                            Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                            IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                            IC Diet Website
                            For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                            Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                            Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                            IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Working...
                            X