X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calinda
    replied
    Beans

I only know that pinto beans don't agravate me. I'm not really fond of any other kind of bean except black beans. I only know how to cook pinto beans also.

I soak them overnight. You can then either boil them on the stove at a constant boil for 3 hours. Add spices--I use salt, garlic powder, and cumin the last 30 minutes and let the water boil down and get thick.

Or you can put them in the crock pot and cook them all day basically. Just hope the water doesn't steam or escape out. The last hour I take the lid off add the spices and let the water cook down.

I eat them with white cheese and tortillas, or as a side to a meal.

Leave a comment:

• TexasHoney
    replied
    Potatoes somtimes irritate my bladder somtimes they don't.

Leave a comment:

• nottoc4
    replied
    That's true about potatoes,they are high in potassium.Strange isn't it!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I wish I knew, but for a short time I was on a potassium supplement and it didn't cause any bladder irritation. I can eat cantaloupe occasionally with no problem. I was also encouraged to eat potatoes, which are lso high in potassium --- and they are listed as being IC safe.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• nottoc4
    replied
    Donna,there is potassium in everything grown in the ground and in dairy also.
    My husband is on a low potassium diet because of damage to his kidneys because of Chemotherapy.
    So if it's not the potassium in Limas.cantelope and bananas,what is it about those foods that make it a problem for IC'ers?

Leave a comment:

• passion4life
    replied
    Thanks for all the responses. Yes, the yellowish colored lima beans are what we call "butter beans."

The red beans are also packaged/known as red beans.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    It isn't the potassium! Potassium is essential to maintain health. Potassium that goes through the digestive system is not the same as putting potassium directly into the bladder (potassium sensitivity test). I have a friend whose mother was hospitalized with stroke symptoms that were found to be a potassium deficiency --- and I had to have IV potassium before I could safely receive anesthesia for a surgical procedure.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• nottoc4
    replied
    I am fine with all beans except Limas(butter beans are the same as limas,too much potassium.)

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    We used to call the yellowish colored lima beans "butter beans" --- are the red beans you reference the same as kidney beans? I don't know about the purple hull or blackeye peas.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• passion4life
    started a topic Beans, Beans, and More Beans

Beans, Beans, and More Beans

I love the IC diet list. This great tool has assisted so much as I attempt to stick to the "IC diet."

I am confused about the beans. Cooking has never been one of my strengths. Can someone break down "beans" in simple terms? I am from the south and we eat something called buttered beans. Are these considered safe? Purple hull peas, blackeye peas and red beans??????

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Working...
X