This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potassium and Interstitial Cystitis

KathiB--have you found baby food bananas without ascorbic acid added? I used to love them, but never could find one without the added ascorbic acid.

One GREAT source of potassium (I can tolerate it, though there is minor frequency afterwards; others may not be as lucky, but it's worth a shot) is coconut water. More potassium in a small serving than in a banana. Just be sure to check labels, I go for the "Naked" brand (sometimes I go for the mango peach, but usually plain) because they truly don't add anything. Many brands add ascorbic acid to bump up their "C" ratings on the labels, Naked does not. I LOVE my coconut water.

If you're having to use laxatives, potassium is especially important, from what I have read. Is that correct or did I just get some misinformation years ago? Since surgery, I've had to use occasional pain meds....which result in laxative use. I've noticed many others here on meds that are notorious for constipating, so I just thought I'd add that. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks!
    DX IC (cystoscopy) 7/93
    Meds did little-nothing, but Paxil (98) calmed it down. (No longer on an SSRI; hate meds)
    IC went to "barely noticeable" status for years. (I put it on 'ignore')
    MAJOR flare 7/13 along with 2 injuries, especially the first, labral tear, right hip.
    Unable to urinate hardly at all with undiagnosed muscle tears (10) & labral tear Fall/Winter 13/14.
    Surgery successful for muscle and hip repair, 4/14. Researching the connection between hip injuries and pelvic/bladder painhttp://www.hss.edu/hip-pain-center-f...-questions.asp as well as muscle tears: http://vincerainstitute.com/core-inj...sports-hernia/ (just some helpful links)

Comment

Ascorbic acid is added to baby food for the vitamin C also. It really is a tiny amount and most IC patients probably don't have a problem. But, if you can eat jarred bananas, why not the real bananas? Do you just not like them?
      Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
      IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
      IC Diet Website
      For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
      Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
      Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
      IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Anyone try this for their kidney stones and flare from it? NutriCology Potassium Citrate capsules
        My kidney stone doc who used to treat IC wanted me to take a pottasium citrate pill that you dissolve in water to help prevent me getting new kidney stones but i felt it flared my IC so stopped it. Well now i have 2 new kidney stones. All i can do is limit my salt now. What do any of you do to prevent kidney stones?
        IC ulcerative proctitus lower back pain uterine fibroid allergies

A friend is a person who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

There are no rules. That is how art is born, how breakthroughs happen. Go against the rules or ignore the rules. That is what invention is about. Helen Frankenthaler
        :woohoo:

Comment

Crazy that I found a topic about this. Just two and a half weeks ago, I started acting REALLY weird at home, slurred speech, could walk straight and memory completely went to the point where I didn't know who I was, my husband took me IMMEDIATELY to an on call center, and they sent me to the ER straight away. Turns out I had critically low potassium. Something I have NEVER gave a second thought to. We still aren't sure how it happened. I was hospitalized for three days where several times a day I would lose my memory for 5-20 mins. forget why I was in the hospital, who I was etc. etc. etc. Don't know if it was meds interacting, or just a strange coincidence, but I've been pretty freaked out ever since about it. Lots of bananas for this girl.
          Elmiron 100mg 3x daily
          Buspirone 10mg 2x daily
          Amitriptyline 100mg 1x daily
          Verapamil ER 100mg 1x daily
          Klonopin 0.5mg 1x daily
          Pantoprazole 40mg 1x daily
          Minastrin 24 fe chewable tabs 28's 1x daily
          ---------------------------------
          As needed:
          Zofran 8mg
          Promethazine 25mg
          Tramadol 50mg
          Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5-325mg

"You're prettiest when you are happy"

Comment

Has anyone had issues with potassium levels that were too high??

I just had a potassium test done yesterday....and I know, I know,...it's not a standard test anymore...but some of us don't live in the U.S.. I live in Quebec which is the most backward place i've ever lived.

They didn't even put the whole bag in and it was painful. NOt excrutiating but enough to make me say enough. I left the hospital, walked to the bus a few blocks away and had to go into a cafe and sit down because I was so DIZZY! I thought I would fall over, it was very scary.

I had pain in my bladder last night, sharp stabbing pains. Still a little lightheaded today but not sure if thats from the lack of sleep or the potassium or what.

Called my Uro today. He's not in until Thurs. The nurse was consulting with the other uro on staff who said my dizziness had nothing to do with the potassium test. Then said, I"m probably dizzy today because my potassium is too low. Keep in mind that I speak English and they French and the nurse was translating. Maddening.

I'm completely livid over the incompetency of drs here. But thats another story.

I was reading that both high and low levels of potassium can cause dizziness. So it seems that the potassium from the test got into my blood stream and caused dizziness. I don't know how the Uro thinks that this is an unrelated event. I swear, these drs get their medical degrees from a crack jack box.

My bladder isn't too severe today and the dizziness is better. I called because I wanted my uro to know this happened. Of course they never warned me of the possible side effects, and now wont' even take responsibility for it.

I just want to know why and if there is anything I should do. And if this is an indication that I do have IC because of the sensitivity.

Of course I cant get a follow up with the uro until the end of Jan. Great.

God, please find me a job back in the good ol U.S. of A.!!!

Comment

The only way you would know if your potassium is too high or too low would be through a blood test. (unless there is another way to check it that I'm unaware of). If a potassium test is done in office through a cystoscopy how sensitive you are to the potassium is one way they check for IC. Seems to me though that even a normal bladder would not feel so great after instilling potassium (just my opinion). If your dizziness gets worse you may want to be checked at an urgent care facility if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellyn View Post
                Has anyone had issues with potassium levels that were too high??

I just had a potassium test done yesterday....and I know, I know,...it's not a standard test anymore...but some of us don't live in the U.S.. I live in Quebec which is the most backward place i've ever lived.

They didn't even put the whole bag in and it was painful. NOt excrutiating but enough to make me say enough. I left the hospital, walked to the bus a few blocks away and had to go into a cafe and sit down because I was so DIZZY! I thought I would fall over, it was very scary.

I had pain in my bladder last night, sharp stabbing pains. Still a little lightheaded today but not sure if thats from the lack of sleep or the potassium or what.

Called my Uro today. He's not in until Thurs. The nurse was consulting with the other uro on staff who said my dizziness had nothing to do with the potassium test. Then said, I"m probably dizzy today because my potassium is too low. Keep in mind that I speak English and they French and the nurse was translating. Maddening.

I'm completely livid over the incompetency of drs here. But thats another story.

I was reading that both high and low levels of potassium can cause dizziness. So it seems that the potassium from the test got into my blood stream and caused dizziness. I don't know how the Uro thinks that this is an unrelated event. I swear, these drs get their medical degrees from a crack jack box.

My bladder isn't too severe today and the dizziness is better. I called because I wanted my uro to know this happened. Of course they never warned me of the possible side effects, and now wont' even take responsibility for it.

I just want to know why and if there is anything I should do. And if this is an indication that I do have IC because of the sensitivity.

Of course I cant get a follow up with the uro until the end of Jan. Great.

God, please find me a job back in the good ol U.S. of A.!!!
                When a potassium sensitivity test is done, if the patient experiences pain when the potassium is instilled, it is immediately drained out and an analgesic is instilled to stop the pain from the potassium. There are several things that could cause the dizziness --- it could even be because you were nervous about the test. One thing you might want to do today is to contact your primary care physician and ask if they are willing to check the potassium level in your blood. I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I'm glad I found this thread. I am allergic to bananas and avocados, so i am really happy to find out that potatoes and coconut work.

Comment

I was thinking of buying a whole food supplement from only vegetable sources that includes calcium, magnesium and potassium. I was on PPI's a long time and I am depleted in calcium and minerals. Do you think a whole food supplement would be safe for the postassium? Because of GERD I am on a extremely limited diet, no bananas, etc. etc.

Comment

Re: I lowered my potassium and ended up in the ER

I don't have a problem with Potassium supplements if I take them in limited amounts with food, and especially the Citrate form - I need it to prevent muscle cramps, tremors and high blood pressure, so I can't eliminate it entirely. I also take a Cal/Mag/Zinc supplement for the same reasons. The OTC Potassium Citrate pills are only 99mg, which is a small amount.

Comment

Re: Potassium/soy milk?

Thank you for making this clear for me Julie, I just really thought about this and I do love and eat Bananas and it had came to me Thank you Again.

Comment

Working...
                        X