Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else punish themselves on accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrea, you may find that once you feel better, you will value feeling good over the taste of fast food and stuff you used to love. When I look at a bottle of red wine now, all I see is pain. Avoidance of pain is a pretty powerful motivator.

Plus, there are indulgences you can still have even with IC. I don't know how many cartons of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce I went through when I was first diagnosed, but my freezer looked like a Baskin Robbins, I'm pretty sure.
    Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
    Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
    Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

I think one of the things that is hard for me is I didn't have pain when I was flaring. Just horrid frequency and urgency. Sometimes I think that a root beer might be worth a few days of that. I am not going to do, don't worry. It's just on my mind.

I hope you're right, I really do.

Because if I hit 6+ months and I can't at least enjoy a root beer every now and again or some mustard on a sandwhich, or a piece of pizza with sauce I might lose it.

Comment

Hey...I was happy to read about vanilla ice cream and caramel. In fact, I'm going to buy some tomorrow. I'm been nibbling on white chocolate chips and don't miss chocolate too much to be honest.

I hear you Andrea, I'm not sure I can handle not having pizza. I need a very GOOD substitute. The recipes here are good but I really love the tomato sauce on top . And I also love mustard dipping sauce. Someone said Coke reminds them of plastic, I think I'll try to put that in my mind when I think of soda. But it's so darn good, I don't think I can.
        Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

So this is what I tell myself and also share with our support group: you don't have to follow the IC diet. No one is making you. You can go out today and eat whatever you want; get a jar of mustard and suck it down with a straw! However, this is a choice you're making because you'd rather live your life than be in the bathroom all the time.

When I hit low points, I remind myself that it's always my choice. For some reason, that makes me feel better.
          Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
          Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
          Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Yeah, vanilla ice cream is my after dinner treat a lot. Also you can do apples (the bladder friendly kind) and have carmel with them. Mmm. I also made homemade vanilla frosting (easy peasy) and made a cake. Those have been my faves lately.

Tonight for dinner I made chicken with yellow pepper puree and garlic and made 'guacamole' just with garlic and avocados an some rice and wrapped it in a torilla. While it's very delish I wish I had a soda to go with it. The blueberry juice ain't cutting it.

Comment

pizza and carbonation

I also miss carbonation a lot. I sometimes (very rarely) will have just a little bit of ginger ale with a meal, and usually it's not too bad on me and I take a lot of Prelief beforehand. I used to drink a coke every day for lunch, but now, it tastes like toilet cleaner if I take a sip. I still miss the carbonation a lot. The combination of sugar and caffiene is just the best.

On the other hand, I eat pizza all the time, I just use garlic oil for sauce or none at all and just load it with all the things I can eat safely. It's delicious! Restaurants will do this for you or you can do it at home. I don't think I'll ever crave tomato products again, as they just seem like a death sentence. But, I'd sure love a glass of wine or some iced tea sometimes and the feelings that go along with them, relaxation or energy.

It's tough.
              treatment:
              -I follow the IC diet to the letter
              -acupuncture and chinese herbs
              -Prelief
              -UTA
              -instillations as needed
              -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
              -Wellbutrin
              -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

Comment

Andrea, that chicken dish sounds delish.
                Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Working...
                X