Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else punish themselves on accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toto
    replied
    Andrea, that chicken dish sounds delish.

Leave a comment:

• penneyjo
    replied
    pizza and carbonation

I also miss carbonation a lot. I sometimes (very rarely) will have just a little bit of ginger ale with a meal, and usually it's not too bad on me and I take a lot of Prelief beforehand. I used to drink a coke every day for lunch, but now, it tastes like toilet cleaner if I take a sip. I still miss the carbonation a lot. The combination of sugar and caffiene is just the best.

On the other hand, I eat pizza all the time, I just use garlic oil for sauce or none at all and just load it with all the things I can eat safely. It's delicious! Restaurants will do this for you or you can do it at home. I don't think I'll ever crave tomato products again, as they just seem like a death sentence. But, I'd sure love a glass of wine or some iced tea sometimes and the feelings that go along with them, relaxation or energy.

It's tough.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    Yeah, vanilla ice cream is my after dinner treat a lot. Also you can do apples (the bladder friendly kind) and have carmel with them. Mmm. I also made homemade vanilla frosting (easy peasy) and made a cake. Those have been my faves lately.

Tonight for dinner I made chicken with yellow pepper puree and garlic and made 'guacamole' just with garlic and avocados an some rice and wrapped it in a torilla. While it's very delish I wish I had a soda to go with it. The blueberry juice ain't cutting it.

Leave a comment:

• wagamama
    replied
    So this is what I tell myself and also share with our support group: you don't have to follow the IC diet. No one is making you. You can go out today and eat whatever you want; get a jar of mustard and suck it down with a straw! However, this is a choice you're making because you'd rather live your life than be in the bathroom all the time.

When I hit low points, I remind myself that it's always my choice. For some reason, that makes me feel better.

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    Hey...I was happy to read about vanilla ice cream and caramel. In fact, I'm going to buy some tomorrow. I'm been nibbling on white chocolate chips and don't miss chocolate too much to be honest.

I hear you Andrea, I'm not sure I can handle not having pizza. I need a very GOOD substitute. The recipes here are good but I really love the tomato sauce on top . And I also love mustard dipping sauce. Someone said Coke reminds them of plastic, I think I'll try to put that in my mind when I think of soda. But it's so darn good, I don't think I can.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    I think one of the things that is hard for me is I didn't have pain when I was flaring. Just horrid frequency and urgency. Sometimes I think that a root beer might be worth a few days of that. I am not going to do, don't worry. It's just on my mind.

I hope you're right, I really do.

Because if I hit 6+ months and I can't at least enjoy a root beer every now and again or some mustard on a sandwhich, or a piece of pizza with sauce I might lose it.

Leave a comment:

• wagamama
    replied
    Andrea, you may find that once you feel better, you will value feeling good over the taste of fast food and stuff you used to love. When I look at a bottle of red wine now, all I see is pain. Avoidance of pain is a pretty powerful motivator.

Plus, there are indulgences you can still have even with IC. I don't know how many cartons of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce I went through when I was first diagnosed, but my freezer looked like a Baskin Robbins, I'm pretty sure.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    I used to be a wine drinker also and I had the same effect when I tasted some a while ago. It tasted so much like a mix of vinegar and acid that I don't think I will ever want to drink it again- even if I could.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    Yep, that's why I am still on it even though I want to rip my hair out.

I don't think I'll ever get over wanting a Red Bull or a Dorito to be honest. Maybe I won't crave it as much but I just don't think that's going to happen. These like 7 main meals I can have are going to get old fast. I don't like a lot of the items people use to replace things (bell pepper sauces, cream cheese, cottage cheese, radishes etc.) I have always craved fast foods over regular food and that's not going to change eating chicken and rice lol. I may learn to cope better but I don't see me suddenly thinking those foods were horrible.

*sips blueberry juice*

Leave a comment:

• wagamama
    replied
    I think it's really important to adhere to the diet strictly at first. Over time, you may find that you can tolerate a root beer or something once in a while. Perhaps if you tell yourself this may not be forever, that might make it easier for right now.

I agree with Kadi about your tastes changing over time. I used to be a huge red wine drinker, but then I went wine tasting with my husband and took the teeniest sip of his wine - it tasted super sour like vinegar. I don't miss it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    You do get used to it after awhile. Now when I smell a Coke, all I smell is chemicals. But in the beginning - it drove me crazy...

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    I am sorry you're still in pain. *hugs* Sometimes I wish I was sick again because I didn't care about eating anything and lived on oatmeal. I didn't have pain just frequency though. I know the diet is helping at least a little because my meds took a week to 'kick in' and the only thing helping my frequency had to be the diet. Unless I get stressed I am only going every 2-3 hours and 2 times at night. Maybe I would feel different if I had pain as well. I just feel like everything is a struggle these days whether I am healthy or sick.

Food ads are from the devil. *nods*

I hope the diet will help you as you continue on. Not being in pain I am sure would make the limited food selection a little worth it.

The sad thing is if I could just have 1 cool ranch dorrito and 1/2 a Red Bull I would easily make it though another month. Just a 1/2 hour of flavor. Ugh. I think the finality of the diet is getting to me.

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    Nineteenwinters,

You've given me hope because you have improved. I'm glad to hear the diet has at least made a dent in your symptoms. I'm praying that the diet will help me also. But I hear ya about missing foods. I finally gave up coffee and it kills me not to have one. And because I can't have it I miss it even more, especially a latte. And when I see advertisements for Coca Cola or Pepsi I'm dying for one with a big glass of ice. Before I ate tomatoes all the time. I have no idea yet what to do about the pizza situation. That is my FAVORITE food. I've been reading suggestions, such as yours, and might give the chicken and cheese only a try.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied
    That's a good question. Dairy products have never bothered my bladder although I can get the runs from them. If yogurt bothers you then lactic acid may also. Good question to put in the Diet Section.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    MSG not BHT*

Also a lot that don't have MSG have lactic acid. Even though it's the last ingredient I am hesitant until I clear at least 2 months to try it. I was looking it up and it seems to come from sour milk. If I can have milk do you think I can have lactic acid? Some of these are so confusing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X