X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toto
    ICN Member
    • Feb 2011

Nsaids

I couldn't find posts about NSAIDS and how they affect IC. Does anyone know about this. I take Naproxen each month for about 5 days (at the time of my period). But I thought I read somewhere that NSAIDS can pose a problem for IC.

I did find in The Better Bladder Book that NSAIDS can hurt a sensitive bladder. Should I bring this up to my doctor? I'm afraid they won't know this answer. And I most definitely need a good pain med on-hand. Preferably not an opiate.

Is there some list somewhere of medications that are known to cause IC flares?
    Last edited by Toto; 08-19-2011, 05:43 AM.
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)
  • Briza
    ICN Member
    • Dec 2004

NSAIDS never affected my IC one way or the other. Regular tylenol helped a little. Tylenol with codeine helped a lot.

Comment

• wagamama
      ICN Member
      • Apr 2010

Some people say NSAIDs like ibuprofen make them flare. I can take ibuprofen just fine. However, earlier this year, I took one Aleve (naproxen sodium) for a sore shoulder and I flared for two weeks from it. I had forgotten that I hadn't had one since I developed IC. Because the ibuprofen is fine for me, I hadn't given it a second thought.
      Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
      Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
      Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

• ICNDonna
        ICN Staff
        • Mar 2000

I can't take any of the NSAIDS without bladder AND stomach misery.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

• earthlady
          ICN Member
          • Mar 2011

I can take ibuprofen but have to watch how often I take it. It seems to bother my stomach more so than my bladder.

Comment

• Pammylynn8
            ICN Member
            • Aug 2011

I do ok with Ibruprofen but not with aspirin. Ibruprofen doesn't bother my tummy or bladder. I would take Tylenol but it does absolutely nothing for my pain.
            -Pammylynn Rose
            Wishing everyone a pain free bladder day!

Painful symptoms start in May 2011
            Diagnosed with IC in Aug 2011

MEDICATIONS
            Elmiron
            Axert (only for rare migraines)
            Strict IC diet
            Gluten/dairy/egg free diet

Comment

• Toto
              ICN Member
              • Feb 2011

Tylenol is like a tic tac to me... LOL...

For some reason I thought Advil is a NSAID. Maybe I got that wrong. I do like Advil better than Naproxen for some reason but my doctor advised me to choose one, so I chose the Naproxen because it's longer lasting. Hmm....
              Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

• Briza
                ICN Member
                • Dec 2004

You're correct, Advil (ibupfroen) is an NSAID.

Comment

• DaniMSC
                  ICN Member
                  • Mar 2011

I feel like I'm having an extra-flare from taking Naproxen. It seems to be causing urethral burning. But as always, I'm not 100% sure.
                  IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
                  Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
                  Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
                  Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
                  Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
                  Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

Comment

• phoenixgirl
                    ICN Member
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DaniMSC
                    I feel like I'm having an extra-flare from taking Naproxen. It seems to be causing urethral burning. But as always, I'm not 100% sure.
                    I never had a problem with Aleve before but I took one last month and it caused a horrendous flare that took me over a week to get out of, even taking Prosed. I had some dental work done a few weeks ago and they said I could take up to 4 Advil. I was scared that would flare me, too, so I only took 2. Had no problem after a few hours but my mouth was killing me so I took 2 more and that helped. No flare at all from 4 Advil at a time but 1 Aleve messed me up BAD for days. Go figure.
                    Diagnosed with IC in April 2011. Medications and IC treatments did not help, diagnosed with PFD in September of 2013. Still searching for answers as to why I have never-ending frequency/urgency issues.

Current medications/treatments:
                    Pelvic physical therapy, valium suppositories, b and o suppositories, acupuncture, probiotics, magnesium, epsom salt baths

Previous medications/treatments:
                    Elmiron, Hydroxizine, Elavil, VESIcare, Series of rescue instillations using Elmiron, water, lidocaine, & sodium bicarb and self-cathing with instills as needed, D-mannose, Glucosamine, Hyophen (generic Prosed), Colostrum, IC diet, PTNS, chiropractic treatments, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, CystoProtek

Comment

• waterflow
                      ICN Member
                      • Jun 2006

I have taken Naproxen for years for my periods too and it never once helped with any of the bladder pain. Vicoden only helps with the bladder pain and doesn't help at all with the period cramps. To this day I still don't understand it but I just go with the flow. Can be hard trying to keep "everyone" happy down there.

Comment

• eilostnyc
                        ICN Member
                        • Oct 2011

Nsaids

For some strange reason my ic seems better since I started taking meloxicam which is an nsaid (taking it for my arthritic knee). I was told that it could be calming down my inflamed bladder. Is this a med that is used to treat IC? I don't see anything posted about these types of meds.

Comment

• penneyjo
                          ICN Member
                          • Nov 2010

I am so glad I found this thread. I have taken ibuprofen for years with no problem off and on, then I had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and was prescribed oxycodone, then ibuprofen. I started having problems with my bladder and it got to the point I couldn't even take one ibuprofen without feeling like I had acid in my bladder. I wonder why suddenly that can happen. I'm the same way, Tylenol doesn't do much at all for me, but I'm going to have to try it. I still have a good bit of pain with my shoulder since my rotator cuff was torn and repaired and am having trouble sleeping from the pain. Both oxycodone and ibuprofen upset people's stomachs, so I guess it stands to reason it could cause an IC flare. They don't affect my stomach at all. This is the craziest illness.
                          treatment:
                          -I follow the IC diet to the letter
                          -acupuncture and chinese herbs
                          -Prelief
                          -UTA
                          -instillations as needed
                          -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
                          -Wellbutrin
                          -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

Comment

• KDR007
                            ICN Member
                            • Jul 2012

Glad I found this thread too! I am newly diagnosed with IC...3 days ago, but I have had the awful pelvic pain for about 7 months, and it took 7 doctors to figure it out! I saw a urologist a couple weeks ago who prescribed Detrol for the frequency and urgency. I was peeing over 40x per day! That has been cut in half...that is, until Tuesday night. I wasn't comfortable with that urologist, so I switched. She is more knowledgable and treats IC, but I'm a little concerned. She prescribed 600mg. of Ibuprofen every 6-8 hours. She also started me on Elmiron on the same day. I started both on Tuesday. I have seen a sharp increase in my symptoms since then. I am still learning more details of the diet, and I think I accidently did make a couple of goofs. I really don't think it's just that though. I've been up all night crying again and back up to peeing at least 30x per day. I'm currently becoming one with my heating pad. The urologist never said that some people have problems with NSAIDS, so I guess I'm a little worried about that. This has been continuous, level 10 pain level, for over 48 hours now. It just seems a little curious that it started the same day I began taking the Ibuprofen. I think I will try without and see how I feel. I know the urologist treats IC, but not sure if she actually specializes in it. I need to find that out too. I cannot take Tylenol, but I did try that before, and for me, it didn't do a whole lot. I was on vicodin for over a month too. I would say that it did help with the more moderate pain, but when it's at its most severe, that didn't even really help. I really don't want to take another narcotic because I'm a single Mom, and obviously, I cannot drive when on that. I have a hard time driving like this anyway though when it's this bad. Pretty distracting. I don't think my doctor is down with prescribing more vicodin anyway. They sure do get weird about that sometimes. Anway, again, glad I found this, and I'm going to try to manage without the ibuprofen for now.

Comment

• eilostnyc
                              ICN Member
                              • Oct 2011

Hi KDR007. I am sorry you are in so much pain. I tried so many meds but not Elmiron. I didn't trust that it would work and you sit there for months wondering and it is a blood thinning med. I found a wonderful urogyn in Brooklyn NY that administers bladder instills once a week and it has been night and day a difference. it took about 5 treatments before I started seeing relief. I stop for a month or two and when the symptoms start inching up I start the treatments again. Are you near this location? If you can get here I would be more than happy to provide the doctor's contact info. She uses heparin and a steroid "solukortef" in a mix of lidocaine and I hold it in for about 2-3 hours and it really helps. I don't take much of anything else for the IC. when symptoms start acting up I take a purple pill called Uribel and then I make an appointment to start the bladder instills. Hope that you find relief soon!
                              Last edited by eilostnyc; 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Working...