Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does gulping water cause pain and irritation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does gulping water cause pain and irritation?

I was feeling sort of good for a couple days. Well...I gulped water this morning because I was very thirsty. And...now I'm suffering with frequency and burning. I'm trying to understand how this happened so suddenly. I am so uncomfortable now and it feels like I'm on fire down there.

Am I crazy...or can drinking water quickly cause so much agony. It's very pure water. I couldn't help myself because of thirst. I'm thinking this is an ongoing issue for me.

I want to drink more now but am afraid.
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Water in and of itself, if it is pure and has a normal ph, should not cause those kinds of symptoms.

You said you were very thirsty. I wonder if you had gotten dehydrated and after you drank the water all the impurities and "toxins" started to get cleansed from your blood and then hit your bladder?

Sometimes when I don't drink water throughout the day that seems to happen to me.
    Elinor

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    That I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.
    Wait on the Lord;
    Be of good courage,
    And He shall strengthen your heart;
    Wait, I say, on the Lord!
    ***Psalm 27:13-14***

http://facinglif.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you hadn't been drinking enough, then drank a lot at one time, it could be that your urine is still concentrated from lack of fluids. It's better to take small drinks frequently.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

It depends on how much is a 'gulp'. Like are you just taking a large swig of water or like downing an entire bottle(s)?

For my I only take about 2 full mouthfuls at a time even if I am thirsty. If I am still thirsty 10 minutes later I'll take another 2. If I were to drink an entire bottle of water (like when I had to drink 3 water bottles worth of dye in 15 minutes when I had my CT) it's game over for my bladder. I will be in pain. I can never drink more than would fill my bladder half way. If I go over that it's frequency up the wazoo for 12+ hours.

My bladder is so weird. When medications say take with a glass of water I have to spread it out. So I take 4 mouthfuls of water in 10 minutes and then I take the drug and take another 4 another 10 minutes. Anything more speedy screws me over.

When I have to take ones like that at night I am naughty because I won't do it. I need my sleep. Luckily all mine with warnings like that are gone by afternoon.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input. I've been going crazy all day with pain. Who knows what it is. I think I'll have to be more careful about drinking and perhaps monitor it more closely. I do get myself into a situation where I don't drink enough. This disease unfortunately makes us more aware of drinking fluids. Drink too much...it's bad... Not enough...it's bad... Blah, blah, blah....

Oh...and I didn't gulp a whole bottle, just about 6 ounces or more I think. Andrea...you are so similar to me. My bladder is so temperamental also. Heck, wish I could talk to the thing and ask it how it's feeling.
          Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Hi, Toto ~ Even water will do that to my bladder also. I think in my case it's the amount that runs through me so quickly and my bladder just doesn't know what to do with it. It's very painful (spasms) so I can understand. I've tried taking Prelief even with water.....hmmmm, really don't know if anything helps. The smaller sips over a longer time seem better for me too.

Hope you're feeling better by now.
            Never heard of IC til suspected....Never knew so many suffer from it. Praying for a cure. I've found answers...so can you...keep the hope.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery of surgery for bladder susp & hysto: painful/urge/freq urination up to 50 times a day, pain walking, even water hurts.
            8/2009 Susp IC; 1/2010 Treatment began; 2/2010 Diag PFD, PT, Surg remove mesh; 5/2010 Surg, 2nd bladder repair, vag vault/sm int prolapse repair, IC confirmed in surg; 7/2010 Diag Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones,
            8/2010 Surg gallbladder
            TREATMENTS (updated 4/15)
            IC Diet since 8/2009 (Able to vary 4/15)
            Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills 1xDay
            Aloe Vera Capsules, (2) 2xDay, Loratadine 1xDay
            Pantoprazole, Prelief, Pyridium up to 3xDay, Premarin Cream 3xWeek
            *DISCONTINUED since feeling better: Celexa 10mg daily*, Fiber supp*,
            Gabapentin 12/2011 worked well *, Macrodantin 100mg after instill*, Probiotics*, PT-PFD*, Valium Vag Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5mg *
            PROB MEDS: Elavil, up to 50mg 1/2011 ret&hbp, Urelle ret, Vesicare ret

Comment

sometimes when my bladder fills too much too quickly I get spasms and a bit of pain from that (especially if it's really cold water)
              smaller amounts more often, as the other ladies have suggested helps

Comment

Working...
              X