Yeast, The Candida Diet and IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast, The Candida Diet and IC

Does anyone know if the Candida diet in addition to the IC diet (is it really possible?) is effective? Does yeast play a role in many people with IC? I'm afraid to try the products my nutritionist wanted me to take because I have had recurring yeast infections. One has ginger in it and the other is multivitamen. I have avoided both for a year now. I'm afraid things would just get worse. Plus all those herbal remedies are quite expensive.

I've never had a yeast problem. Has your yeast been identified by a culture?

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I've had occasional infections. I know that for some ICers multivitamins can be irritating. I avoid them for that reason. I don't know about ginger though.

To help with yeast infections, my doctor told me to use fragrance free detergent and soap, and never to use fabric softener sheets. I also don't use tampons. These things seem to help keep yeast at bay. Do you have frequent infections?
      Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Originally posted by Sand View Post
        Does anyone know if the Candida diet in addition to the IC diet (is it really possible?) is effective? Does yeast play a role in many people with IC? I'm afraid to try the products my nutritionist wanted me to take because I have had recurring yeast infections. One has ginger in it and the other is multivitamen. I have avoided both for a year now. I'm afraid things would just get worse. Plus all those herbal remedies are quite expensive.
        I have read in several places that reducing your sugar intake can help if you have recurrent yeast infections. I think that can be very compatible with the IC diet. I have been fighting them myself this year so I sympathize.

I can eat a small amount of plain or vanilla greek yogurt so I do that regularly. Plus my gynecologist recommended regularly drying my "girl parts" out with a hairdryer on the cool setting. It looks funny, but I think it has helped.

There are other conditions that can mimic yeast infections, so I agree with Donna that if you haven't already, you should confirm it's really yeast you're dealing with.
        Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
        Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
        Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Yes. Three or four times a year. Usually following antibiotics but this summer was maybe that and wet swimsuit. I agree about the multivitamens. I think I will hold off for now. Also, the probiotic has absorbic acid and that would put me in a flare I'm pretty sure so I will probably look for a different one. I think I should avoid tampons as well.

Donna, I really have appreciated your advice this last year and a half. If you are ever going to be in Buffalo or Niagara Falls area and have a few extra minutes for coffee or breakfast, give me a shout, I would love to meet you.

Comment

Thanks. I go to my OBGYN and my Uro next week so I will discuss it all with them. It's always good to here well fellow ICers have to say.

Comment

I think I can answer this one pretty well.... Yes, you can do the yeast and IC diet with slight modifications. I had been doing it for a long time, and slowly started reintroducing things. Basically, you need to completely cut out sugar. (That's the first thing.) Yeast thrives on sugar. You also need to cut out all breads. Because that turns into sugar in your body, yeast thrives on it as well. I replaced breads with rice (small amounts) and quinoa. Instead of regular milk, I drank almond milk. Most of my meals were fresh or steamed veggies, meat, rice or quinoa. For breakfast, I did oatmeal with stevia (if you can tolerate it) or eggs. For snacks I ate carrots, cucumbers, and taco chips. If you can tolerate almonds, then those are a good snack as well. You can also do popcorn. I will tell you that the diet was very hard for me because it was so restrictive. You have to be careful not to lose too much weight, and to make sure you watch your fat & calorie intake to ensure you are getting enough. Definitely talk to your doctors about it first. To sum things up, yes it is possible, but not easy to stay on. Good luck!
              ~Valery~
              Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
              Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

Comment

This is helpful to me...I am going to have to try this. I had a confirmed test if a systemic candida problem. On top of that I have a blood disorder so I am on thinners and have to be careful with salads, broccoli, spinach, etc. I am having sooooo much trouble figuring out what to eat. I am also going to try a good probiotic and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacie Lynn View Post
                  This is helpful to me...I am going to have to try this. I had a confirmed test if a systemic candida problem. On top of that I have a blood disorder so I am on thinners and have to be careful with salads, broccoli, spinach, etc. I am having sooooo much trouble figuring out what to eat. I am also going to try a good probiotic and see how it goes.
                  Hi Stacie -

Wow, you are a worse case than me with the blood thinners! How were you diagnosed, if I might ask? I had a hard time figuring things out. Also, I take double the probiotics every night to keep things under control. A good one is Florajen 3, which is in the refrigerator at most natural food stores. Walgreens (pharmacy department behind the counter) has it the cheapest. You want at least 10 - 25 billion active cultures. 25 is a bit on the high side, but since I am so susceptible to yeast, that is what I take.
                  ~Valery~
                  Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
                  Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

Comment

I was going to ask what people were taking. My doc just told me that while ill you need around 30 billion (so your 25 is good) then when you have everything under control you can back down to 5 - 10. Right now I am not on enough and am working on finding one that doesn't break the bank. As far as the diagnosis...did you mean the blood disorder? If so, my sister had 2 heart attacks and a stroke last Jan. She is younger than I am, so it made me quite nervous. It was found that they were due to blood clots. I went in for testing and they found a rare blood disorder. The doc wasn't too worried about me because I had gotten through my pregnancies fine, then wham, I ended up with a bi-lateral pulmonary embolism a week later. So now I am on blood thinners indefinitely. If you were asking about the yeast...I had the ALCAT blood allergy test. It found a systemic candida issue.

Comment

I take femdopholis - http://www.jarrow.com/product.php?prodid=391.

It really does work me controlling my yeast infections. Not sure how it fits in with the IC diet, though- I'm just beginning to figure out what is good or not for the IC.

Comment

I am doing the candida diet. I read the book The Yeast Connection(highly recommend), and it actually lists IC as a symptom of yeast overgrowth. I am doing a yeast buster kit by Inno-vite which contains bentonite clay, caprylic acid, probiotics , and psyllium fibre. So far so good. My brain fog is gone and my sysstem feels "clean"
                        If anyone here has candida symptoms along with bladder issues, such as brain fog, fatigue, yeast infections ,irritability, sugar cravings, history of anti biotics , birth control pills, steroids, etc..then I recommend lookng into a yeast cleanse. I work at a health food store and am in school for holistic nutrition, so I am familiar with this kind of stuff. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!
                        28 years old
                        UTI's for 10 years
                        very bad urgency and frequency started Aug '10 Severe pressure, pain and burning in bladder, lower back, and thighs since May '11.
                        endometriosis removed (Sept 15th)
                        chronic pelvic pain since then
                        I currently take: elavil 25mg mg at night
                        clonazepam .25 mg daily for anxiety and nerve calming
                        probiotics
                        baking soda occasionally
                        Marshmallow root tea/capsules occasionally
                        other: heating pad/ice packs daily
                        deep breathing
                        massage
                        pelvic phsyio since jan '12

testing :cystoscopy ( urlogist said I have a small bladder but nothing abnormal)
                        many..MANY urine tests that all determine I do not have an infection.

ultrasounds for pre and post void (nothing abnormal)

things I would like to try :MSM, silver, medicinal mushrooms

Comment

So I know it's been a while since anyone posted anything on this thread but I'm curious to know how you're all doing. I'm doing the anti-candida diet as well as the IC diet since that is the only way I have found any relief after 3 months of misery and a doctor who won't prescribe pain medication (basically he'll only give me steroids, antibiotics and gelnique). I know I have a yeast problem since the back of my tongue is white, I have symptoms of yeast infections and insane sugar cravings. I'm hoping to hear that all of you were successful and that there is a light at the end of this very long, dark tunnel.

Comment

Hi Raelynnw,

I too have a candida issue. I have the following history as far as yeast/candida goes:
                            - years of antibiotics,
                            -always moderately itchy in my crotch area,
                            -Thrush: I have 3 kids, and with my first 2 we all had THRUSH (a form of candida infection on the breast of a nursing mother or on the baby's tongue)...usually babies give thrush to the breast-feeding mother because they spit up a lot and the candida comes up from their gut, and onto the mother's nipple. The only problem for me was my babies NEVER EVER spit up. It's strange but I'd never bring a burp rag along with me...they rarely spit up. So it was very strange that I got thrush with my first two babies. When I was nursing my 3rd, I noticed the signs of thrush right away so I freaking popped 8 probiotics a day, and I even would open a capusle and sprinkle some of the powder on my nipple before and after nursing, and I was able to kick it. But the entire time I felt like I was barely kicking the thrush.
                            -I do crave sugars, but ever since I went on my crazy grain-free, animal product-free, low oxalate, IC diet, sugar has naturally been out of my life.

So, I'm currently cutting out all fruit to try and kick my Yeast and have 0 sugar.

Finally, I'm not sure if FeatherBullet is still checking this forum, but I thought I may ask her--or anyone really who may know-- Do you recommend doing a detox of heavy metals BEFORE, DURING, or AFTER trying a candida cleanse? I have heard that it is best before. Not sure. I would like to hit it hard the first time and get it right. But who wouldn't

Thanks everyone! We can beat this IC! I know it! STAY POSITIVE EVERYONE!

Going for remission here,
                            MP
                            Diagnosed with IC since 2008. What I'm doing: 1. Reduce Stress (Sleep...10:30 bedtime MAX 2. Diet: Free of Grains, gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, some nightshades, and I avoid foods on IC list when possible, although IC-list foods don't bother me as much as these other things do. 3. What do I eat? At first the garbanzo bean pattie was my staple (http://tinyurl.com/bddoas4, look for my post). Now I'm on the Auto Immune Profile diet/AIP (Google 'Paleo mom AIP' for more info). 4. IC THESIS: IC is for me and many of us, a systemic issue. I'm looking into Hormone probs, Food intolerances, Leaky Gut, Candida, and oxalate issues. 5. Chronicle of my journey: Read about my ongoing learning here: http://www.weallseeic.blogspot.com I kiss my family every day. Stay positive everyone. I know we can beat this! IMPORTANT UPDATE ABOUT MY USER NAME: I had to redo my registration/username because I messed something up on my original registration (Something to do with my signature? HTML codes? Blah blah blah. Donna and I tried to figure it out, but alas, we decided the best thing I should do is just get a new userid. My new user ID is minharopaola+

Comment

How long do you do the candida diet? I'm having a test done next week, and if I test positive for yeast, I'll need to be doing both diets at the same time, but to be honest, the thought of that really overwhelms me. I find the IC diet restrictive enough as it is. I can't imagine taking sugar out to, and I feel for those who live with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X