No soy milk? Huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No soy milk? Huh?

I was just reading the IC diet PDF (http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf) and saw that soy milk was on the "caution" list. I'm surprised. Do we know why this is?

I know this sounds silly, but I'm mourning my daily soy chai latte I have literally had one every single day for the past few years. I get my caffeine fix and I really enjoy it and find it comforting. I am lactose intolerant so my drink was always made with soy. Today is my first day without it. I'm going to give it a week or two to see if it was causing me additional discomfort.

Any time I eat cereal I also use soy milk. Should I switch to the lactose free milk instead?

Oh boy....no wonder my bladder isn't happy
    Diagnosed with IC in 2004 at the age of 19
    12 weeks of instillations (don't remember what)
    Remission from late 2005 until August 2011.
    Married in 2005 - Our son was born in 2008!

IC acting back up after a severe UTI in June followed by another mild UTI in August.

Current Treatment
    ~IC diet - not strict, but avoiding most things including my beloved soy chai lattes. Drinking only water and blueberry juice. No tomatoes or anything spicey.
    ~1/2-1mg Ativan per day - has been the only thing to help! Praying that my doctor will let me continue with it
    ~25mg Doxipen
    ~Azo as needed (don't really notice a difference)

IC symptoms get progressively worse throughout the day. Sleep and constant distraction are my only refuge!

I hope you're at least using low acid coffee --- regular coffee means a flare for most ICers. You might also try rice milk or almond milk. If you can tolerate lactose free milk, that may be your best choice.

Good luck!
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks Donna....chai is actually a type of black tea Also a no-no, so today is my 2nd day without it (or any caffeine at all for that matter!)

I just wonder what it is about soy that would irritate the bladder? It seems like a standard veggie, you know? I also love eating edamame (soy beans) so I'm bummed.
      Diagnosed with IC in 2004 at the age of 19
      12 weeks of instillations (don't remember what)
      Remission from late 2005 until August 2011.
      Married in 2005 - Our son was born in 2008!

IC acting back up after a severe UTI in June followed by another mild UTI in August.

Current Treatment
      ~IC diet - not strict, but avoiding most things including my beloved soy chai lattes. Drinking only water and blueberry juice. No tomatoes or anything spicey.
      ~1/2-1mg Ativan per day - has been the only thing to help! Praying that my doctor will let me continue with it
      ~25mg Doxipen
      ~Azo as needed (don't really notice a difference)

IC symptoms get progressively worse throughout the day. Sleep and constant distraction are my only refuge!

Comment

Originally posted by heybrej View Post
        Thanks Donna....chai is actually a type of black tea Also a no-no, so today is my 2nd day without it (or any caffeine at all for that matter!)

I just wonder what it is about soy that would irritate the bladder? It seems like a standard veggie, you know? I also love eating edamame (soy beans) so I'm bummed.
        There are a lot of theories why soy is a problem. One is that foods that contain soy are many times fermented, and the by-products of fermentation can be problematic for those with IC.

The other theory is that because soy contains phyto-estrogens, it can mess with your hormones in a way that can worsen your IC.

I would recommend trying an alternate milk to see if stopping the soy might help you out. I make iced coffee at home with low-acid, decaf coffee and plain or vanilla rice milk. For chai, you might find a tea substitute that has some spice to it but doesn't have black tea. There are some brands of herbal teas from Pukka that might fit the bill. One is their after dinner tea which has fennel, chicory and cardamom. (Cardamom's not on the IC diet list, so I sort of had to experiment with that one.) I've been able to drink it with no issues. They also make a vanilla chai that contains no tea, but does have cinnamon bark, ginger root, licorice root, cardamom, fennel, and vanilla pod.

I have learned that there is almost always a work-around when something you love is a no-no. You may find that giving up the daily chai could help you feel better.
        Last edited by wagamama; 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM. Reason: Added content
        Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
        Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
        Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Oops! Didn't see the "chai" --- if you're drinking tea, that could be more of a problem than the soy milk.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Whoo, chai is NOT something I can tolerate. Black tea combined with black pepper? It's delicious but it's a nightmare on my bladder. I think that's probably more of an issue than the soy.

Soymilk doesn't seem to bother me; I still drink it if I'm at a Starbucks with friends and want something hot. (Hazelnut steamers, yum.) But for my daily beverage I have switched to almond milk on doctor's orders.
            Medications and Supplements:
            BladderQ
            Pyridium
            D-Mannose powder
            Cranmax

Lifestyle:
            Lacto-ovo-vegetarian and IC diet
            Meditation
            Positive mental attitude!

Comment

Not sure we know exactly why, but it definitely bothers most IC patients. I was in denial about soy for a long time, but then I took a chance and removed it from my diet. BIG difference.

Have you tried almond milk as an alternative?
              Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
              IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
              IC Diet Website
              For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
              Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
              Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
              IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

aaaahhh no soy chaiiiiiiiiii?? i LOVE soy chais. shoot. k, so i thought i read somewhere that vanilla frappuccinos were okay. i always thought those were bad for you though. blah. i guess that have sugar-free ones though yeah? can anybody vouch for the frapps or have any other suggestions?
                lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
                pyridium

ditropan
                buspirone

?(new medications)
                chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

I had the worst flare with black tea, but soy is actually fine for me. See if you're actually doing poorly with soy, because IC is strange in that we're all different and don't necessarily react the same.

And yes, there are so many other milks: rice, almond, hemp, hazelnut, coconut. I've really liked almond the most.

Comment

Originally posted by h808 View Post
                    aaaahhh no soy chaiiiiiiiiii?? i LOVE soy chais. shoot. k, so i thought i read somewhere that vanilla frappuccinos were okay. i always thought those were bad for you though. blah. i guess that have sugar-free ones though yeah? can anybody vouch for the frapps or have any other suggestions?
                    Careful with sugar-free... U are better off making your own with honey than ingesting artificial sugars which can cause some major flare ups for some...
                    Hi there. I'm new here. Still getting the hang of this IC stuff, only 4 months in ... nice to meet you all. Mary

Comment

Originally posted by heybrej View Post
                      I was just reading the IC diet PDF (http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf) and saw that soy milk was on the "caution" list. I'm surprised. Do we know why this is?

I know this sounds silly, but I'm mourning my daily soy chai latte I have literally had one every single day for the past few years. I get my caffeine fix and I really enjoy it and find it comforting. I am lactose intolerant so my drink was always made with soy. Today is my first day without it. I'm going to give it a week or two to see if it was causing me additional discomfort.

Any time I eat cereal I also use soy milk. Should I switch to the lactose free milk instead?

Oh boy....no wonder my bladder isn't happy
                      Careful with lactose free milk as its still cow's milk... Some people are still sensitive to it for that reason. Almond milk is your best bet... Try options of making ur drink at home... And i think you'll feel better off the caffeine as that is an irritant for most. Play around with low acid coffee and almond milk! Youll find an alternative
                      Hi there. I'm new here. Still getting the hang of this IC stuff, only 4 months in ... nice to meet you all. Mary

Comment

Are you lactose intolerant? That would be the only reason I see to drink the lactose-free milk. Although some people with bowel problems might want to try to see if they feel better off of dairy, eliminating dairy isn't necessary on an IC diet. If anything you might want to try organic milk or ask if your grocery store stocks hormone/antibiotic free milk.

Good luck! Once you start feeling better you won't miss the ouchy foods as much! You will just be glad to feel better!
                        Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                        IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                        IC Diet Website
                        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                        Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                        Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

I used to drink soy milk also. Loved it! I have switched to almond milk now and love it just as much. i also drink rice milk. My favorite is to mix almond milk, rice milk, stevia, & a Tbsp of carob powder in my blender. Blend it up and enjoy. Just like chocolate milk. I will also take some vanilla frozen yogurt, rice milk, & carob chips, blend it and IT IS JUST LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM!! Yum! You also might try Teeccino products, I believe that they have a chai latte & all of their products contain no tea or coffee. Some ICers do flare with Teeccino & some do not so experiment with caution, I seem to do ok with one cup but, it does give me urgency if I drink more than that. I haven't quite figured out which ingredient does not agree with me. Hope you find your fix that works for you![/U][/U]
                          Diagnosed: November 2011 Current treatments: Elmiron 100mg 3xday; Azo as needed, Prelief as needed, IC diet, ICN support, my faith.

Comment

cool, thanks christina!
                            lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
                            pyridium

ditropan
                            buspirone

?(new medications)
                            chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

Have you tried Pero, Inka, Cafix or any of the caffiene free barely drinks that mimic the flavor of coffee. I love that stuff! I don't miss coffee that much anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X