Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReneeWest
    replied
    On mornings when i work (and would normally have coffee) I can take an Excedrin Migraine. It has caffeine, aspirin, and acetaminophen. Since my job is physical, it helps with the joint pain I have, and also gives me the kick of caffeine I'm missing.
    It is also a great med for migraine, but only if you take it early in the headache cycle.
    Tyler's coffee is good... not great. But it's the best substitute I've tried. I get the caffeinated type, as caffeine doesn't bother my bladder, if I don't use it everyday.
    Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    I never heard of Axert Pammylynn8! I am going to ask about it! Thanks for sharing. And I thought I tried them all!

I went out today to buy the Kava coffee and will try tomorrow. I felt better just thinking about it!

Don't know what I'd do without this site!

Leave a comment:

• Pammylynn8
    replied
    Originally posted by Toto View Post
    Phoenixgirl...thanks for mentioning the tea. I'm definitely interested in trying it.

Thanks Donna! I will check out the Kava and give it a try. In fact, I think I've seen it in my travels but never thought of what it was until now.

Mothergoose, thanks for the support and suggestions! I've actually tried most migraine meds on the market over the last 20+ years. I take Frova currently (tried most of the triptans and I go back and forth with them). Just a triptan doesn't do the trick and usually I have to take Naproxen also, plus the caffeine. The problem is I get migraines very frequently and sometimes my period will set them off for a week or more. And there's a limit on the triptans, as I'm sure you know. I also take a preventative called Verapamil and am in my third month of Botox shots. The botox is pretty good for the first couple months but wears off as it is doing now. In two weeks I will get the shot again and hope to find relief. SUCH a pain! And what's a nuisance is that my IC is often triggered when a migraine hits. I need a NEW body!

Thanks for listening.
    I forgot to mention that I am having good luck with the triptan medicine Axert for my bad headaches. Causes no flaires. I know you said you tried them, but wanted to mention that
    And I do understand about the rebound effect with migraines. Once ina long while mine last for 3 days on and off.

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied
    I too found the botox worked well, but wear off by the 3 mons, I got it every 3 mons for a couple of years.

Eventually with some treatments for ic symptoms, my headaches improved.

I never did get them with periods.

Goodluck MG

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    Phoenixgirl...thanks for mentioning the tea. I'm definitely interested in trying it.

Thanks Donna! I will check out the Kava and give it a try. In fact, I think I've seen it in my travels but never thought of what it was until now.

Mothergoose, thanks for the support and suggestions! I've actually tried most migraine meds on the market over the last 20+ years. I take Frova currently (tried most of the triptans and I go back and forth with them). Just a triptan doesn't do the trick and usually I have to take Naproxen also, plus the caffeine. The problem is I get migraines very frequently and sometimes my period will set them off for a week or more. And there's a limit on the triptans, as I'm sure you know. I also take a preventative called Verapamil and am in my third month of Botox shots. The botox is pretty good for the first couple months but wears off as it is doing now. In two weeks I will get the shot again and hope to find relief. SUCH a pain! And what's a nuisance is that my IC is often triggered when a migraine hits. I need a NEW body!

Thanks for listening.

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied
    I like my coffee too, so I looked into it a bit, espresso has lower acid then reg.

Through trail and error I figured out my bladder dosen't like arabic coffee, I find Columbian easier on my bladder.

So when I need a coffee fix I will have a latte 16 oz size, with a single shot of coffee, these usally come with a double shot, so it is basicly coffee flavored milk.

On another point if you all get migraines why don't you ask your Dr's for a rx for migraines, I take zomig, I get the pills you swallow, not the dissolve under the tounge they have aspertaine in them.

This is not a pain medication, it does the same thing as caffine does, constricts or dialtes the blood vessles in your brain. It dose not bother my IC, no loopy feeling etc. I take 1-2 tabs at the first sign of a migraine, it ussally helps a great deal with the headache. The med is expensive but I usally only need to take one pill at a time, often only the one time in the day.

There are other migraine meds but this is the only one I have tried.

MG

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    My coffee does have caffeine --- but very little acid and acid seems to be my problem.

There's also a low acid coffee that's available in many (if not most) grocery stores. Kava is located with the other instant coffee. I have some on hand but prefer my brewed coffee.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• phoenixgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Toto View Post
    I wish there was another energy replacement.(
    Hi Toto, I don't want to recommend anything that might make you flare, but a friend of mine told me about some yerba mate tea called Guayaki. You can get it at Walgreen's and many other groceries, as well as online. I've read a bunch of testimonials from other IC-ers who say they can tolerate it and feel it's a great substitute for coffee as well as a source of nutrients. I've only just had a tiny taste so far (the mint flavor was really good!) because I've been flaring a lot lately and don't feel I'm ready to start testing many new foods yet. Just thought I'd mention it though since that immediately came to mind when reading your post.
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 09-21-2011, 03:54 AM. Reason: Removed advertising.

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    I will, thanks.

Donna, does your coffee contain caffeine like a normal cup of coffee?

Leave a comment:

• Pammylynn8
    replied
    good luck, let me know if it works!!

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    Thank you. It wouldn't hurt to have them for desperate times!

Leave a comment:

• Pammylynn8
    replied
    The name if the caffeine pill is Stay Alert (by RiteAid). We got a generic form.
    Remember it doesn't bother me but it may bother you. Make sure you take only half the first time.

Leave a comment:

• Toto
    replied
    Ok...so let me see if I understand. The LOW acid, and the other coffee mentioned, still contain caffeine? Seems like a dream and I want to try them! And I've never heard of an over the counter caffeine pill. Pammylynne...can you let me know the name if you get the chance.

For some reason I thought caffeine itself hurt the bladder. I'd LOVE to be wrong.

Irfran...I LOVE that coffee smell too. I love it more now that I don't drink coffee. There's just nothing like it!
    Last edited by Toto; 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• irfran
    replied
    Greeneyes, thanks for the tip. I think I'll order some.

Leave a comment:

• greeneyes
    replied
    I still have my morning coffee thanks to Euro mild, I order it from the IC shop and it's a great coffee.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X