Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

foods with latex (allergy) related to bladder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• momto3
    replied
    I took my DD13 for allergy testing today. She gets bumps on her lips when she eats certain fruits- apples, peaches, pears, etc.

She has oral allergy syndrome. Basically her body is reacting to the proteins in the fruits in the same way that it reacts to the pollen she is allergic to. I'm sure I'm not explaining that correctly but you can look it up.

Anyways, this is the correlation between allergies and foods:

Here are foods that may have proteins that cross-react with pollen proteins:

Ragweed Allergy: “Ragweed, in theory, cross-reacts with bananas and melons, so people with ragweed allergies may react to honeydew, cantaloupe, and watermelons, or tomatoes,” says Warren V. Filley MD, from the Oklahoma Allergy & Asthma Clinic in Oklahoma City.

Zucchini, sunflower seeds, dandelions, chamomile tea, and echinacea also go on that list, notes the AAAAI's web site.

Birch Pollen Allergy: People with birch pollen allergies may react to kiwi, apples, pears, peaches, kiwi, plums, coriander, fennel, parsley, celery, cherries, carrots, hazelnuts, and almonds.

Grass Allergy: People with grass allergy may react to "peaches, celery, tomatoes, melons, and oranges," the AAAAI states.

Latex Rubber Allergy: Like pollen allergy, people allergic to latex rubber may react to "bananas, avocados, kiwi, chestnut, and papaya," the AAAAI states.

She can have some of these either cooked or canned. I knew she had environmental allergies and also suspected food allergies. But I had no idea that the two would be related. She was also diagnosed with mild asthma. I feel sorry for her.

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied
    I actually don't know what it was called, the results did turn out to be true for my son.

I was told the normal allergie scratch tests, put a bit of the offending product on your skin that has been broken, I was told this test looks for antibodies your body has made agaist the offending items.

MG

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    was it alcat?

This test is expensive. Some people swear by it and others swear at it!

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied
    Purpleviolet:

Just a question, I took my son to a naturalpath for some digestive problems he was having. After examining him she suggested she do an extensive allergy test on him. It is not like allergy tests mainstream Dr.'s do.

She took a couple of vials of blood and sent them offto some lab, who tested his blood for multiple foods and things he daily came in contact, I paid extra to have him tested for spices, as I have a lot of allergies to spices.

This test was expensive, over $400 dollars, while waiting for the results to comes back she put him on some suplements. 3 weeks later she called with avery specific list of foods he is allergic too. She then faxed meall the results, it shows everything he was tested for and a scale of how much he is allergic to it.

This helpped him a lot, we had tried elimination diets, off no lactose, no gluten etc.

Theys did not help him at all, it turned out theses were not problem foods for him.

Just thought thistesting might interest you, it may make it easier to figure out your problem foods.

MG

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    A one inch piece of banana cut into tiny thin slices and eaten on an IC friendly cereal gave me a horrid 3 day flare... I never connected it with the latex allergy, but figured it was the potassium. Don't know why they bother me, but I won't be trying another one any time soon!

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    Kadi - Do you find other latex containing foods bad for your bladder? - there is quite a long list with bananas and avocados being on top of the list. I never made a direct association with those foods and flares so I'm not sure that I am sensitive to latex but I will test it once I get to a stable place.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    I discovered the latex-food connection when I began to have a rash and an IC flare every time I ate avocado. I mentioned it to my physical therapist and she wasn't surprised since I got a lot of burning from latex catheters and had to change to non-latex ones. She also said papaya is related to latex as well as avocado... Who knew? It was such an innocent looking little food!

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    started a topic foods with latex (allergy) related to bladder!

foods with latex (allergy) related to bladder!

Don't know where to put this but I started on my naturopaths elimination diet which really is not an IC diet, but I wanted to see if my joints started to feel any better. The diet eliminates gluten and gradually eliminates fish, meat, nuts and fruit to just vegetables and a anti-inflammatory protein powder basically. So along the way I was getting really stuffy ears and some scratchy throat ( I haven't got the point where I add anything back in to test). I had been eating fruit like apples, bananas and avocados and then I would get these symptoms (Soon after starting the diet which has no dairy, red meat or gluten). I went to the naturopath and she mentioned there is such a thing as allergy to latex-like proteins in foods and that it can be in the gut not just on the skin (like a reaction to band-aids). So I started to research this and a lot of fruit and some vegetables are on the list including the ones I was eating. Well on this website it said that some people with these allergies have unregular urinary tracts! Don't know what this means.
    Has anyone pinpointed sensativities to foods that have latex like proteins? I think this allergy is not too well known. Check out this site for info.
    http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/latex-allergies
    I'll be testing these foods later again on me.
Working...
X