Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxalic acid in foods a possible irritant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    MaryS
    ICN Member

• MaryS
    replied
    PurpleViolet,
    I was following the IC Diet strictly and found that foods that were ic friendly bothered me. Plain air popped popcorn,peppers, potatoes,corn, spinach,eggplant and other items. When I eliminated these items the burning went away. I researched and found these had I believe moderate/high levels of oxalates.I also found lists of foods that contain histamine and these foods also irritated me. I think there is alot of things that cause bladder burning besides the things on the ic diet. I think this is an individual thing. What bothers some people has no effect on others. I also read somewhere that meats and eggs are acidic and i have problems with eggs and red meats. Also, if i eat too much chicken I get bladder burning. This is all so confusing because the more you read the more complicated it gets but I found that all of this applies to me. I also read about eating to much protein can cause irritation to the bladder. So for me i eat foods that are low in oxalates and i avoid eggs and eat smaller portions of meat/chicken. All of this has helped me. But everthing fell into place for me when I read about meat being acidic. Because I was eating only plain chicken, peas and squash and my bladder was burning and I though how can this be when these are IC friendly. I find if I eat to much bread I am bothered as well.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    ICN Member

• purpleviolet
    started a topic Oxalic acid in foods a possible irritant?

Oxalic acid in foods a possible irritant?

I've been on an elimation diet, but the wrong one for IC even though everything I've been eating is bland - like sweet potatoes and quinoa (non-gluten grainlike)and an alkaline vegetable broth. I have never felt worse just about IC wise. So I researched these foods and came up with high oxalic acid. Now I thought it was just an irritant for vulvodynia which I don't have, but I found one IC'er on this forum (alwaysgreen) who mentions it. I am going to try to eliminate it from my diet. Has anyone else found oxalic acid is bad for IC? It is in a lot of foods. Some conflicting lists are on the internet, too. I found this link which says it can make urine burn! (Actually my urine does not burn, but when I am in a flare my bladder and urethra just hurt). This link also says to counteract oxalic acid calcium citrate must be apart from vit d.
    ICNDonna
    ICN Staff
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM. Reason: Removed sales site.
Working...
X