Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Citrus? Other ways to get your vitamin C!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Citrus? Other ways to get your vitamin C!

One of the most common concerns that I hear from my IC patients is how can they consume a balanced diet with IC and the limited, bladder friendly fruit selection. The answer is simple! Many other bladder friendly fruits and vegetables are full of the vitamin and similar antioxidants that one might find in orange juice or berries.

Actually, you can get a lot of vitamin C from foods that are not citrus. Check out this list (all Vitamin C amounts are for 100 g. servings):
    Red bell peppers (nearly 200 mg!)
    Parsley (130 mg)
    Broccoli (90 mg)
    Green bell peppers (80 mg)
    Brussels sprouts (80 mg)
    Kale (41 mg)
    Cauliflower (40 mg)
    Raspberries - if tolerated (30 mg)
    Spinach (30 mg)
    Cabbage, raw (30 mg)
    Butternut (winter) squash (21 mg)
    Spaghetti squash (20 mg)
    Potato (20 mg, but you usually eat more than 100 g of potato)
    Zucchini (19 mg)
    Yellow (summer) squash (17 mg)
    Blueberries (10 mg)
    Banana - if tolerated (9 mg)

Some IC patients can also take an alkalized Vitamin C supplement or a sustained release formula which keeps the excess Vitamin C from spilling into the bladder all at once, which is what causes the pain.

One way or another, with just a little planning, you should be able to get plenty of C in your diet!

From: Interstitial Cystitis Diet Blog: http://interstitial-cystitis-diet.bl...o-problem.html
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Thanks, good post!

Comment

Thanks JUlie!

Comment

You are quite welcome!
        Julie Beyer, MA, RDN

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
        IC Diet Website
        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

What are your feelings about Ester C? I know there is non-acidic but how much should you try to see if you react? I just found out that I am low in vitamin c.

Comment

Hi there,

I would definitely try to increase vitamin C by the bladder safe foods that I listed. You can try Ester C, but it seems to be 50-50 whether people react to it or not. That is one of the things I couldn't take, but some people can. :-)

It doesn't take much to get 200 to 300 mg of vitamin C by way of foods.
            Julie Beyer, MA, RDN

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
            IC Diet Website
            IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Low C side effects

There are so many things that get worse when your vitamin C intake is low, I can't remember them all, but I'll list a few.

Constipation is made much worse without C.

Wound healing is worse on this low c diet. I keep rediscovering this fact at the dentist. I had a tooth pulled once, and it just would not heal right, 2 weeks later and the socket wasn't even thinking about closing up! It occurred to me to try Ester C and it was like a miracle, it started an accelerated healing within hours of taking it. Recently, again, I had a root canal/crown that was giving me persistent problems and I thought, you idiot, get the Ester C!!

There were more stories like this but I forget.

I'm lucky I can take Ester C, one look at the label of ingredients and I was afraid to even try. Finally I did and I can take it, yay!

It's also important to have C when taking glucosamine, to help it assimilate.

Comment

What about emergen-c and other vitamin c tablets? I'm coming down with my first cold since getting IC and would like to boost my immune system but an terrified of having a flare due to whatever i take. Any suggestions for curing a cold while having IC?

Comment

I have a brutal cold right now, unfortunatley. But for me I can take oregano oil and it can help lessen the severity of the cold. I can also eat garlic cloves or chop them up and put them in water and drink it. For me, I cannot take any cold meds at all, as my bladder does not tolerate them, so its riding it out old style for me... UGH. haha. I blow my nose constantly, .. and I mean like every 5 min, even if it doesnt feel like I need too... that way the more infection you get out, the less time it has to stay in there and inflame your sinuses further, (or your lungs for that matter by dripping down your throat and swallowed).... I have also been drinking alot of tea and honey. Clearly according to Julies post I need to get a bag of red bell peppers and eat them haha...thanks for that post I was also curious on how to get enough vitamine C .. I have never tried Ester C.. so there IS a possibility that I could be one of those that can tolerate it, but its fear of somehow making myself worse that keeps me away from it. Better safe then sorry

Jenn
                  28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Vegetables is always a good way.
                    Started with symptoms 2004 after a severe infection.
                    Was diagnosed with IC Feb 2006 after cystoscopy.
                    Diagnosed with vulvodyina and PN in july 2006.
                    Dignosed with ME and IBS Oct 2006.
                    Currently taking Amytriptaline 50mg, regular pain killers and birth control!
                    Also doing IC diet and regular use of heat packs.
                    Still struggling with IC and controling my symptoms so looking for some help

also recently had abnormal pap, CIN III and just had LEEP done 2007

Comment

very happy to see raspberries on the list! very helpful

Comment

thank you so much for posting this, I was really concerned about this myself but I eat tons of kale, blueberries, and a banana once a week is all I can handle, but I'm glad there is some vitamin C coming in.

Comment

Re: No Citrus? Other ways to get your vitamin C!

Great list! This has been a problem for me for 21 years. I noticed it first in college, shortly after diagnosis, when I started suddenly wanting everyone's parsley (?!?!) at late night diners after nights out (with no drinking for me!). It progressed to me ordering my own side dishes of the stuff....thankfully, I moved on and discovered some more foods and also lost my sensitivity to a lot of the foods on the IC diet I initially had to follow.

I just wanted to add one food! Mangos! I forget the exact amount of C, but it's in there, and one thing I crave when I get too low on C. I also read that kiwi fruit is rather high in C, not sure how well I tolerated them (mainly my family ate them all before I got a chance....). But between mangos and kale, I seem to manage. Occasional boosts by "Naked" brand's "Green Machine" or "Green Booster" (I think they changed the name) help, as well. Daily consumption would kill me, but once a month or so, I find it doesn't do me too much damage in non flare stretches.
                          DX IC (cystoscopy) 7/93
                          Meds did little-nothing, but Paxil (98) calmed it down. (No longer on an SSRI; hate meds)
                          IC went to "barely noticeable" status for years. (I put it on 'ignore')
                          MAJOR flare 7/13 along with 2 injuries, especially the first, labral tear, right hip.
                          Unable to urinate hardly at all with undiagnosed muscle tears (10) & labral tear Fall/Winter 13/14.
                          Surgery successful for muscle and hip repair, 4/14. Researching the connection between hip injuries and pelvic/bladder painhttp://www.hss.edu/hip-pain-center-f...-questions.asp as well as muscle tears: http://vincerainstitute.com/core-inj...sports-hernia/ (just some helpful links)

Comment

Yes, mangos! We rarely get good mangos here in Michigan, but when I travel....yum!
                            Julie Beyer, MA, RDN

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                            IC Diet Website
                            IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Oh, look harder! They can get pricey, but I find that I can usually get my hands on them in the Midwest, especially at Indian grocery stores. But usually my usual supermarket has at least SOME. They really satisfy that C issue!
                              DX IC (cystoscopy) 7/93
                              Meds did little-nothing, but Paxil (98) calmed it down. (No longer on an SSRI; hate meds)
                              IC went to "barely noticeable" status for years. (I put it on 'ignore')
                              MAJOR flare 7/13 along with 2 injuries, especially the first, labral tear, right hip.
                              Unable to urinate hardly at all with undiagnosed muscle tears (10) & labral tear Fall/Winter 13/14.
                              Surgery successful for muscle and hip repair, 4/14. Researching the connection between hip injuries and pelvic/bladder painhttp://www.hss.edu/hip-pain-center-f...-questions.asp as well as muscle tears: http://vincerainstitute.com/core-inj...sports-hernia/ (just some helpful links)

Comment

Working...
                              X