Dying for a SALAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying for a SALAD!

I am and always have been a HUGE salad eater...love my Ranch, Honey Mustard and Vinegarettes...Now vinegar is a trigger for my newly Dx IC.... How can I find some good (IC Safe) salad dressing recipes?? Last night I made an olive oil and mustard powder dressing but it wasnt that good...I am just craving a nice big salad! And by the way, when I went on Vacation back in May I was able to eat restaurant Ranch dressing and it didnt bother my bladder so I dont understand what is going on there....

Re: Dying for a SALAD!

Since you like Ranch, you might try putting some cottage cheese into a blender, then adding favorite herbs for flavoring. If you can tolerate sour cream (it's on the "Foods worth trying" list), you could add some of that. I haven't looked at the package of ranch dressing mix, but that might be worth looking at --- if it doesn't have any bladder irritants, that could be added to some cottage cheese.

Can you contact the restaurant to find out what brand they use?

Also, I know of several ICers who put ranch dressing in a side dish, then dip their fork into it, then dip into the salad for a bite --- which gives the flavor.

I sometimes just put some coarse grind salt on a salad.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by LaraLea View Post
      I am and always have been a HUGE salad eater...love my Ranch, Honey Mustard and Vinegarettes...Now vinegar is a trigger for my newly Dx IC.... How can I find some good (IC Safe) salad dressing recipes?? Last night I made an olive oil and mustard powder dressing but it wasnt that good...I am just craving a nice big salad! And by the way, when I went on Vacation back in May I was able to eat restaurant Ranch dressing and it didnt bother my bladder so I dont understand what is going on there....
      I used to love salads as well. I'm not gonna lie...no matter what you try, it's never quite the same as real salad dressing. The IC diet has an absence of "tang" for lack of a better word. But Donna is right. Cottage cheese is a good base for a salad dressing. I mix mine with pureed blueberries or homemade pear jam. You can also use cream cheese (if tolerated) instead of cottage cheese. I find pears and blueberries mixed with the base I'm using give me some semblance of that tang or acidity. If you like olive oil, one of the ones that is infused with herbs might be good. It took me a while but I've begun to adjust. But I definitely don't eat salads as regularly as I used to.

I have a copy of the IC CHEF Cookbook (available on this site) and they have a few good dressing recipes. My favorite is creamy dill dressing.

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
      Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

I was going to say, there are salad dressing recipes all over the forum if you do a search. I also have some in my Confident Choices Cookbook. In addition to the blended cottage cheese, you can try mixing blueberry or pear juice with olive oil and herbs, salt, and pepper if tolerated to create a wonderful homemade dressing. Blueberry, oil, basil, salt and pepper make a great dressing!
        Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
        IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
        IC Diet Website
        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
        Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
        Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

I make a chinese chicken salad dressing with sesame oil, fresh garlic, and some chicken broth. I leave out the soy sauce. I found that a small amount of lemon zest mixed with fresh garlic and olive oil (or roasted walnut oil, avocado oil, or another nut oil) is ok even though there is a small amount of lemon in it. Lemon grass can also be added for flavor if it's minced and I don't believe lemon grass is considered citrus. I think there's been a lot of postings over the years here about different kinds of salad dressings that have looked pretty good. You could do a search of some older posts that may help.

Comment

Some people can tolerate lemon juice, I have read it is acidic but turns basic once in your body, I decided to give it a try one day and I was and have continued to be fine with it.

I often use lemon juice, olive oil on salads, my restaurants will give you these's that you can put on your salad yourself.

Having said this I don't use a lot of any dressings I make, my salad us not smothered, I find I can have some IC no no foods but in limited amounts.

Another thing I do is add things to my salad that you may not normally add to salad, such as blueberries, pears, cheese, even mild ones gives your salad a different texture, nuts, seeds, hard boiled eggs, etc.

If you can tolerate a bit of yogurt you can use it as a base for your dressing, if I am flaring I don't use this.

I also change up the oils I use such as avacodo oil, expensive but a small amount goes a long way, coconut oil.

I don't use vinegars they will bother me.

As already posted there is lots of recipes, try combining different combos, I would try just a few ingiedence to begin with and expand on them.
            My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Working...
            X