Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imnsho

Pumpkin Pie can't hold a candle to Sweet Potato Pie. And what I like best about SPP is that it doesn't need all the traditional PP spices; it just needs to tastes like real sweet potatoes, so if the cinnamon etc is problematic for anyone, leaving it out still makes a great pie. Believe it or not I made a very interesting pie last year that was mostly sweet potato, but also included some parsnip! No one could have guessed, but it had a slightly more vegetal edge than straight sweet potato. Excellent with whipped cream.

In my experience the best sweet potato pie is made from roasting the potatoes rather than boiling them. I have never used a Paula Deen recipe for anything, but does her pie have a hamburger in it somewhere? Someday she's going to get too close to the oven and explode.

Comment

Thanksgiving

Originally posted by Goldfinch View Post
      Pumpkin Pie can't hold a candle to Sweet Potato Pie. And what I like best about SPP is that it doesn't need all the traditional PP spices; it just needs to tastes like real sweet potatoes, so if the cinnamon etc is problematic for anyone, leaving it out still makes a great pie. Believe it or not I made a very interesting pie last year that was mostly sweet potato, but also included some parsnip! No one could have guessed, but it had a slightly more vegetal edge than straight sweet potato. Excellent with whipped cream.

In my experience the best sweet potato pie is made from roasting the potatoes rather than boiling them. I have never used a Paula Deen recipe for anything, but does her pie have a hamburger in it somewhere? Someday she's going to get too close to the oven and explode.

Potato pie sounds good!
      Love the Paula Deem comment!

Comment

Love the alternative cranberry sauce idea by using blueberries! THANKS for the tip!

Comment

Re: Thanksgiving

Thanks for sharing. This year it may only be my mother, her new male friend and myself. But I found a great mushroom soup that will be the new gravy and i like the idea of mock cranberry sauce.

Comment

We are doing it very simple this year. I ordered an organic pre-cooked turkey that is herb rubbed. I'm making cornbread from scratch, stuffing from scratch, and we are roasting some veggies. I'm also making mashed sweet potatoes with a little butter and a pinch of mace. I'm picking up a small green bean casserole for them (I think it is vile), and a pumpkin pie too, and I will have sliced apples and caramel sauce (homemade). I was also thinking about making an apple slab pie (google smitten kitchen) and using a bit of mace.

or maybe I'll make a blueberry pie...dunno.
            ----------------------------------------------------
            My blog on IC, adoption, and academia: the garlic whisperer

Diagnosed Jan 2013. Currently taking:

200mg Elmiron morning and night
            25mg Elavil at night (no drowsiness or weight gain)
            culturelle in the morning
            SLIT drops for allergies (environmental) 3 drops/night under the tongue
            zyrtec 24 hour nightly (recommended by uro)
            Instillations 3x/week: Parson's Solution
            uribel and prelief as needed

Also took Desert Harvest Aloe (3 in the morning and 3 at night) for a year and had great luck.
            No longer need them, so I only take them during flares.

Comment

I love the ideas. I am wondering how others respond to the spices in pumpkin pie or apple crisp? Both are on the menu for the holiday but I am cautious. Christmas the family wants spiral ham so I will buy the ham but I will have to buy a turkey leg or something for myself. I am conflicted about whether to use the lemon juice in the apple crisp as many recipes call for and I have a ready made graham cracker crust to add my own pumpkin pie filling into. So does pumpkin pie filling have to be baked if made from scratch?
              I will be drinking aloe before any holiday meal and it does help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by puffyclouds View Post
                I love the ideas. I am wondering how others respond to the spices in pumpkin pie or apple crisp? Both are on the menu for the holiday but I am cautious. Christmas the family wants spiral ham so I will buy the ham but I will have to buy a turkey leg or something for myself. I am conflicted about whether to use the lemon juice in the apple crisp as many recipes call for and I have a ready made graham cracker crust to add my own pumpkin pie filling into. So does pumpkin pie filling have to be baked if made from scratch?
                I will be drinking aloe before any holiday meal and it does help!!!
                I don't use lemon juice in apple crisp. You should probably do a regular pie crust for pumpkin pie --- it does need to be baked since pumpkin pie calls for eggs in the filling. Graham cracker crust doesn't usually bake well. I'm usually okay with spiral ham if I don't eat much, but it's so salty I don't miss it a lot. I'll be doing a turkey.

Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thank you sooo much for just replying and replying quickly. I will buy the ham since that is what the others want. But I may just buy a turkey breast and whatever else I finally prepare. You know, the holiday is a week away already!!! I guess I will buy the ham tomorrow and then the other ingredients soon thereafter. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Comment

Im making a crustless pumpkin pie as I type. The pie smells sooo good too. I added sugar in the raw which will give it a molasses flavor. Yum! We are keeping it small, and this is the first year with new dietary limitations. I am gluten-free, low casein, low acid diet and now low carbs! So I am with my family and I will still enjoy turkey, mushroom soup for gravy, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, broccoli, peppers and cucumbers with hummus, shrimp and crustless pumpkin pie!

I will make apple crisp next week as a delayed holiday for my husband, as wll as a delayed stuffing. Please tell me your holiday plans especially if they are not conventional or have any special circumstances.
                    puffyclouds
                    ICN Member
                    Last edited by puffyclouds; 11-27-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I just took the pumpkin pie out of the oven. My second attempt at frest pumpkin pie. A tiny bump on one side but a nice even color and the pies smells like warm cinnamon! We are having homemade whippedtopping with dessert tomorrow. My brother likes Madagascar Vanilla. I hope a dab of fresh whipped topping with the pie is acceptable to my bladder. I planned on using aloe as a preventative but just didn't pick any up in time. So I will give it a try but only a very small amount.

Comment

Originally posted by bob04951 View Post
                        Yes you can get all natural canned cream of mushroom soup, but it is so easy to make. Just slice up mushrooms of your choice, sautee well in butter with just a little garlic and minced onion, maybe some thyme and/or parsley, add some flour or corn starch, add some stock (chick, veg or turk) and slowly add cream til thickened. Before you add the cream you can freeze in smaller portions for later use and add cream when ready to use. Doesn't taste like Campbells, but who wants all that sodium, MSG, soy, etc. Reading labels is scarey sometimes. Basically it is the same way you would prepare milk gravy, but with the shrooms. Enjoy!
                        Thank you for sharing! I usually eliminate onion and this gives me hope for a basic cream of mushroom soup!

Comment

The wild blueberry reduction with other berries mentioned in the older post here sounds delicious! What a nice alternative to cranberry sauce!

Comment

Working...
                          X