Office Christmas party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Christmas party

Felt pretty bad today at our office christmas lunch... the boss pre-ordered pizza and salads with dressing...I ate a buttered roll for lunch...Next year I'll eat lunch before I go. How are you all dealing with the holidays?

I usually bring my own food. My coworkers I'm close to know about my IC and understand. The coworkers I don't know, I tell them I have food allergies. The key to that kind of discussion is to be very confident, act like it's a boring topic and to immediately change the subject to the other person or something you have in common. "So, how long have you known so & so?" kind of thing. I actually had to practice with my best friend until I got confident with it. She pretended to get nosier & nosier until I got the hang of deflecting the attention. Best Christmas gift my best friend ever gave me
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I just started a job and they have a lot of lunch meetings where they bring stuff in. I just bring my own lunch with the explanation that I have a strict diet for medical reasons. Most people just shrug and get on with their own lunch.

For potlucks, I bring something I can eat. I find that I can be creative and bring stuff like white chocolate eggnog fudge (seriously, I'm still loving that) that people have never tried before.

My local IC support group had a potluck during our December meeting and I was so excited to go because it was the only potluck I had been to in a long time where I knew I could eat pretty much everything. It was awesome!
      Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
      Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
      Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Well, the last couple years, my boss has taken us to Ruby Tuesday's for Christmas lunch, and luckily I can just order a plain piece of meet and eat salad & potato or something like that. If they were going to order pizzas, I would ask for them to order me a small one without sauce. I know my boss wouldn't mind. We've done that at other work celebrations in the past. Luckily, I have a very close relationship with my boss and am able to tell him the honest truth about what I can and can't eat and why. I think that really helps. At potlucks, I just bring my own stuff. Pretty much everyone knows that I can't eat most things. People still ask and probe me about why though, which is annoying.
        ~Valery~
        Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
        Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

Comment

The frustrating part is that I've had IC for almost 5 years and my boss is aware of it. I guess some people just dont give a hoot about dietary restrictions of others. I didnt want to make a big fuss because the whole meal was pre ordered and when we all sat down they brought everything right out for us to eat. I was shocked my boss didint get a white pizza, I guess people are dense.

Comment

Yeah, I don't even expect anyone to get it anymore. I just bring my own food & try not to think about it too much... It bothers me, but I try to do something special for my own food that day or the next, so I won't feel totally deprived...
            Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
            I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
            Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
            -Pyridium if needed,
            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
            -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
            -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
            -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
            -Managing stress= VERY important!
            -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Kadi, I love your "one liner", that just cracked me up, thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Working...
              X