Need Christmas Brunch Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Christmas Brunch Ideas

I'm new to the IC Diet and am hosting Christmas brunch. I would like to have dishes that I can enjoy too, along with some for others, but I'm having trouble finding things I can have.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Roetta

39 yrs old

Officially diagnosed with IC April 2010.

Have had some relief from diet.
    Diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome in 2008.
    Episode of Guillain-Barre in 2006.

Meds:
    Plaquenil 200mg, 2x/day
    Evoxac 30 mg, 3x/day
    Genteal eye drops, 3x/day
    Flax Seed Oil 1000mg

I assume you're talking about a late morning combination of breakfast and lunch? If so, here are some suggestions:

--Scrambled eggs (IC safe)
    --Sausages and/or ham (read the labels)
    --Cinnamon rolls or blueberry muffins, or both
    --Fruit platter (include pears, apples, banana, blueberries, melon, kiwi fruit) -- you should be able to eat at least some of the fruits.
    -- choice of drinks (coffee, herbal and regular tea, hot chocolate) -- you can choose the herbal tea

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi,

Julie Beyer's cookbook has a very good spinach feta quiche that is good....yum, yum!

Jill
      "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

Oh that sounds sooooo good! I'll definitely try that!
        Roetta

39 yrs old

Meds:
        Plaquenil 200mg, 2x/day
        Evoxac 30 mg, 3x/day
        Flax Seed Oil 1000mg

Comment

For a good after brunch-ish dessert you can try date bars. I make these and they are really yummy! They don't bother me at all and great with breakfast...everyone is different though.

If you want, let me know and I can give you my recipe!

kate
          best, Kate

I am a generally happy 23 year old, newly diagnosed(Nov 2009), newly-wed living in Tampa.

I graduated from college in Boston in May. And since then have been trying to get my pain regime for this disease under control!

Medications currently taking:

Elmiron (2 in the morning 1 at night)
          Benadryl (1 in the morning and 1 at night)
          Vesicare (1 a day)
          Prosed as needed

I am constantly looking for alternatives to these medications to heal my body! I am open to suggestions (thinking about aloe, cystoprotek, accupuncture, etc) until then I am keeping my fingers crossed that elmiron works for me!!!

I started PT last week....this consists of electro stimulation through my ankle of my prudential nerve.

oh yeah I also practice yoga every day I can and am wishing I could work out like I used to!

I am lucky to have an extremely supportive husband and family

Thank you all for your help and support! It means more than I could ever say in words

"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard as it seems." -Led Zeppelin

Comment

Kate, yes please!! They sound wonderful. :woohoo::woohoo:
            Roetta

39 yrs old

Meds:
            Plaquenil 200mg, 2x/day
            Evoxac 30 mg, 3x/day
            Flax Seed Oil 1000mg

Comment

Okay!

Ingredients:
              for the filling
              1 1/2 (8 oz) chopped dates
              1/2 shredded sweetened coconut
              3/4 cup light cream
              1 tsp pure vanilla extract

granola base:
              2 cups quick oats (not instant)
              3/4 cups all purpose flour
              1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
              1 tsp. baking soda
              1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
              1/2 cup salted butter, melted

This makes 16 servings!

To prepare the filling: Heat dates, coconut and light cream in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until mixture boils and thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool.

To prepare the granola base: Combine oats, flour, sugar, soda and cinnamon in medium bowl. Mix well with wire whisk. Pour melted butter over dry ingredients and stir with large wooden spoon until thoroughly moistened.
              Press about 3 cups of the granola mixture into bottom of an 8-by-8 inch baking pan. Place in refrigerator about 30 minutes to harden. Preheat oven to 350.
              Spread the cooled date filling evenly over granola base. Sprinkle the remaining granola mixture (about 3/4 cup) over the date filling. Bake for 25-20 minutes or until the granola topping is slightly browned and crisp. Cool to room temperature before cutting into 2 inch squares.

These are yummy and easier than these long instructions seem! Haven't had any complaint yet!

enjoy! kate
              best, Kate

I am a generally happy 23 year old, newly diagnosed(Nov 2009), newly-wed living in Tampa.

I graduated from college in Boston in May. And since then have been trying to get my pain regime for this disease under control!

Medications currently taking:

Elmiron (2 in the morning 1 at night)
              Benadryl (1 in the morning and 1 at night)
              Vesicare (1 a day)
              Prosed as needed

I am constantly looking for alternatives to these medications to heal my body! I am open to suggestions (thinking about aloe, cystoprotek, accupuncture, etc) until then I am keeping my fingers crossed that elmiron works for me!!!

I started PT last week....this consists of electro stimulation through my ankle of my prudential nerve.

oh yeah I also practice yoga every day I can and am wishing I could work out like I used to!

I am lucky to have an extremely supportive husband and family

Thank you all for your help and support! It means more than I could ever say in words

"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard as it seems." -Led Zeppelin

Comment

Ooh! Thanks for sharing Kate. That sounds really good and they're even a bit healthy!

Jill
                "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

bookgirl, I have a great baked french toast dish & it doesn't bother my IC at all.

French Toast Casserole: 1 loaf of french bread
                  6 eggs
                  3 cups of milk
                  1/3 cup sugar (I omit this, it's good without it)
                  2 teaspoons vanilla extract
                  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 13x9" pan w/ Pam. Tear up bread into pieces & place in pan. Combine remaining ingredients & pour over bread.(I make sure all the bread is pushed done into the mixture) Bake for about 45 min. (uncovered) You can dust it with powdered sugar when it is done. I serve it with real maple syrup.

I usually prepare this the night before. If you do that, you might have to add 10 min. to the bake time. Just check it.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the recipes! They sound so good!!! I can't wait to try them.
                    Roetta

39 yrs old

Meds:
                    Plaquenil 200mg, 2x/day
                    Evoxac 30 mg, 3x/day
                    Flax Seed Oil 1000mg

Comment

Wow! What a great recipe Can't wait to try it! Thank you for posting it.
                      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                      Source - Pinterest
                      "

Current treatments:
                      -IC diet
                      -Elavil 50mg at night
                      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                      -Pyridium if needed,
                      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                      -Managing stress= VERY important!
                      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

KarenAnne, that's often called bread pudding. Great, no matter what you call it. Another somewhat richer version involves frying bread slices in butter before layering them in the casserole dish, then pouring over the custard mix. A little cinnamon doesn't hurt either!

Another thing you can do that's yummy is to add apple slices that have been sauteed briefly in butter w/or w/o a little sugar. That's apple bread pudding--sort of a Dutch Baby with toast. I just finished dinner, but I've managed to make myself hungry.

Comment

Hi there! I recently discovered a very easy and delicious breakfast bake recipe on the kraft foods website. It's very easy and super delicious. I made a few adjustments to the recipe and have substituted the meat ingredient for something else (it calls for ham). You can also omit the ham altogether and it would still be good. The recipe uses a can of refridgerated crescent rolls which I can tolerate, yet I'm not sure if everyone can. I used reduced fat ones along with reduced fat cheese (I used all cheddar). Here's the link to the recipe (I hope I can post that here):
                          http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...ke-112213.aspx

There are also some comments from others who have made it and they have lots of helpful hints and tips for this recipe.

Enjoy!
                          Jennifer
                          I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

These are some great recipes! I was obsessed with breakfast food while I was pregnant. Now my daughter is 2 months old and I'm still a bit obsessed! LOL WE're going to have Christmas morning at home for the first time this year, so I was just wondering what to have for us. Usually we go to my parents' house where my dad makes pancakes. It just doesn't seem right to eat my usual bowl of cereal on Christmas morning!
                            ~ Stacey

Comment

I make something similiar but put a couple of handfuls of Mr. Dells hash browns in it that I have thawed in the microwave. Mr. Dells only ingredient is potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X