Whey Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whey Protein?

Does anyone know a whey protein that is IC friendly that has worked for them? I have been looking around and can't find a good one. There has been mixed reviews about certain ones and would be nice to have a protein shake in the morning.
    Thanks

Re: Whey Protein?

Nope, sorry no protein shake is great for IC bladders. It has a high concentration of protein which in turn causes uric acid to bomb your bladder. I can't do them and I'm in body building. The best way to get your protein is in small amounts through foods, there is no alternative to protein shakes other than a regular milk smoothie. Which you will still get your protein from the milk just not concentrated. I can't even handle that, but I am very diet sensitive.
    If you want a more alkaline protein shake the pea proteins are the most alkaline. If you're using whey or meat based shakes they are quite acidic.
    A cucumber and celery juice with a touch of carrot juice is a great morning go to, and is anti inflammatory. :-)
    UTI 3/2015
    IC ,PFD
    prescribed meds: Endep 60mg, Elmiron 400mg, BC. Enablex 7.5mg.

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

Thank you for commenting and giving your experience with whey protein. Is there something that you would recommend to eat as protein source for breakfast? I don't really like eggs to much. I have been eating greek yogurt and getting sick it. Have you made a greek yogurt smoothie before?

Comment

Yes Greek yoghurt smoothies are yum.
        I would have said eggs as your next go to. Oatmeal, quinoa, chia puddings. Meat too. I have porridge with soaked chia seeds and no fat milk.
        If you don't like eggs would you consider putting one raw in a smoothie ? I'm not sure what the advice is where you are but they don't recommend eating raw eggs here. But I know a lot of people that do.
        Is there a reason you want a high protein breakfast ?
        UTI 3/2015
        IC ,PFD

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

IS there any recipes you know of that are use the greek yogurt, oatmeal, quinoa, chia puddings?
          I find that eating protein every meal gives me energy I need throughout the day. I don't know how I would feel about eating one raw in a smoothie may bother my stomach. I know some people say it is good for you.

Comment

Can you eat cottage cheese, or cream cheese. I too eat protien with every meal, I find too the energy is more steady and lasts longer. I often eat left over meat from the night before.
            My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese is a good idea from mothergoose.
              I also like to layer a jar ( the night before ) with quinoa, chia and Greek yoghurt. Add blueberries on top for sweetness if you can or honey in each layer. The chia and quinoa soak up the juice from the yoghurt and go soft. You can do the same with coconut milk.
              I love doing them with chocolate custard for my boys. Not for me obviously 🙄
              UTI 3/2015
              IC ,PFD

Comment

Another thought is chopped nuts on soaked oats. Yum
                UTI 3/2015
                IC ,PFD

Comment

I do like cream cheese. I do not like cottage cheese.

Comment

That sounds like a good idea layering the jar. I have seen those on pinterest and have not tried it yet. Is there a greek yogurt you found that is IC friendly for you?

Comment

Ok, there was bad information posted here about protein. I am a dietitian who works with IC patients both online and privately, and one of the best things for an IC patient is to get plenty of high quality protein in each day to aid in the healing process. That being said, whey protein is generally well tolerated by IC patients. I use a vanilla flavored protein powder. Love it!
                      Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                      IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                      IC Diet Website
                      For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                      Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                      Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                      IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Julie is right protein is important to get in to you but "plenty" of it wouldn't agree with me. A good way to check if you can tolerate it is to try it. Get some urine test strips and check how acidic your urine goes after a couple of hours of drinking a commercial protein shake with an average of 25grams of concentrated easily digested protein in it and see for yourself. Compare that to perhaps a meal or shake of minimal or no protein and see how alkaline your urine becomes. It was trial and error for me. As a body builder I wanted nothing more than to be able to drink those shakes. I now get mine in moderation spaced out with plenty of alkaline foods to help.
                        Some of us may not be sensitive to acid forming foods.
                        UTI 3/2015
                        IC ,PFD

Comment

Thank you Julie for commenting about the whey protein. Which vanilla whey protein do you use? There is so many out there and would love to know which one works for you. Thanks

Comment

If you have one that work for you please let me know.
                            What greek yogurt do you use as well?

Comment

I can drink whey vanilla protien, bottle says to use two scoops I use one.

I have to read labels and buy ones without soy, soy is a big trigger for me.

I also look fir one with the fewest ingredients.

I buy high fat Greek yogurt, 6 or 10 % fat, only plain, not flavored also with the least amount of ingredience.
                              My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X