• Show
Clear All

• best carrot soup ever

Great for fall!

Modified from Carrot Soup from the 1977 edition of Moosewood Cookbook
    *IC optional, use only if tolerated

1.5 to 2 pounds peeled or scrubbed, chopped carrots
    4 cups IC safe stock or water
    1 medium potato or sweet potato, chopped (optional, for heartier soup)

3-4 tablespoons butter (or canola or olive oil)
    1 cup chopped onion*
    1-2 small cloves crushed garlic*

1/3 cup pumpkin seed or almonds (or whichever nut you have on hand)*

Seasoning choices:*
    2 pinches of nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, dash of cinnamon
    1 tsp each of thyme, marjoram and basil
    1/2 tsp dry or 1 tsp grated ginger
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro
    1 tsp orange zest

Optional:
    1 cup milk, almond milk, coconut milk, half and half, or heavy cream

Place carrots and liquid (and potato if you are using it) into a medium sized soup pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer til carrots are soft. Let cool to room temp.

Meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic and nuts in the butter or oil until the onions are clear.

Puree everything together in a blender until smooth, or use immersion blender directly in the pot.

Return to pot and whisk in seasoning.

At this point, you may choose to add milk or cream. However, the soup is so thick and rich with the addition of the nuts, I usually skip this step.

Reheat before serving.

Garnish with toasted nuts, a splash of cream or spoonful of plain yogurt or sour cream,*, truffle oil, fresh/dried herbs or spices, some toasted bread crumbs or eat just as it is.
    Last edited by Briza; 10-05-2011, 11:02 AM.

This looks yummy Bri! Thanks for posting it I was wanting to make something new for dinner tonight

Pam

Comment

I've never tried carrot soup and I love carrots so I have no idea why. This recipe gives me inspiration to try it.
      Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
      Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
      Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
      CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
      Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
      Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
      Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
      Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
      Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
      Naproxen:for pain as needed
      Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
      Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
      Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
      Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Enjoying a bowl right now - very tasty

Pam

Comment

This is an older post and I don't know if the owner of this wonderful recipe is still on here but - -it was brilliant.

I changed it up a little though. I did half a bag of baby carrots cut up into smaller peices, one medium size sweet potato cut up into small peices, two garlic cloves, 4 cups water and just seasoned it with dried basil, parsley, and bay leaves, sea salt, etc.

I noticed it only bothered my bladder a little bit---but not enough not to eat it...I drank some marshmallow tea and was good.
          It is strange that this recipe would bother me at all...its so tame and simple....I hope to figure it out
          I've had IC I guess my whole life, however, I was diagnosed in Spring of 2011.
          I've tried colostrum, Cystoprotek, and other herbs and meds.
          I drink Marshmallow Root Tea & Raspberry Leaf Tea --- sometimes I drink Chamomile Tea too!
          My urologist just put me on myrbetriq for OAB.
          Hoping to be prescribed Hydroxyzine to decrease night time voiding, daytime frequency, pain (burning and pressure)

You're right: I don't look ill. Interstitial Cystitis is an invisible disease. And see, sweetheart: you don't look stupid either!

"Everyday is a battle, everyday is a struggle and I refuse to be defeated! Interstitial Cystitis will not beat me! Depression will not concur me! I will fight like a girl!"

-Author to me unknown

Comment

Working...
          X