Japanese onigiri (rice balls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese onigiri (rice balls)

I live in Japan and often eat onigiri for lunch. It is great for picnics or packed lunches.

Here is a basic recipe but there are many types of onigiri. Just do a search on the internet for more ideas.

Ingredients:
    steamed Japanese rice
    strips of dried nori (seaweed)
    Salt to taste

*For fillings:
    canned tuna fish or grilled salmon (small chunks)

Preparation:
    Cook steamed rice. Put about a half cup of steamed rice in a bowl. Make a dent in the center of the rice and place fillings. Wet your hands in water so that the rice won't stick. Rub some salt on your hands. Place the rice in the rice bowl on your hands. Form the rice into a round or a triangle, by pressing lightly with your both palms. Wrap the rice ball with a strip of nori.

I also like to mix sesame seeds in with the rice or sprink some on the outside.

Hope some of you try it.

Nice recipe! I'll definitely give it a try. Since I developed a soy & fish allergy, I don't eat in Japanese or Chinese restaurants (worried that even if I tell the waiter, that I may still get exposed through cutting boards & woks) & I really miss the things that might still be ok for me. Thanks for posting the recipe

Is it like sushi that when prepared in a restaurant or shop that the rice is quick-cooled with vinegar? (which is not ok for us)
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

onigiri

Nope, no vinegar in onigiri. Just plain sticky, japanese white rice. You can also use brown rice but they don't stick together quite as well.

Comment

Working...
      X