Ideas for a cream sauce for baking chicken/fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a cream sauce for baking chicken/fish

Since tomatoes are out for me I struggle to find ways to cook tasty meals.
    I used to be a good cook I am told. I used tomatoes for most of my recipes.

What I would like is a recipe for a cream sauce for chicken or fish that would give me more variety than just baked or oven fried.

Thanks

If you can tolerate cheddar cheese I make a cheddar cheese sauce. Sorry I don't measure but aprox this. I put 1 cup or more cream,1 cup cheddar cheese,2 tblsp butter bring to boil than add 1 tblsp flour or cornstarch to thicken. You can season to taste. This is really good with pasta. I steam veggies add chicken then add sauce and put over pasta.(this sauce is also good with tortilla chips)

Variations
    *If you can tolerate parmesan you can do this with parmesan instead of cheddar to make an alfredo sauce.*
    *Just do cream butter and garlic for a garlic cream sauce*
    *Cream butter flour seasoning and mushrooms for a mushroom sauce or you can just do canned mushroom soup on it's own(without problem ingredients)*
    *1 cup yogurt(if you can tolerate),1/2finely chopped cucumber,1 tsp dill, 1 tsp onion for cucumber sauce(good on fish)*

Hope this helps!
    Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
    Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
    Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
    CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
    Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
    Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
    Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
    Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
    Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
    Naproxen:for pain as needed
    Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
    Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
    Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
    Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

For cream sauces, I start with a simple bechemel (milk) sauce, then add different flavors for variety.
      1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp flour - let cook for a minute to avoid raw flour taste. This makes the roux. (For a roux, it's always a 1:1 ratio of fat to flour.) Then add milk, cream, half and half, or chicken stock (about 1-1.5 cups of liquid). Bring to boil and it should thicken for you.

From there you can add different kinds of cheese (based on what you can tolerate).
      You can add fresh herbs or veggies (i.e. asparagus pieces)
      In the melted butter/oil stage, you can add minced garlic for a garlic-type cream sauce.

Side note: I also make S.O.S. from a simple bechemel, then add American cheese slices and thinly sliced IC-safe ham lunchmeat. Use on top of toast.

If you pan fry chicken, use the leftover 'fat' in the pan (or add a little if necessary) to add flour to make roux - then add some chicken stock for a simple chicken gravy. (Can also do this with beef.)

I like this sauce/marinade for salmon (2 lbs):
      6 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 Tbsp pear juice, 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (mix together; reserve 1 Tbsp for sauce; marinate salmon for 3-4 hrs)
      Sauce: 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp reserved marinade, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill, 1/4 c canola oil, 5 T whipped whipping cream (mix all ingredients together except oil and cream; then whisk in oil; lastly fold in cream)

Best of luck!

Comment

K D W and others-
        I really want to thank you for your ideas. I printed them and have already used them some.
        One thing I made lately that turned out good was pasta with fresh asparagus sauted in butter.
        It was so simple but delicious.

I appreciate anyones ideas in this area.

Comment

Basil Pesto is also good for pasta and meat or seafood meals. Check the ingredients to be sure there is nothing that would bother you. I make my own Pesto in the summer because I have an herb garden.Basil leaves,parmesean cheese, if you can tolerate, and olive oil.I often add toasted,chopped Pine nuts to it. Makes a nice crunch.

Comment

I do like and use pesto. I have a herb garden also and make the pesto and freeze some for the winter months.
            Not to be negative but I sure miss not being able to cook with tomatoes.
            Nothing smells better than a tomato sauce with basil. Sigh.

Comment

That's true. Fortunatly I can eat tomato sauces,Spaghetti sauce etc. The only fresh tomatoes I eat are green ones. Fried Green Tomatoes is the bomb. I also make Green tomato cake gor my DH. There is a Green tomato pie as wekk but he like the cake better.

Comment

I am interested in the green tomato cake recipe you use. We have a garden each year so have some tomatoes.

I have made the green tomato pie for my dh and his hunting buddies and it must have been a huge success. I got the recipe from the net. There are many of those out there.

Comment

It's a Pauls Deen recipe.If you can't find it,PM me and I'll send it to you. Jo

Comment

Working...
                  X