Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got a new dressing/sauce to share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got a new dressing/sauce to share?

I'm looking for dressings that are not sweet and sauces that can spice up meat, etc. Gosh, everything is so plain and tastes the same. I'm not a real big sweets person and I'm not supposed to have a lot of dairy. I'm willing to use a little though. Anything new?
    treatment:
    -I follow the IC diet to the letter
    -acupuncture and chinese herbs
    -Prelief
    -UTA
    -instillations as needed
    -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
    -Wellbutrin
    -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

OK. I found one myself. I was making a roast beef sandwich and was frustrated about how dry it was going to be. I noticed some all natural alfredo sauce in my refrigerator and put that on the bread like mayonnaise and it was delicious! I didn't use much, (mine is more thin than the usual thick alfredo) but it gave it a moist, creamy flavor. I've also used it on a cheese/turkey sandwich. Someone may have thought of this already, but it's really been a great discovery for me. I know, it's fattening, but if you only use a little it's not so bad, and hey, we need a break here with all our limitations. Plus, I've lost 8 pounds since this all started. If I think of anything else, I'll share it, and please do the same.
    treatment:
    -Prelief
    -UTA
    -instillations as needed
    -Wellbutrin
    -Klonopin

Comment

Avocado is also a great base for sauces/creamy. Mix it with a little olive oil, salt, garlic, and pepper (if tolerated) to taste! :-)
      Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
      IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
      IC Diet Website
      For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
      Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
      Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
      IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Sounds good! Too bad it doesn't keep longer! I love avocado.
        treatment:
        -Prelief
        -UTA
        -instillations as needed
        -Wellbutrin
        -Klonopin

Comment

I posted some salad dressing recipes you could use those instead of mayo. Alfredo sauce is so easy to make. Just milk or cream,butter,parmesan(can is most tolerated). Heat and cool for use on sandwiches.If you only use a little not so bad.
          Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
          Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
          Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
          CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
          Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
          Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
          Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
          Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
          Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
          Naproxen:for pain as needed
          Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
          Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
          Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
          Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Not being able to eat "traditional" salad dressing since I was diagnosed has been a huge struggle for me. Recently, I discovered toasted sesame oil and I am in love! I find it so delicious and flavourful. It has a nutty flavour.

I thought I would share this idea with others who are also struggling. I'm sure others will also like toasted sesame oil as a salad dressing.

Comment

Basic Sauce

I puree a tub of cottage cheese and use it as my basic sauce.

Add Italian spices and garlic for a "Ranch Dip/Dressing" (oil/water to thin)
              Add your favorites cheese for a "Salad Dressing" (oil/water to thin)
              Leave it like it is for "Sour Cream" or "Mayo" substitute
              Add Paprika for "Deviled Eggs"
              Add Salt & Pepper for "Potato Salad Dressing"

I love this section about sharing recipes. During the holidays and in cold weather is when I have the most difficult time with foods that are off my "IC friendly" list and needs these subsitute recipes. Thank you everyone.

Comment

Re: Anybody got a new dressing/sauce to share?

how do you make the alfredo sauce?

Comment

Originally posted by Dara30 View Post
                  how do you make the alfredo sauce?
                  melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pot
                  add 1 tablespoon flour. This will make what they call a roux
                  add 1 1/2 cups heavy cream. I use whipping cream
                  add shredded parmesan cheese about 1 cup
                  simmer until thickened about 2 mins
                  you can add a little garlic powder if you want but I don't
                  Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
                  Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
                  Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
                  CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
                  Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
                  Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
                  Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
                  Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
                  Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
                  Naproxen:for pain as needed
                  Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
                  Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
                  Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
                  Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Stir-fry sauce

1/4 tsp. Ground ginger
                    1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
                    1/4 tsp. Coriander
                    1/2 tsp. Salt
                    1/2 tsp. Onion powder
                    1/4 cup pear juice
                    1 cup chicken broth
                    1 tsp. Cornstarch
                    1 tsp. Canola oil

Mix together and pour over cooked meat and veggies

"When you gotta go, you gotta go!"