• carole
    replied
    Re: Nomato Marinara Sauce

Glad you enjoyed it AmyGig

Leave a comment:

• AmyGig
    replied

I have been looking at this recipe for months and have been completely skeptical. I love to cook and could just not figure out how these ingredients could come together but they do! I love cooking Italian food and miss tomato sauce more than anything which is why I keep coming back to this recipe. I did change some things. I do agree that it's a little sweet so I think I'll just use less pears or pear juice next time. I used fresh garlic and fresh herbs and added parmesan. I can't do onions so I used chives and I don't eat meat so I made some eggplant meatballs. I also didn't include the mushrooms or green pepper just because I really wanted to see how this sauce stood on it's own. I have no idea how you put these ingredients together but thank you so much for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• carole
    replied

Bladderella if you increase the red pepper and add some kind of cheese(I use cream cheese or feta) you will decrease the sweet flavor. Adding more seasoning will also do that. I never find mine sweet if I follow these steps.

Leave a comment:

• Bladderella
    replied

I made this again on Monday night and although I like it, I think it's a little sweet too. I used about 1/2 of the black pepper called for this time. Next time I think I'll use 1/2 the pears and 1/2 the pear juice and see if that helps make it not so sweet.

Leave a comment:

• LoriSue
    replied

Just made this last night. It's a little sweet but all in all, a great substitute for tomato sauce. I made some pizza dough, too. Can't wait for a "real pizza" tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Grandmav
    replied

Instead of red peppers I use butternut squash. It works great and for no carbs (or very little carbs) I use shirataki noodles.

You can just boil the squash, put it in the blender - add Italian spices and garlic, salt to taste and cook it in a pot over medium heat. Add the rinsed shirataki noodles and viola!

Leave a comment:

• carole
    replied

Originally posted by Bladderella View Post
    I made this for dinner tonight. The last time I had real spaghetti with marinara/meat sauce was well over a year ago. The only change I may make next time is to use a little less pepper over all. But, man... is it good!!
    Glad you enjoyed it

Leave a comment:

• Bladderella
    replied

I made this for dinner tonight. The last time I had real spaghetti with marinara/meat sauce was well over a year ago. The only change I may make next time is to use a little less pepper over all. But, man... is it good!!

Leave a comment:

• carole
    replied

prisd I know it's crazy to think that those ingredients would taste so good together and taste like marinara. I made it last week and I added a heaping tablespoon of herb and garlic cream cheese and it was amazing. I missed spaghetti so much and the first time I made this I almost cried. I'm so glad you all loved it so much.

Leave a comment:

• prisd
    replied

Carole, congrats on recipe of the month! I made it for my family last night served with quinoa spaghetti and they all loved it. It is crazy good! I'm going to send it to my IC friends. I made it pretty much exactly as you said except that I used extra chopped garlic cloves in place of the garlic powder, and I used prune juice instead of pear juice because I already had some on had. I packed some leftovers in my husband's lunch along with more spaghetti noodles, an extra sausage, and some spinach and he said it was the best lunch I ever packed him, ha ha. Thank you so much!!

Leave a comment:

• carole
    replied

Originally posted by Mel Keen View Post
    Hi! I'm new to the forum. No official diagnosis but I am trying the IC diet on my own. I miss tomatoes terribly and am excited to try your recipe but....I loathe (��) beets! Any suggestions for a substitue?
    You can't taste the beets at all!

Leave a comment:

• Stacey Wykes
    replied

Yummy!!! Will try it on the weekend .

Leave a comment:

• Bladderella
    replied

Originally posted by Mel Keen View Post
    Hi! I'm new to the forum. No official diagnosis but I am trying the IC diet on my own. I miss tomatoes terribly and am excited to try your recipe but....I loathe (��) beets! Any suggestions for a substitue?
    From what I understand, you can't taste the beets in the sauce once it's made.

Leave a comment:

• Mel Keen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• carole
    replied

I added a big spoon full of herbed cream cheese and shredded parmesan(if can tolerate) to this sauce and it was amazing! It tasted way better than any jarred or restaurant sauce.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X