Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabbage Condiment Recipe

Hi all,
    I don't know about you but I miss vinegar terribly. I am also always at a loss as to what to put on a sandwich. I think I came up with something pretty tasty last night that was reminiscent of a vinegary condiment. I used some juice from Bubbie's Kosher dill pickles. These are pickles that don't have any vinegar in them. I am not too fond of the pickles themselves but have been trying to come up with something to use the sour juice in. I don't know exact amounts but will try to estimate:
    about 2 cups of red cabbage sliced thinly
    enough apple cider to just cover the cabbage and about 1/4 cup of water(the apple cider I use is just apples, nothing else added)
    1/8 cup of Bubbie's pickle juice
    about 5 allspice berries
    a little salt and pepper if you can handle it

Bring to a boil and then turn down and simmer until most of the liquid is gone and the cabbage is soft. Don't forget to remove the allspice berries before eating. I made some homemade veggie burgers and put this cabbage on top. It was really good.
    Last edited by AmyGig; 01-19-2015, 10:19 AM.

Re: Cabbage Condiment Recipe

I love cabbage no matter how it's made. This sounds good, thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Sounds good. Thank you for sharing.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I really miss vinegar too! Thanks for sharing!
        Jane
        Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
        10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
        Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
        Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
        Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Comment

You are all more than welcome. I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

I love bubbie's pickles. You can also make a bread and butter pickle by adding sugar to these pickles and letting them sit overnight. I've never had trouble with these but it's my understanding that someone called the company at one time and they stated some ingredients that may be an issue for some ICer's. Thanks for posting
            Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
            Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
            Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
            CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
            Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
            Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
            Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
            Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
            Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
            Naproxen:for pain as needed
            Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
            Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
            Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
            Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Oh, I wish I loved those pickles. I was so excited when I heard about them but I just don't like them no matter how hard I try!! Do you remember what the problem ingredients were?

Comment

I am not sure. I had posted about these pickles and I forget who it was that called the company and they reluctantly told her the ingredients with the understanding that she would not share the info other than post if they were safe or not. I love them!
                Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
                Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
                Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
                CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
                Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
                Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
                Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
                Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
                Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
                Naproxen:for pain as needed
                Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
                Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
                Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
                Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Comment

Working...
                X