• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICNDonna
    replied
    Re: My diet works!

Originally posted by Kasia View Post
    Thanks Donna! I am worrying about it too. I do intend to re-introduce some things at a later point and if this does not work out, to consult a nutritionist. But I am determined to keep off meat and fish for ethical/religious reasons.
    Actually I have family members who are vegetarian and, while it's a challenge, they do well.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Kasia
    replied

Thanks Donna! I am worrying about it too. I do intend to re-introduce some things at a later point and if this does not work out, to consult a nutritionist. But I am determined to keep off meat and fish for ethical/religious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied

I do have one suggestion --- I think it would be a good idea to consult a nutritionist to have a look at your diet to be sure you don't end up with malnutrition problems. It's absolutely possible to have a balanced diet within your guidelines, but it can be a challenge. I'm very glad you're feeling better --- and I don't want you to run into any other problems.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Kasia
    started a topic My diet works!

My diet works!

I am one of the "lucky ones" since my IC manifests only as discomfort and constant peeing but no horrible pains described by some fellow sufferers.
    Anyway, I decided to go fundamentalist about my diet for some weeks. I eliminated: coffee, tea, alcohol (I don't drink anyway), chocolate, soy in all forms, all nuts except almonds, tomatoes, cheese except cottage and Philadelphia-like, citrus fruit, everything vinegary (major loss!), cranberries and pineapple and all meat and fish (I have wanted to go completely vegetarian for some years now, without success, so now is the time to go the whole hog. No pun intended). I prepare all my food from the scratch (I always have, nothing new here). And I forced myself to drink 2 liters of water or various infusions. I take no IC medication whatsoever and I use an electric stimulator for my tibial nerve twice a day.
    I basically eat rice, various grains, pasta and potatoes and vegetables. After two weeks my symptoms disappeared! I was elated.
    Yesterday I had some hard cheese and some parmesan and, perhaps more importantly, I forgot to drink a lot. I had an immediate warning from my bladder during the night! I don't know if it was the cheese or too little to drink but there I was, again peeing at one hour intervals. So I am back to being a good girl! I think my bladder needs a longer rest than two weeks in order to regenerate so I will not venture into "forbidden food" territory any time soon.
    Anyway I am thrilled that the diet seems to work for me and I intend to keep it from now on. I imagine that the key to reducing flares is to have the "flary" foods only once in a while and one at a time, not many in one day. But it is a trial and error and I guess everybody is different.
    By the way, my urologist does not believe that it is possible to keep the symptoms down with diet alone and that the diet like mine is almost self-harming. I am determined to prove him wrong! Food has played a predominant role in my life until now. If IC makes me eat to live instead of living to eat, so be it!
Working...
X