Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nausea...because of Prelief?? It was bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nausea...because of Prelief?? It was bad...

A couple of Prelief stories-

Occasion 1)

I understood that you can take Prelief with alcoholic beverages to reduce the acid. Well, one night I had a few mixed drinks. With each drink, I took 2 Prelief. By the 3rd drink (over a period of about 3 hours), I was SLAMMED. I mean, I have never been this sick in my life. It felt like I had had 20 drinks instead of 3. I crawled into the bathroom and vomited for about 2 hours, as well as periods where I passed out. I dont remember a thing. I was sick the whole next day. THe nausea didnt go away. I know my body pretty well, and it was EXTREMELY odd that I got this sick from only 2 mixed drinks. It was so bad that my fiance and I thought that someone had laced my drink, thats how sick I was. I got tested for GHB and a couple of other "date rape" drugs, and they were negative, so I just put it off as drinking too much, even thought it just didnt add up...

Occasion 2)

One morning, I was REALLY craving a mocha. I went to Starbucks and ordered a grande white mocha, which I used to have all the time before my IC. With my coffee, I took 2 prelief. By the time I was almost home, I could barely drive I felt so sick. I had to blast the air conditioner in my car to keep from vomiting. I got home, and could barely make it up the stairs, I literally had to crawl into my house. Not only was I EXTREMLY nauseous, I had a stabbing pain in my stomach. When I laid down in bed, I had to concentrate with all my might to keep from vomiting.

I read the bottle of my prelief backwards and forwards, and found no information about nausea as a side effect. I was also under the impression that you could take Prelief as needed, meaning 2 with each drink, ect.

Does anyone know what I am taking about? Has this happened to anyone else? Please let me know, because I would love to take Prelief again to enjoy some of the foods and drinks that I am missing out on, but I am too afraid to try it again, because I stronly believe that it was a factor in my sickness both times.
    Diagnosed with IC in 2004 at the age of 19
    12 weeks of instillations (don't remember what)
    Remission from late 2005 until August 2011.
    Married in 2005 - Our son was born in 2008!

IC acting back up after a severe UTI in June followed by another mild UTI in August.

Current Treatment
    ~IC diet - not strict, but avoiding most things including my beloved soy chai lattes. Drinking only water and blueberry juice. No tomatoes or anything spicey.
    ~1/2-1mg Ativan per day - has been the only thing to help! Praying that my doctor will let me continue with it
    ~25mg Doxipen
    ~Azo as needed (don't really notice a difference)

IC symptoms get progressively worse throughout the day. Sleep and constant distraction are my only refuge!

I've never heard of nausea as a side effect of Prelief --- anyone else?

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Never Heard Of Nausea As A Side Effect Of Prelief. Have You Called The Toll Free # ? 1-800-994-4711 And Spoke With Them? Why Not Give Them A Jingle? Maybe They Could Give You Answers. Good Luck Ruby

Comment

prelief nausea

I have a strong stomach, but Prelief makes me vomit if I have it in the morning. For a while I was trying to take it with coffee right after I woke up, but until I have something substantial in my stomach, it makes me incredibly sick.

It's a problem I still can't seem to work around...at this point I am just cutting back on coffee, which is really not something I want to do!

Comment

I have had 2 occassions where I have taken Prelief right before a meal that I knew I would need it and on those occasions, I got real hot and nausous, and really sharp pain in my stomach. Both of those times my stomach was pretty empty. So maybe it has something to do with the fact of no food in the stomach to work on. I don't know but it was really bad both times it happened.
          Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
          http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

Dear heybrej:

I cannot explain the problem you seemed to experience with Prelief. Untold thousands of people drink regular coffee and regular drinks, e.g.,wine, every day, using Prelief, and have no effects whatever except that they are not acidically bothered by those drinks afterward.

There is nothing inherent in Prelief to hurt anybody. What it contains is calcium and phosphorus, in the same ratios as in milk, and there is also glycerol which binds the molecule to make the body-friendly glycerophosphate, another substance your own body makes.

Sorry, I just cannot say what these problems were, unless something in the mixed alcohol and complex coffee beverage disagreed with you. Please call me direct at 1-800-994-4711 if you have any questions. I would be happy to speak with you.

Betty Corson
            Customer Service
            [email protected]
            For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

I have experienced the nausea also. I took it before eating out one night. By the time I got to the restuarant, I couldn't eat I was so sick. Now, I only take it with the first bite of food.

Comment

Oh wow, okay.

"I have a strong stomach, but Prelief makes me vomit if I have it in the morning. For a while I was trying to take it with coffee right after I woke up, but until I have something substantial in my stomach, it makes me incredibly sick. "

"I have had 2 occassions where I have taken Prelief right before a meal that I knew I would need it and on those occasions, I got real hot and nausous, and really sharp pain in my stomach. Both of those times my stomach was pretty empty. So maybe it has something to do with the fact of no food in the stomach to work on. I don't know but it was really bad both times it happened."

"I have experienced the nausea also. I took it before eating out one night. By the time I got to the restuarant, I couldn't eat I was so sick. Now, I only take it with the first bite of food."

It seems that this happens to quite a few people. 3 out of the 5 people on this board jave experienced this same effect....so why isn't this anywhere on the label or box?? I dont get it. I will deffinitly be putting a call in. Not that I can change anything as just one person, but this really should be listed somewhere on the product.

Many other medications that I take make me nauseous well, and they say on the bottle that they should be taken with food in the stomach. If Prelief had said this, I would have been more cautious, but I was under the assumption that it was fine on an empty stomach and could be used like the dairy aid, Lactaid, which I also use quite often. I thought it could be used as needed- whenever, wherever, for whatever. This is a quote from a site that sells Prelief- "Prelief is not a drug. Prelief is a dietary supplement that can be used with every meal, every day. Plus, it's a good source of calcium."

See what I mean??

I am not trying to bad-mouth Prelief by any means- I think it is a great product and it helps many of us get on with our daily lives. However, the incident that I described above was something that I am not soon to forget. I really did think that I may have been drugged, and I took it upon myself to get TESTED for date rape drugs. We also got a kit that tested for drugs in the cups that were left over. That is how serious I took this. That is how sick I got. The ONLY medication that I was on at the time of my sickness was Prelief, but I looked up the side effects/cautions, and there was NOTHING about nausea (or anything else really...), so I didn't think twice about it, until my second run in with it while drinking my coffee.

It does bother me that the representative for Prelief claims to have no knowledge of this issue. Doen't they test it before it goes out into the market? I'm not the only one. So far, it is 3 our of 5! Thats huge, especially when the Prelief rep. claims to not know about it. Reading the Prelief website, I see that there is Calcium in the product, which I think can also cause nausea. This is something that is in the product, therefor it should be cautioned as well for the nausea that it may cause.

Alright, I'm starting to get a little angry, so I'm going to stop, but please, if you have experienced the same issue (nausea, stomach pains, vomiting), PLEASE post here or PM me. Thank you so much.

-Breanna

http://www.akpharma.com/prelief/preliefindex.html
                http://www.joemuscle.com/prelief.html

IC acting back up after a severe UTI in June followed by another mild UTI in August.

Current Treatment
                ~IC diet - not strict, but avoiding most things including my beloved soy chai lattes. Drinking only water and blueberry juice. No tomatoes or anything spicey.
                ~1/2-1mg Ativan per day - has been the only thing to help! Praying that my doctor will let me continue with it
                ~25mg Doxipen

IC symptoms get progressively worse throughout the day. Sleep and constant distraction are my only refuge!

Comment

I have used Prelief many times with no problems and will continue to use this great product. I know I have a sensitive stomach and so I consider it my fault for taking it before I had enough food in my stomach.

For many people taking it on an empty stomach may not be a problem. We are all individuals and respond differently. I know though now, based on my reaction, I have to have food in my stomach first.
                  Jolene

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

No, it was NOT our fault. They should warn that taking it on an empty stomach makes you ill. I just dont understand why they wouldnt warn of such a prominent issue. If I took it and just got a little tummy ache, this wouldnt be as huge of an issue. That day I felt like I was going to die. I'm not joking. I have NEVER been so sick. They tell you to take it with beverages....which is NOT taking it with food. It DOES NOT warn that taking it on an empty stomach will make you nauseous.

I'm not saying that this isnt a good, usefull product. I would LOVE to take it again. I haven't had an alcoholic drink, a coffee, juice, soda, or tomato sauce since. I haven't taken Prelief again because I am scared.

I just went to my medicine cabinet and grabbed the first two bottles I saw.

~"Kirckland Signature" brand Ibuprophen Tablets- "when using this product take with food or milk if stomach upset occurs"
                    ~"One A Day Women's" Multivitamin- Directions: Adults: One tablet daily, with food.

Obviously it's not hard to throw in a little blurb. That's all I wish Prelief would do. My mother has been a pharmaceutical tech for over 25 years. I read the bottle of every medication that I use. Again, there was nothing on the bottle, there was nothing on the website, and the Prelief rep said she didn't know anything about it, and suggested that it was something else in my drinks. NO. THAT IS WRONG.

Like I said before, I use Lactaid because I am lactose intolorent. Lactaid is a dietary supplement, just like Prelief. I take probably 4-6 Lactaid tablets every day, and it does not make you sick, even on an extremely empty stomach (I used to take it first thing in the morning with my mocha before my IC). Since there was no warning on the Prelief bottle, I was under the impression that it was like Lactaid. I felt 100% safe taking it. The company implies that you can take it whenever, wherever, and with whatever, as many times as needed. This just doesn't seem right, since it makes most of us ill on an empty stomach (4/5 now, thats 80%!!!)

I'm not trying to make people angry at me or quit using Prelief. I am just astonished that is makes so many of us ill and yet there is still no warning....

-Breanna

Current Treatment
                    ~25mg Doxipen

Comment

"I have given our correspondence to our company head, Alan E. Kligerman, for response. You mentioned Lactaid and since Mr. Kligerman is the developer of that product and holds the patent on Beano as well, I thought that he might be able to respond more satisfactorily than I. He advises:

Dear (Breanna?) (Heybrej?):

Betty Corson has given me the postings and her responses. First, let me tell you I really am sorry you had the problem. While it does seem to me that mixed alcoholic drinks and complex coffees are quite a challenge to anybody's stomach, I take your word and the word of the others who have come in on this discussion, that Prelief tablets taken on your empty stomach have given you distress, no matter what you eat or drink.

There are apparently a few people, really relatively few, who can't handle calcium on an empty stomach. Just what the mechanism is here is not known to me, and it may not be the same for all. Without in any way disputing your own experience or detracting from it, I do want to tell you that in the several years that Prelief has been marketed, seven to be exact, that there have been almost no such complaints. We keep them all; we analyze what people say (e.g., some people note that calcium products, any calcium products, tend to constipate them) and there are in fact, over the past year, not six such complaints. Our records show that there have been 14 such complaints since the year 2000. This is out of millions of Prelief tablets taken. I see very clearly that there are two other persons who have seconded your complaint and this series of exchanges might even turn up more, but to date, that has been our experience. That is why "PR Betty" has said that we essentially never hear such a complaint.

There is no reason in the world why we would not voluntarily put a cautionary note on a label if we would know a problem existed. Our intent is to remove pain and urgency, not to conceal a secondary effect. But there was just no way of knowing this problem would surface, even in a few people. You asked if we had tested it. We would have had to test thousands and thousands of persons to elicit even a few such responses and where there is not a safety issue suspected, which there is not in the case of calcium glycerophosphate (Prelief), no such testing would have been deemed necessary by any medical or scientific body. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration regards calcium glycerophosphate as "GRAS", which stands for Generally Recognized As Safe, and that is what it has proven to be. For persons seriously sensitive to calcium, which would include other products such Tums, the reactions would probably be the same, on an empty stomach.

You have mentioned that three out of four persons who have registered their opinions on this subject have concurred with you, and these are taken seriously by us. But this does not constitute a "sample" of Prelier users. What it does constitute is a chance for anybody, out of I really do not know how many who read the board, to make themselves known, something that we are grateful for, believe me.

AkPharma started Lactaid and we invented Beano; both of those products now belong to larger companies. Somewhere along the way we accidentally discovered the uses of calcium glycerophosphate as an acid remover, when we were investigating its use for something else entirely, a possible calcium replacer in coffee for women who drank a lot of coffee, a calcium-loss event, and who were therefore losing significant calcium (Depending on which nutritionist you talk to, it can be 10-15 mg of calcium per cup, which does not sound like much, but for the 4-5 cup a day drinker, this can come to 2% of your skeletal calcium mass in about 18 months, and that is a lot if you are an osteoporosis target). At any rate, we discovered this property of calcium glycerophosphate (CGP, from here on) and it seemed so important to us, given the acid challenges that people face, that we focused on that. We did not market Prelief, as we named the new product, as an antacid, because at the time that was a drug claim and we had not applied for a drug categorization of CGP; we still haven't. So we simply stated that it took acid out of challenging foods and put that on the label. It was the women with IC who came onto their support sites and extolled Prelief's value to themselves, and so we conducted clinical studies to see if Prelief really did help IC persons, who were mainly women, and it resoundingly did.

We have sometimes come to regret the day that we did, because in the years since we started with Prelief, this product has done nothing but cost money, big time. It curls my hair, I assure you when I look at the cumulative losses that we sustain year after year, because we believe in our proprietary "orphan drug" (it is NOT a drug; that is just a manner of speaking) and we think that one day it might turn the corner. In the meantime, we subsidize it, trust me in that. Please also trust that regardless of whether Prelief makes or loses money for its maker, that has no relationship to what is on the label and what should be. It's a very small label; the area is in fact tiny. We have edited and edited to keep the essentials on there. Maybe we could underline the word 'with', as in 'Take Prelief with food'. Would this work for you?

There are some seriously important additional benefits to Prelief, having to do with clinically demonstrably reducing bladder inflammation, but we are unable to put that on our label or even advertise that fact since it is a drug claim in the eyes of FDA. We intend to establish a separate web site that you will have to type in to get to; we are not even able to put in a link from our regular Prelief website. But on that site will be the really important Prelief benefits to persons with not only IC but overactive bladder and IBS as well, something with a 75% incidence in IC patients, while it is only around 15% in the regular population. There is still much more to Prelief than even that, and we will put those studies on the alternate site, hopefully within some months from now.

But back to the stomach upset - - I really regret you have that problem and I hope that you will continue to use Prelief, with food in your stomach when you take it. While I do not have IC or IBS, my personal story is that I had been on Zantac morning and night, reinforced by Mylanta tablets, because coffee and wine destroyed my stomach. From the first day of use, the coffee never bothered me again (I dissolve the powder in the coffee) and neither has wine (I wash two tablets down with each glass of wine). Best of everything to you and to the other users who have been in on this exchange!

Sincerely,

Alan Kligerman

Alan E. Kligerman
                      Chief Executive Officer
                      AkPharma Inc.
                      P O Box 111
                      Pleasantville, NJ 08232
                      Phone 609/645-5100 x304
                      Fax 609/485-0423
                      [email protected]
                      For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

Mr. Kligerman,
                        I am one of the ones who posted in this thread who has had a couple instances where I have had this trouble also. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to this. I know that my stomach is sensitive to things and it took me putting 2 and 2 together after this latest episode that I would always need to take it with food.

I think this is a great product and I am so grateful to have it. I do believe that this like everything is a very individual thing and that each person will have to do what works best for them.

One thing I have never tried is the powder. I may try that to see if it is easier than the pill form on my stomach.

Again, I wanted to take the time to say thank-you for taking the time to respond to this issue.

Sincerely,
                        Jolene
                        Jolene

Comment

Mr. Kligerman,

I also want to thank you for taking the time to address this issue that I have brought about. I wasn't intending to be rude or disrespectful, but I realize that I may have conveyed that. I was just astonished that there were 3 other people who had experienced the stomcah problems, and yet Betty told us that she had never heard of this. It was just hard to believe.

All I really wanted was for someone to acknowledge that the issue was indeed not in our head. I hope you can understand that. Everyone is different, and I am aware of that. I also understand that not everyone who uses Prelief gets the stomach issues. I was just 1 in however many, but to me, that was enough. As Jolene said above, I eventually put two and two together, and when I did, that was when I really started to investigate the possible side effects. However, I do wish that there was something up front that re-assured me that my stomach issues may have been caused by something in Prelief or the Calcium that is in Prelief. Not only would it have saved me the stress and some personal reprecussions, it would have saved me money. Like I said before, I took a drastic measure and actually got tested for GHB. I just want you to know how bad it was- it was THAT bad. It was a very scary experience that I will never forget.

Now that I know that Prelief may cause an upset stomach, I will take it with food. Yes, I will start taking it again. It is a product that so many of us desperatly need. I want to thank you for bringing this product to the market. I don't really know how drug companies work and how they test their products. I just assumed that everything that hit the shelves had been tested on at least hundreds of people.

Now, to the issue of the wording on the product. I don't think that "Take Prelief with food" gets the point accross. It just doesnt make sense because Prelief is intended to be taken with food to take the acid out of the food that you are eating. It is the beverage usage that is the issue, or so it seems. Now, I understand that you only have so much room on your product/box, but is there any way something could be said to the effect of "If using Prelief to take acid out of a beverage, take with food"?? That would be MORE than enough. Like I said before, I am only one person, and I don't expect anything to be done, but wow, if it was, I would be greatful and full of admiration.

Again, thank you so much for taking time out of your day to respond to my post. I truly appreciate it.

-Breanna

Current Treatment
                          ~25mg Doxipen

Comment

I want to clarify my case both times. I was out to eat away from home and took the Prelief appox. 10-15 minutes before eating on an empty stomach. It was not taken for a beverage I was drinking.
                            Jolene

Comment

Since I had responded earlier, I thought it fair to respond again. I also thank you for your time to respond. I learned that if I take with my food, I have no problems. Therefore, I don't take them before I eat. I like the product, and am glad it is out there for all of us. For the few who it bothers, there seems to be an easy way around it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X