Prelief and Kidney Stones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelief and Kidney Stones?

Does anyone know if there is any relation to taking Prelief and kidney stones. I have heard that antacids containing calcium can cause kidney stones. In addition to my IC, I have a small kidney stone, and am worried that taking the Prelief will aggravate it, make it bigger, or worse, cause more stones. I have always taken Calcium supplements and have heard that this also may cause kidney stones.

Any information would be helpful.

HI Pam! As i think I mentioned in my IM I have lots of small and some not so small stones in my kidneys! I too was concerned about the Prelief., and upped my UROCIT-K. This is to help me not make stones but also makes your urine less acid. This helps a lot but was still struggle sometimes. My Dr said that some Prelief would be fine and ASK me to please try it! I was surprised to find that Prelief is a combination of Calcium and Magnesium. The magnesium helps you body to better absorb the calcium so less is left in your urine helping to reduce the risk that it may cause stones!
    I hope that answers your question!!
    Shelly Matthewson
    Private Researcher
    IC Support Group Leader
    Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
    www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
    PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

Comment

Thanks. I had backed off on the Prelief out of fear it would make more stones. Sounds like it's pretty safe though. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Hi!

Just wanted to let you know that there are two schools of thought regarding the role of calcium and stones. The one you are familiar with is that more calcium = more stones. According to a study published in the April 26.2004 edition of the Archives of Internal Medicine, a higher intake of calcium (contrary to conventional wisdom) prevents kidney stones. However, I suggest you check with your doctor regarding this.

Each Prelief tablet contains 65 mg of elemental calcium. The tablets also contain a small amount (0.025%) of magnesium stearate as a processing aid.

Betty Corson
        Customer Service
        1-800-994-4711
        For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

Thank you Betty. My uro was less than helpful in advising me on what to avoid, especially regarding calcium supplements. He just said to drink more water. Apprently, he has very bad kidney stones, so you'd think he'd be a little more sympathetic, but all he said was "If I had a 3 mm stone like you, i'd be grateful." Grateful! I'm totally scared. Especially since I'm dealing with IC for the first time. This is alot to adjust to at once. Don't want to make things worse for myself in the meantime.

Anyway, thank you for the information.

Comment

Kidney stone

Originally posted by PamIvanicki View Post
            Does anyone know if there is any relation to taking Prelief and kidney stones. I have heard that antacids containing calcium can cause kidney stones. In addition to my IC, I have a small kidney stone, and am worried that taking the Prelief will aggravate it, make it bigger, or worse, cause more stones. I have always taken Calcium supplements and have heard that this also may cause kidney stones.

Any information would be helpful.
            Hi Pam,I have IC for 21 years,and I used prelief almost everyday.My IC is under remission.I only used natural supplements to treat my IC.I deal with my fear of kidney stone by doing coffee enema.I did see some stones coming out during my first and third coffee enema.My stones look like tiny floating green peas.I used to have pressure on my right side,and I did when to Dr.for that.He injected dye into my vein before x-ray,but they found nothing.I read on the website about stones,and how to get rid of it.I was afraid that the coffee enema is going to cause my bladder more pain,but to my surprised it actually make my pain goes away.I also realized that the more I do coffee enema the more relax I felt.Now I do coffee enema once a week.I never drink coffee,so it does make me a little jittery the first time I did it.I told my son if there is earthquake that day I probably be the only one who walk straight.There is a website on you tube talk about how to get rid of kidney stone with grapefruit juice and olive oil.

Comment

Working...
            X