How many prelief can youtake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many prelief can youtake

i have never taken prelief and I just have a few question. How many should I take and how often can you take it? Does it have anything in it that can hurt you?

Hello...I'm new to the board. My bottle of Prelief says to "take 2 tablets 3 times a day, best with meals and 2 at bedtime if desired...for best results take on a daily basis" I hope this helps you.
    Kristi
    God Bless,

Kristi

Comment

Dear Noelle54:

Prelief is an over-the-counter supplement that takes the acid out of food.
      Each Prelief tablet contains 65mg of calcium as calcium glycerophosphate. The tablets also contain under 1 mg of magnesium stearate put there solely as a processing aid. The amount is too small to be other than negligible.

Our recommended dosage is to take at least 2 tablets with each meal. I suggest taking 2 tablets with any snacks as well.

Betty Corson
      Customer Service
      1-800-994-4711
      For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

Do I have to take it all of the time?

Do I have to take it before ever meal or just the meals that have acis in them? So there totally safe to take forever?

Comment

http://www.akpharma.com/prelief/preliefindex.html
          PRODUCT OVERVIEW
          Prelief can be found in the PDR for NPD

Key Facts: Prelief is AkPharma’s brand name for calcium glycerophosphate which has a number of important uses relating to interdiction of acidic food-caused symptoms. The elemental calcium found in Prelief plays an important role in regulating normal cellular function within the body, as does all dietary calcium, but Prelief’s calcium is uniquely available.

Urinary: Prelief serves as a discomfort reducer to normalize urinary bladder function.

Intestinal: Prelief serves as a discomfort reducer to normalize the intestinal tract function.

Safety Information: Prelief is made from an FDA Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS)1 mineral and is also listed in the Food Chemicals Codex (FCC). 2

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Description:
          Prelief Tablets: Each tablet contains 345 mg calcium glycerophosphate (65 mg of elemental calcium and 50 mg of elemental phosphorus) and 0.25% magnesium stearate as a processing aid.

Prelief Powder: Each 1/4 teaspoon usage of powder is comparable to two tablets. The powder dissolves rapidly in food or non-alcoholic beverages. Tablets are recommended for taking with alcoholic beverages.

Two tablets (or about 1/4 teaspoon of powder) provide 15% (130 mg) of the FDA Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) for calcium and 10% (100 mg) of the FDA RDI for phosphorus. No sodium; no aluminum; no sugar; no potassium.

Reasons for Use: Prelief is used as an in vitro or in vivo food acid modifier for symptoms reduction for those persons identified with occasional benign but problematic intestinal and/or urinary bladder problems. Prelief contributes to the normalization of intestinal and urinary bladder function.

Action: Prelief binds acids and as a result interdicts many symptoms food acids can cause, including pain and urgency.

Usage:
          Tablets: 2-3 tablets, 2 times a day.
          Powder: 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a day. More of either can be used when needed.
          Prelief is taken in periodic dosages, regardless of meals or foods eaten, because while some foods are obviously acidic (e.g. juices, coffee, etc), other acidic foods are not readily recognizable as such (e.g. chocolate, baked beans, etc.).

Kosher: Prelief is Kosher and Parve.

How Supplied:
          Tablets: 60, 120 and 300-tablet bottles.
          Powder: 20-use squeeze bottle and 150-use shaker.

Use Limitations: None. 20 tablets = 1300 mg elemental calcium.

Adverse Reactions: None known.

Toxicity: None known.

Interactions with Drugs: Calcium may interact with certain prescription drugs. Phosphorus is contraindicated in patients with renal dysfunction. Check with health care professional for specific dosing instructions.

Precautions: None, except as stated above.

1 21 CFR§184.1201
          2 Food Chemicals Codex, 4th Edition, pp 60-61

Since it is calcium and magnesium it is something our body needs anyway....thus perfectly safe to take forever. It has nothing in it that can hurt you. Its ownly negative is that the amount of acid in our bodies can contribute to how our body disolves some meds so if you have a medicine that has a warning on it about taking with an antacid you need to be careful. For most people even that is not a problem. The only other problem you may find is that if you take too much you may end up with thicker stools. Since most of us have too high amount of acid we don't normally run into that problem till later on.

You can take it anyway you choose...if that is only when you cheat on the diet that is ok, if you choose to take it with each meal or with snacks too that is also ok. Either way be sure to keep your doctor informed.
          As Betty said...the amount with one pill is too small to be a problem so isn't much of a risk if you are worried start small.
          Faith, Hope, and Love,
          Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
          Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Just a note. I was taking massive quantities of prelief (more than the directed amount) plus TUMS, and ended up showing up with hypercalcemia on a pre-op blood test. When I went off the calcium, my calcium levels went back to normal.

So...it IS possible to overdose on this stuff, believe it or not. It's actually possible to consume too MUCH calcium.

And hypercalcemia can have some bad effects in the body.

Blessings, Lori

Comment

prelief

Lori,

When you say massive amounts how many are we talking about. I usually take 3 with and no-no foods and if I am having a glass of wine I take up to 4 with each glass. When I called the info line for Prelief the lady said to experiment with it. If you find that you have discomfort after a meal or drink increase next time. Im from Canada and we can't but it here so thank god for ordering on-line

Hope this helps!!

Carol

Comment

I would suggest that you dont take any amount of Prelief on an empty stomach. My nausea can get very bad from it, so I only take 1, even when I have a whole meal in my tummy. It effects people differently I guess, so I would experiment to find what is best for you.
                Diagnosed with IC in 2004 at the age of 19
                12 weeks of instillations (don't remember what)
                Remission from late 2005 until August 2011.
                Married in 2005 - Our son was born in 2008!

IC acting back up after a severe UTI in June followed by another mild UTI in August.

Current Treatment
                ~IC diet - not strict, but avoiding most things including my beloved soy chai lattes. Drinking only water and blueberry juice. No tomatoes or anything spicey.
                ~1/2-1mg Ativan per day - has been the only thing to help! Praying that my doctor will let me continue with it
                ~25mg Doxipen
                ~Azo as needed (don't really notice a difference)

IC symptoms get progressively worse throughout the day. Sleep and constant distraction are my only refuge!

Comment

Prelief

Originally posted by Noelle54 View Post
                  i have never taken prelief and I just have a few question. How many should I take and how often can you take it? Does it has anything in it that can hurt you?
                  Hi Noelle, I found out that prelief work great with other supplements (Aloe vera,and cystoprotek).The trick that I learned for my self is to take 2 prelief with almost every things that I put in my mouth,excerpt Aloe vera and cystoprotek.Even IC foods contain some form of acid.One example is blue berry,and pear Ph 6.00 which is on the acid side.Here is the website [url]http://www.pickyourown.org/food_acidity_ph_list.htm. I am so surprised that even IC friendly foods can be acidic.Not many foods that I found have high ph.7 and above.I used to take fish oil without lemon in it,and it still bother my IC.I later find out that even thought the label did not said lemon in it.The fish oil is still on the acidic side ph 3.The low PH will not bother most bladder,but it will bother IC bladder due to it raw and inflame state.Now I took my fish oil,enzymes,vit.D3,coq 10,medicine with 2 prelief.I took prelief with my camomile tea,snacks or any IC friendly foods. I would said that I took about 6 or 8 prelief per day,and sooo far so good.It work like charm.If I go to the restaurant,and happen to eat spicy foods I add extra prelief.Hope this Infor.help.
                  Last edited by Noraisha; 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

I take 20-25 Prelief a day with food and meds. I have no bad reactions with that. I don't take any other calcium supplements, so I'm within normal range for daily calcium. My bladder is sensitive to almost everything. Hope this helps!
                    Last edited by vicpic; 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Current diseases: IC, sjogren's syndrome, RA, hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune diabetes, peripheral neuropathy (PN), TMJ, sciatica, sinusitis, endometriosis, adenomyosis, PFD, fibromyalgia

Current medications/supplements/treatments for IC: Marshmallow root, Prelief, probiotics, Ativan, Vicodin, rest, ice, heating pad, IC diet, high dose vitamin D, alkaline water.

Meds/supplements I tried and failed: Elmiron (caused immediate bladder pain), Cystoprotek (aslo caused bladder pain), Desert Harvest aloe vera capsule (aggravated another medical condition), Elavil (caused palpitations/dry mouth), alkaline mineral powder (caused bladder pain). Considered Interstim neurostimulation, but it only helps frequency/urgency.

Try to stay positive and find joy in every day!

Comment

I take it when I go out to eat, but not at home. I usually take 3
                      ----------------------------------------------------
                      My blog on IC, adoption, and academia: the garlic whisperer

Diagnosed Jan 2013. Currently taking:

200mg Elmiron morning and night
                      25mg Elavil at night (no drowsiness or weight gain)
                      culturelle in the morning
                      SLIT drops for allergies (environmental) 3 drops/night under the tongue
                      zyrtec 24 hour nightly (recommended by uro)
                      Instillations 3x/week: Parson's Solution
                      uribel and prelief as needed

Also took Desert Harvest Aloe (3 in the morning and 3 at night) for a year and had great luck.
                      No longer need them, so I only take them during flares.

Comment

Re: Prelief

I used to take Prelief on and off when needed when I was going to eat something bad, I had some blood tests and they showed that I had calcium overflowing into my blood ( I can't remember what it was called by my Dr.) I quit using Prelief and didn't have a problem anymore. I'd be careful with prelief I did't ever take high doses of it but still had some problems check with your Dr. I didn't even use it daily.
                        MaryJo(Ut)

Comment

Re: Do I have to take it all of the time?

I take it with anything I am not sure about. You can print out a I.C. diet list and go from there. Anything that is not in the bladder friendly category I take Prelief with then some at bedtime. I take them right as I start eating. Too far before the meal and they make me nauseous. Good luck.
                          Originally posted by Noelle54 View Post
                          Do I have to take it before ever meal or just the meals that have acis in them? So there totally safe to take forever?

Comment

Re: How many prelief can youtake

I had a recent blood test for calcium, which was completely normal. So it all depends on each individual. I take a lot of prelief because I'm hypersensitive to nearly everything. I'm very careful about other sources of calcium, so I don't end up with too much.
                            Current diseases: IC, sjogren's syndrome, RA, hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune diabetes, peripheral neuropathy (PN), TMJ, sciatica, sinusitis, endometriosis, adenomyosis, PFD, fibromyalgia

Current medications/supplements/treatments for IC: Marshmallow root, Prelief, probiotics, Ativan, Vicodin, rest, ice, heating pad, IC diet, high dose vitamin D, alkaline water.

Meds/supplements I tried and failed: Elmiron (caused immediate bladder pain), Cystoprotek (aslo caused bladder pain), Desert Harvest aloe vera capsule (aggravated another medical condition), Elavil (caused palpitations/dry mouth), alkaline mineral powder (caused bladder pain). Considered Interstim neurostimulation, but it only helps frequency/urgency.

Try to stay positive and find joy in every day!

Comment

Re: How many prelief can youtake

I just think people need to check with there Dr. to be sure it made calcium spill into my blood. after I stopped using it. it did not show on my blood tests so I don't use it anymore. Just be careful and check on it.

When it showed up on my blood tests they checked me for thyroid trouble or para thyroid I think. which was good.
                              MaryJo(Ut)

Comment

Working...
                              X