AZO/Pyridium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZO/Pyridium

Didn't know what section to post this in, when I first was in pain I was on Azo Standard for months, then felt it was bad to be on this for so long, so I stopped but now am back on it and just wondering if anyone out there has had increased symptoms on pyridium or if anyone knows if it is bad for you to take long-term?
    Erin Thames
    Going on 4-1/2 years with IC/PFD/IBS/HPV/Myofacial pain

pyridium long-term

This is what I found:

Pyridium (phenazopyridine hydrochloride) is a prescription pain reliever that works by being excreted into the urine and soothing the bladder lining. It is often prescribed for temporary pain relief after surgery, cystoscopy, or catheterization. It is not prescribed for long-term use to control IC symptoms because it can build up in the body and cause harmful side effects. Pyridium colors the urine a very noticeable orange, and care must be taken to prevent staining of undergarments. Patients who wear contact lenses should be aware that occasionally contacts have become stained also.
    Uristat is a non-prescription version of pyridium marketed by Johnson & Johnson and available at drugstores. It, too, should not be taken as a long-term pain treatment strategy but may be helpful for occasional use. IC patients who have chronic bladder infections find it useful to have on hand for times when they have bladder discomfort but can't get in to see the doctor right away.

Comment

Long term found this

Originally posted by erinthames View Post
      Didn't know what section to post this in, when I first was in pain I was on Azo Standard for months, then felt it was bad to be on this for so long, so I stopped but now am back on it and just wondering if anyone out there has had increased symptoms on pyridium or if anyone knows if it is bad for you to take long-term?
      LONG TERM FOUND THIS..

Kidney Function

Another reason you really need to see your doctor is because phenazopyridine should be carefully monitored as it can build up in patients who have poor kidney function. As I mentioned above, phenazopyridine is eliminated from your body by your kidneys. When they aren’t functioning up to snuff the drug can build up. In many elderly patients with poor kidney function this build up can show up as yellowish tinge in the skin. Also, Pyridium or any of the over the counter products should NOT be used more than two days.

First of all, phenazopyridine has shown no benefit to patients when used longer then two days when it is also being given with an antibiotic. Secondly, that is really the purpose of Pyridium: to get into your system right away and start helping with the pain until your antibiotic kicks in. So taking more really only costs you more money.

Comment

Working...
      X