Was it a fluke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it a fluke?

I usually just take prelief before eating something a little risky, or eating at a restaurant or someone's house when I'm not sure what ingredients were used. Normally I take three-four prelief before eating, and it prevents problems. Sunday, however, I was extreme, because I had made french onion soup for my son's birthday and wanted to eat a little. It had a dash of red wine in it as well as a ton of onions, and I was also going to eat a french cake I'd made for him that had lemon zest in it. So I took EIGHT prelief before the meal, and another three before the cake. Not only did I not have any problems, but I slept seven hours straight without having to get up to pee, (usually I get up once during the night) AND the next day I only had to pee four times!! A record for me!! (I normally pee around six times a day unless I'm flaring)

Was this just a coincidence? Does anyone else take a LOT of prelief and have such a positive effect? I'm going to experiment with it and see what's going on, but I was curious if anyone else has experience with this.
    Doing well on: IC diet, prelief before every meal, recently discovered enablex made me worse

Good question Trixie. I swear that at times when I've had more than the usual two per meal that my symptoms have lessened, but I too would have to experiment. The only problem for me is that too much of it blocks me up somewhat. I'll try to take an extra one tonight and see what happens. What I don't know is how much is a safe amount to take on a daily basis. I don't take any other calcium aside from milk products. I'll get back to you.

Comment

Thanks, glass. I also have a problem with constipation ever since taking iron several months ago, so I'd rather not worsen that situation.
      Doing well on: IC diet, prelief before every meal, recently discovered enablex made me worse

Comment

I hear ya!!

Comment

Hi!

It is almost impossible to take too much Prelief, in terms of safety or for any other reason. There is no practical limit to the amount of Prelief that can be taken, although we suggest 30 or 40 tablets a day as a limit simply to "have a limit".

Each Prelief tablet contains 65 mg of elemental calcium as calcium glycerophosphate and you should calculate the amount of calcium that you are getting from Prelief into the amount of calcium that you are trying to take in daily.

Betty Corson
          Customer Service
          For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

I also take a ton of it sometimes. for me two just doesn't seem right.. I take so much more.. I would try it again, and see if you have the same affect.. that would be awesome if it were helping you in some way, and you get to eat things you love so much
            Healing thoughts

Bea

Comment

I did try taking 8 again one night and it didn't have the same effect. However, I have been taking 3 with dinner every night, even if I don't think the food is risky, and have slept through the night a couple more times, too. I'm going to keep experimenting with it. I've just lived with disrupted sleep for most of my life, due to long undiagnosed IC, and my number one goal is to sleep through the night. Constantly disrupted sleep eventually really impacts your health, as it did with me.
              Last edited by Trixie50; 03-11-2008, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I did some more experimenting, and have concluded that sleeping through the night is not directly related to taking prelief the night before. I am sleeping through the night more now, though, which is nice. I can't remember how long it's been since I slept through the night - probably when I was a child. (I've had undiagnosed IC my entire life, was diagnosed at age 50 finally) Maybe my bladder is just progressing in its healing, which is why it's happening more frequently.

Comment

Working...
                X