what is the deal with baking soda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the deal with baking soda

What is the deal with baking soda and how much do we take. I have been flaring for several weeks now and am looking for something to ease the pain. I know that you shouldn't take too much

my doctor told me to use a tsp in half a cup of water or sprite (which I thought we couldn't have). She didn't say how often. It is supposed to make your urine less acidic.
    --------------------
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzesaqhy

Conditions:
    Endometriosis
    Hysterectomy
    IC since 1990, diagnosed 1993
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction diagnosed 2006
    migranes (stopped after seeing chiropractor)
    osteoporosis
    high cholesteral
    IBS (under control)

Current IC meds:
    Just started Elmiron 3/07, very strict IC diet, Hydroxyzine Pam, Diazepam which I think is valium 2mg 3 times day, Urelle, Cysta-Q, Welbutrin, Aleve

Past meds:
    stared Elmiron 2/12/06 stopped 3/06
    Wellbutrin 05 but stopped 05
    Effexor XR 2/18/06 (stopped next day - felt too dizzy)
    Flareups: benedryl, pyridium, prerelief, tens 24/7, advil

Comment

How often should you drink that?

Comment

I wouldn't drink sprite if you are citrus sensitive. I had a small glass of spring with a cherry in it "Shirley Temple" at my nephew's wedding last summer. I was in pain for a couple of days. Plus it was during my ride home from Tampa. Baking soda is supposed to soak up some of the acidity in your food. I can use Alka Seltzer too, only the plain. There were times I drank it almost daily when my bladder was burning so bad. Be careful if you are sensitive to salt...I think. I am sure someone will give you better specifics.

Comment

I use 1/4 teaspoon in about 4 to 6 ounces of water. I don't know how often you should use it, but some days I use it 3 times. Normally, though, I only use it at night.

Comment

I use 1/2 tsp in 1/2 cup of water and that seems to be the one true thing that helps me with the pressure on my bladder...........

Comment

Originally posted by motherof4 View Post
              I use 1/2 tsp in 1/2 cup of water and that seems to be the one true thing that helps me with the pressure on my bladder...........
              do you use it everyday or just before bedtime? VIcky

Comment

I really only do it when I get alot of pressure,but last night I did it before I went to bed and slept great.I guess I know what I'll be drinking before I go to bed tonight

Comment

I use it when I have burning after I urinate.

I notice if I don't attack the acidic/burning problem right away it will soon become more bothersome, turning into frequency, urgency etc.

The inflammation which I developed that caused the burning began from eating or drinking something that irritated my bladder.

Comment

You know in the 22 years I have had IC I have never tried the baking soda cocktail. I tried aloe vera tablets and it was terrible like taking lasix or a water pill. OK I went to the grocery today and I had in my mind go down baking soda aisle. I will get some and try it before I go to bed. I am on that gets up every hour to pee. Sometimes I sleeo 1.5 hours - 2hours is pushing it. I am going to try this baking soda thing tomorrow night. Great my pain md won't give me breakthrough pain meds so I have to resort to baking soda @ night. Vicky

Comment

I actually like it better then prelief,but be careful if you have any heart problems or sodium in take.

Comment

Working...
                      X