Prelief and calcium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelief and calcium

Betty, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me about the calcium in Prelief? My doctor would like me to get 1200 mg. of calcium per day because I am showing signs of Osteopenia. I am taking a total of 8 Prelief per day ( two before each meal and I sprinkle granulated in very weak decaf coffee twice per day), and my Multi Vitamin which has 162mg of calcium, along with 400IU of Vitamin D and 100mg of magnesium. From what I have read in order for calcium to be absorbed you need the Vitamin D and Magnesium so here is my question: is the calcium from prelief getting absorbed in my body since there is no magnesium or Vitamin D in it? Thank you
    Karen
    -----------------------------------
    Start each day with a smile and you'll be surprised how far that smile will go.
    Others will see it, start smiling themselves,and then pass it on to the people they meet.
    Before you know it, the whole world will be smiling!

Dear Karen:

Each Prelief tablet or packet of granulate supplies 65mg (6% of the USRDA for calcium) and 50mg (5% of the USRDA for phosphorus).
    The calcium in Prelief (calcium glycerophosphate) is ionically bound, not covalently bound as is calcium carbonate and is therefore 100% available to the body
    in about 30 seconds, vs up to 30 minutes in
    calcium carbonate. A comparative evaluation study in mice showed that the calcium from CGP (Prelief) was absorbed into the bones better than calcium from other salts.

Betty
    For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

Betty, Thanks for your quick response. That information is very helpful.
      Karen
      -----------------------------------
      Start each day with a smile and you'll be surprised how far that smile will go.
      Others will see it, start smiling themselves,and then pass it on to the people they meet.
      Before you know it, the whole world will be smiling!

Comment

Prelief for Osteoporosis and IC

I actually think that the Prelief works better if I take it regularly with each meal, not just when I think there may be a problem food. So, does that mean that if I'm taking Prelief regularly, such as 6 to 8 tablets per day, along with the right amount of vit D (I take 1000 -2000 as recommended by my uro and gyn) I can count it towards my 1500 cal carbonate or cal citrate daily? That would be great!!

BUT, I did read something about Prelief having a detrimental effect on Hydrocloric Acid in the stomach if too much is ingested - is that a real problem? (See below)

Quote from article: "Contraindications: This compound may reduce the level of hydrochloric acid in your stomach and your ability to digest protein and dietary forms of calcium. Although the manufacturers acknowledge the importance of stomach acid and suggest theyve put this concern to rest, it is still best to only use this product on an as needed basis namely when you eat or drink one of the offending foods or beverages."

Comment

Working...
        X