Baking Soda & Water: how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking Soda & Water: how much?

I read somewhere on this board that many are taking baking soda and water instead of Prelief, both before meals, and some take it before bedtime.

Would those that do, please post the measurement you use: how much baking soda in what size water?

I find it is so very salty - bad taste but OK for my health since I have low blood pressure.
    Thank you,

1/2 a teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. For me, I used warm water. It mixed up easier, plus seemed to go down easier. I hope it helps.

Comment

I use 1/2 tsp in alittle bit of water I mix it good and then I hold my nose and drink it like a shot......

Comment

Baking soda is extremely high in sodium so you may not want to take it frequently.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the replies - very helpful.

Comment

Ice chips and cold water

For me, that disguises the taste better and like others, I hold my nose and down it....but now that I'm taking Dextroamphetamine sulfate, I don't have much need for baking soda.....I still use Prelief though.

Comment

I may be wrong but I have read alot of old and new posts here, my understanding is people use baking soda and water, when their bladder if flaring bad, or they find out they have mistakenly eaten something that will bother them, not as a daily thing more like a rescue thing than a preventor.
              My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I use baking soda in my bath water sometimes for sore muscles from my fibro...maybe I should gulp some down
                I;ll have to try this baking soda thing...see how it works...so I take it after I eat something? or when I get pain???

IBS since 1989
                Fibromyalgia since 2001
                Ocular Rosacea since 2007
                IC July 2008
                Plantar Fasciitis

Meds:
                Tramacet
                Elmiron 100mg X3
                Heparin Instills (once every 3 weeks)

Blessed indeed is the woman who hears many gentle voices call her Mother!

Comment

I tried it for the first time when I went out last week. My bladder was reving up and I was feeling so bad even before I ate. I knew that I had to either go home and lay down when I remembered to ask the waitress for 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 8 oz. of water. I was much better in less than 20 minutes and I had a great night out with my family!
                  Best Wishes,
                  Aleet
                  DX'd with IC 5/08
                  other Dx's~SVT: had Catheter
                  Catheter Ablation Aug 19,2010
                  Migraines, PFD, Hypertension,
                  Prolapsed Pelvic
                  Organs and Degenerative Disc
                  Disease, Kidney stones, Insomnia
                  Two bulging discs w/tears and osteo
                  arthritis in multiple joints in the spine

Current Meds:Elmiron 400 mg per day
                  Benicar Hct 40-25mg for Hypertension
                  Norvasc 2.5
                  Vicoden as needed for pain
                  Cymbalta 30 mg
                  Prelief
                  CystaQ
                  Prosed
                  Lidoderm Patch

Psalm 121
                  I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

"Be Kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

I use the baking soda when the pain starts and in 15-20 minutes I feel better.
                    Nicole

Me and my cat chewbie he is my BFF

Kidney stones August 07

Cystoscopy with Biopsy 10/22/07 by Uro who did not know what was wrong with me sent me to U of M 3/13/08. Was in pain from August to now. I have found some relief with the medications.

Diseases -- Diabetes since 1990 -- Stroke 2000

Comment

Does the baking soda work for frequency too?
                      symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
                      *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
                      100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
                      Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
                      Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
                      Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
                      My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

Hi there,

The baking soda works for me, but only for a day or so. After that it makes things worse. I think it ends up making the urine too alkaline, which is just as abrasive on the bladder as too acid of urine. If you had a wound on your hand, you wouldn't want to put it into lemon juice (acid) nor would you want to put it into bleach (alkaline). It would hurt both ways....so if you think of your bladder having little wounds....it makes sense that a urine pH that is too low OR too high would cause IC patients trouble. Prelief doesn't seem to cause that huge swing in pH.
                        Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                        IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                        IC Diet Website
                        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                        Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                        Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

thanks for the info about the baking soda. Does anyone else have problems a couple of days after doing the baking soda? Now, I'm kinda scared to do it.
                          symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
                          *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
                          100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
                          Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
                          Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
                          Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
                          My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

Originally posted by bjcov View Post
                            Does anyone else have problems a couple of days after doing the baking soda?
                            I use the baking soda & water as a rescue rather than for prevention. It does take the edge off of a flare quickly for me. My typical flare is short, one to two days, with the first six hours or so being really intense. I drink two glasses of water, each with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda as soon as I realize I've begun flare mode. Rarely do I ever need to repeat the process.

I have never had a problem a couple days after.

For prevention (before meals) I use Prelief or Tums.

Vicki
                            Last edited by VickiB; 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM. Reason: addition
                            "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

I take 2 Prelief as soon as I realize that I am going into a flare (burning in the bladder). It seems to work for me.
                              Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
                              http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
                              http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X