Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seem to be over a 4 mo flare! Prelief question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seem to be over a 4 mo flare! Prelief question..

Yikes - I can't believe the end may be in sight. I feel like one of those miners down in Chile and my escape capsule has finally arrived!

I'm planning on being SO careful not to screw up that I've decided to become a Prelief taker just to be sure I don't commit any dietary sins and have a relapse.

I'm watching myself closely but I figure, Prelief after meals can't hurt and it just might help. I have a friend with IC and she says it has helped her through many a dietary close call.

Question: Is it ok just to pop 2 after most (all?) meals??

Thanks!

I am sure others will chime in but I thought we were to take it before meals

Comment

One of the few times I took Prelief in the past was before a meal and I got a terrible, stomach cramping case of diarrhea. That's when I found out that, for me, it would work out much better either with a meal or afterwards.

Thanks.

Comment

It appears as if you have to try it and find out what works best for you.
        When I tired prelief with high hopes it made me quite constipated, you might want to try one at a time at first to see how you react to it.

Remember everyone is different on how they react to meds, and I often get reverse effects.

MG
        My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Hi!

Just wanted to 'pop' in and answer a few questions about Prelief.

Our recommended usage is to take 2 Prelief tablets with each meal and snack. More can be used when needed. Prelief is taken with all meals, regardless of foods eaten, because while some foods are obviously acidic, other acidic foods are not readily recognizable as such.

You take Prelief right with your meal/snack. When you sit down to eat, take some food and then take Prelief. (Some IC patients have reported getting an upset when taking Prelief on an empty stomach.)

Prelief is AkPharma's brand name for calcium glycerophosphate. Each tablet contains 65 mg of elemental calcium (and calcium can be constipating to some people).

I hope this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Betty Corson
          Customer Service
          [email protected]
          1-800-994-4711
          For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

Thanks for your kind comments.

Unfortunately my "remission" was short lived as I went out to dinner to celebrate (!) and I had a cocktail, some sips of my husband's delicious strong coffee and some mini chocolate eclairs....I've slid back down the old hill and have to scramble back up again!

Comment

Prelief

Wow, Iazen,
              When you slip, you REALLY slip!

I take Prelief with meals, after a bite or two of food, and so far have done okay with it, which is kind of surprising since I have a super sensitive digestive tract. Didnt know it could be constipating, though. Interesting.

Anywho, I hope you can get back up that hill very soon.

Feel better,
              Laurie

Comment

Thanks! I had a 'nother miserable day today - couldn't sleep last night. Used all my "tricks" ---heating pad,belly massage, positional change, relaxation tape, deep breathing - nothing worked!
                I lay awake for hours, then, finally, I curled up on my side, tape earbud in my ear, heating pad on my "nether region" - I dozed off for a few hours!
                Wow - starting over!

Comment

Hi all. New here as well. I have been taking Prelief for over a month now and love it. 2 in the morning, 2 at noon and 2 at dinner. On the weekend I even have a glass of wine and it works great. Has anybody ever heard of it causing any health issues? It also helped and I don't use Prevacid anymore. Can it harm your liver and kidneys? I wish you all success. I love hearing what everybody has to say.

Comment

Calcium cautions

Don't forget it is calcium and so you have to pay attention to it going to your bones and not your arteries so educate yourself about vitamin K2 and D and magnesium and vitamin A. Try the National Osteoporosis Foundation's inspire.com or a great book I recommend Lara Pizzorno's "Your Bones" even if you don't have osteoporosis now. Tally up the amount of calcium you are getting from all supplements and food. If Prelief works for you then use that as your source of calcium and kill 2 birds with one stone as the saying goes!
                    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Working...
                    X