No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me how to use Prelief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As do I, take Omeprazole. It is for acid reflux (or GERD) also, which I have. How long have you been on the Omeprazole? It takes a little while to kick in. If I forget to take it for a couple of days, I have a ton of acid in my stomach, and yes, I will flare.

Maybe try keeping a journal/diary and see when you have the most acid. I will take the prelief when I try a "cheat" food. It helps absorb the acids in your stomach so not that much passes through the urine.

Good luck
    Minds are like parachutes-they ony function when they are open.
    -Thomas DeWar-

ICN Newbie Volunteer

*ICN Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Dear Toto:

The stomach produces substantial acid; Omeprazole blocks the production of stomach acid.

For many people, the heartburn they feel is also from the foods they eat, or is made worse by them. Until now, the only solution was to avoid those foods. Now, just take Prelief along with the offending food or drink. Prelief doesn't interfere with your body's stomach acid pump. Taken as directed, Prelief simply takes the acid out of food, when and as you eat that food.

Betty

Betty Corson
      Customer Service
      1-800-994-4711
      For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

Oh...I see. They do work differently. Thanks for the explanation. So the Omeprazole is for the acid in stomach. However, the Prelief takes acid out of food, therefore it can pass through the bladder without bothering it. (we hope)
        Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Prelief

My urologist who diagnosed my IC suggested Prelief, esp since I can't tolerate any of the traditional meds for this problem. I don't take it regularly since I only eat things that i now know don't trigger a flare. Prelief does help but it doesn't allow me to eat really acidic foods such as tomatoes, oranges, etc. Overall I find it helpful. I take 2 after a few bites of a main meal with meat. If I'm just having a pear or something like that I don't take it. I've never been constipated with it, but we're all different.

Comment

Dear Pris:

Our recommended usage is to take 2 Prelief tablets with each meal and snack. More can be used when needed. Prelief is taken with all meals, regardless of foods eaten, because while some foods are obviously acidic, other acidic foods are not readily recognizable as such. Additionally something might be mildly acidic and still be bothersome to an IC patient.
            (Pears may be in that category.)

Betty Corson
            Customer Service
            For additional information on Prelief, please call 1-800-994-4711. AkPharma is a proud sponsor of the IC Network Message Board.

Comment

thanks

Thanks, Betty,

Maybe you can answer this. Where we buy Prelief, the manager says Prelief is being discontinued. Walgreens also said this. We found some on Amazon and ordered a supply but is this rumor or fact?

Pris

Comment

Dear Pris:

Prelief is not being discontinued!! Prelief is alive and well!

I see that you are in Florida. This rumor probably started because Publix (who carried Prelief for sometime), has discontinued selling Prelief due to warehouse space. We are hoping this is a temporary situation, but Prelief is still available at all Walgreen phamacies and can be Special Ordered at any pharmacy including Publix.

Betty Corson
                Customer Service

Comment

thanks!

I'm going to have my husband tell the Publix manager next time he's in that he needs to get his facts straight before telling customers such misinformation. Thank goodness!

Pris
                  ps I can get it on Amazon easily so as long as the product is still there that's how I'll get it

Comment

Dear Pris:

Prelief is available on this website, www.ic-network.com. Click on ICN shop and you can purchase Prelief in the 120 tablet size, as well as the 300 tablet bottle.

Betty

Comment

The 300 pill bottle is on Amazon now for 17.98, opposed to 26.99 on that site. Does that price ever change to be more competitive with other places? I would like to support the site.

Pris

Comment

Pris:

I really do not know, but I suggest you go to the bottom of the page and click on 'Contact Us'. You might want to send them an e-mail.

Betty

Comment

Thanks

Will do!

Pris

Just tried. Couldn't find 'contact us'. I'll call the number.
                          Last edited by Pris; 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Prelief should be taken 15 minutes before eating. It acts like an antacid. It protects your bladder for what you are about to eat.

As for how much to take, I was taking 2 before each meal. My doctor told me I should be taking 10 to 12 tabs every day. I have now increased to taking 3 before each meal and 2 when I snack.

I have found 2 herbs that help a lot: Marshmallow Root and Slippery Elm. They have stopped all my pain after taking for one week. I continue to take 2 tabs each 3 times a day. I plain to add Comfrey Root to my regimen.

Herbs that can best help to sooth, heal and renew the lining are:

Soothers of the mucous membrane such as:
                            comfrey root,
                            marshmallow root, and
                            slippery elm.

Comment

marinesgtheroux, Bladder Elasticity?

You sound very knowledgeable. Part of my problem may be that my bladder has become fibrotic, and the concomitant inelasticity may be both limiting my bladder's capacity, and sending too frequent signals that I "need" to urinate.

Can you recommend anything to take that might increase my bladders elasticity?

Comment

When we eat away from home, I take two Prelief just before taking my first bite of food. It seems to work very well for me that way.

Donna
                                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                                X